An Age of Miracles III: The Romans Endure

Internal support from Arles is underwhelming thanks to skillful intrigue and bribery on the part of Henri II, living up to his moniker “the Spider”.
Henri earned that reputation, but our boy Joao took two cities and surrounding territory, got a promise of a defensive pact, and secret concessions for his co-religionists, all in exchange for running a blockade.

This is going to be a terrible time for the Triunes if Henri passes and his heir has to deal with Joao's Spain, isn't it?

Cryostorm

Donor
Henri earned that reputation, but our boy Joao took two cities and surrounding territory, got a promise of a defensive pact, and secret concessions for his co-religionists, all in exchange for running a blockade.

This is going to be a terrible time for the Triunes if Henri passes and his heir has to deal with Joao's Spain, isn't it?
What's going to be really fun is that I bet Henri is going to die and his son ascend, manage to keep things together, and inhereting Arles is what causes everything to explode. Or vice versa with Henri doing a good job in the war and then kicking the bucket midway.

Cannot wait to see how the political and diplomatic games between Joao and Henri play out. Henri has conquered a massive state and has his eyes set on even more but he's alienated everyone in Europe in the process while Joao has spent the time building alliances, preparing his nation and gaining cheap expansions. If he manages to get a power in Central Europe on his side, say the Hungarians (they control Austria and bohemia if I remember correctly) then he'd have the Triunes surrounded. Couple that with the Triune prince having some red flags about him and potential unrest in England and Ireland and it looks like Henri's Empire's days are numbered. I wonder what his reaction will be to these moves, I imagine he'll know about them and their purpose, I reckon the straw that might break the camels back might be Joao trying to unify with aragon like Henri is with arles

I also have plans for this developing classical interest; I've already mentioned the inklings of the Grand Tour. I like the idea of this developing into a broader itinerary that starts in Rome and then goes through the eastern Mediterranean.
I've heard a lot about the Grand Tour. Hopefully, it's a trend that catches onto the Latin and Orthodox upper class.

So far almost everything that I expected out of Spain and the Roman Empire's dealings has been met, with Joao promising support and ships in exchange for the restoration of the Papal States. The one thing that I wasn't expecting was Malacca, which is arguably a more bitter pill to swallow for the Romans than the Eternal City itself. Still, having support from the Latin world to win the war is worth that sacrifice.

Joao now has something rather more serious. Sophia agrees to a military alliance with Spain, in public a defensive pact covering their respective European territories, but in a secret clause this is really directed against allowing a Triune union with Arles.
Two of my favorite An Age of Miracles nations having a secret alliance together? Now we're talking.

The Triunes are honestly terrifying as an enemy on their doorstep so I'm not surprised Spain and Aragon desperately need Roman support (and to a lesser extent, the Orthodox world) as a future deterrent.

Now comes the payoff for Sophia and her partisans. The first is in Italy. Joao has supported the rebellion in Rome and in return condemns the one in Naples.
Yup, just as I expected, Spain abandoned the Catholic rebels in Sicily. It's ultimately very tragic but par on the course when it comes to politics. I wouldn't be surprised if poor Catholics have a crisis of faith when the leading Latin powers and the Papacy condemn their legitimate grievances and desire for independence.

The decline of his offer doesn’t bother Joao since he thereby gets what he wants more cheaply. But he promptly sets to work to fulfill his end of the bargain, dispatching orders to the relevant naval yards to begin preparing the fleet.
Joao and Spain have been the winners in this whole exchange, having Roman support against the Triunes, restoring the Papacy, and getting back lost territories in the East.

I think Spanish historians might mistakenly believe this treaty was perfectly planned from the beginning due to the sheer success of the treaty's outcome for Spain, even though documents from this period would've revealed his inaction toward this crisis from the start, had it not been for the anti-Latin pogrom.

As for a post-Tourmarches Rhomania, having a friendly diplomatic link with a strong Latin power like Spain might lead to a more substantial peace in the long run. Combined with the Ottomans and Russia, Rhomania could be in for a very peaceful few decades or even centuries before war inevitably returns to the Roman Empire once again.

Still, there are some things that are concerning to a post-Tourmarches Rhomania like the Holy Roman Empire (which are too weak and divided to do anything substantial despite rabid anti-Roman rhetoric) and the Triunes, which ought to be respected as a genuine foreign threat once they set their sights on Arles.

"Whoever is lord of Malacca has his hand on the throat of Venice.”

Well, I hope it does not apply to Constantinople as well.

Don't care about Rome, but Malacca is probably much more valuable in this era.

Romans again managing to give away what they paid dearly in blood (I think Mosul was also lost?)... Civil wars are yucky.

"Whoever is lord of Malacca has his hand on the throat of Venice.”

Well, I hope it does not apply to Constantinople as well.

Don't care about Rome, but Malacca is probably much more valuable in this era.

Romans again managing to give away what they paid dearly in blood (I think Mosul was also lost?)... Civil wars are yucky.
Well, there is a small insignificant fishing village called Singapore not all that far away from Malacca. With a little bit of investment that place might become useful.