Alright, I'm back from my vacation now. So, where to go from here? I've already hinted at an update on the Irish Famine (Ireland in the Early-Mid 19th Century ITTL isn't all that different from OTL, the conditions for a devastating potato blight are still there), and I think I'm gonna do an update on French Florida soon, but any other suggestions?
EDIT: I just remembered that I hinted at something similar to the Revolutions of 1848 at the end of my last update, hmm...

Last edited:
Bear in mind that the potato crop failure isn't confined to Ireland and death and migration levels in Prussia and parts of France were comparable.

Bear in mind that the potato crop failure isn't confined to Ireland and death and migration levels in Prussia and parts of France were comparable.

Yes, the potato blight effected the worlds potato crop. It was a combination on the Irish's reliance on the crop, along with Britain's serious mismanagement and exploitation, that created The Potato Famine.

I knew that the Potato Blight didn't just affect Ireland, but the Irish got hit the hardest.
Actually that is highly debatable. Because Ireland was dominated politically by Britain there was a lot of Nationalist political traction in maximising the callousness and ineptitude of Westminster that didn't exist in Prussia or France because it was their own government rather than their alien overlords who were responsible for the debacle.

At the end of the previous update, I hinted at something analogous to the Revolutions of 1848 occurring in Europe (and possibly in the Americas as well). What country is most likely to have a successful republican revolution? I'm no expert on Mid 19th Century European Geopolitics, especially those from an alternate history timeline, so help would be most appreciated.

Anything west of the Appalachians that isn't colonized by England and Spain would definitely be an option. Louisiana, The Midwest, Central Canada, and Pacific Northwest would be perfect.

Do Communism and Fascism (or something analogous to those two ideologies) still exist ITTL? Poll below.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18179418
So far, the leading option is that neither Communism or Fascism exist ITTL.
Please pick the option you think is most likely to occur, not the one you find most desirable, but so far, the leading option is that neither Communism or Fascism exist ITTL.
Nearly 100,000,000 people were killed by Communist regimes in the 20th Century (50,000,000 in China alone, as well as 20,000,000 in Russia under Stalin), and tens of millions more were killed by Fascist regimes (and tens of millions more by WW2, which was started by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan). No Holocaust, No Holodomor, No Great Leap Forward, No Gulags, No Khmer Rouge etc.
This is going to be a much, much better world than our own, assuming this is the result.

Please pick the option you think is most likely to occur, not the one you find most desirable, but so far, the leading option is that neither Communism or Fascism exist ITTL.
Nearly 100,000,000 people were killed by Communist regimes in the 20th Century (50,000,000 in China alone, as well as 20,000,000 in Russia under Stalin), and tens of millions more were killed by Fascist regimes (and tens of millions more by WW2, which was started by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan). No Holocaust, No Holodomor, No Great Leap Forward, No Gulags, No Khmer Rouge etc.
This is going to be a much, much better world than our own, assuming this is the result.
That is assuming some equally terrible (or worse) ideologies don't form in this world.

What world is going to be a much better world and are you creating another alternate timeline and if you are please quote me the link.

Re the Irish Famine, I am reposting two posts of mine from earlier discussions. Thom's Almanac of 1862 wouldn't of course have been as aware as we are today of the link between malnutrition and decreased resistance to disease and the official statistics would not have reported deaths en voyage to America or Australia either. Still I have reason to believe the number of deaths in the Irish Famine to be significantly overreported.

The classes that suffered most from the Irish Famine were the relatively unskilled peasant farmers. Skilled workers in the burgeoning industries of Northern Ireland and Dublin weren't much affected (cousins of mine still have the journal of an ancestor who worked for the Dunbar McMaster company in Gilford Co. Armagh. In 1849, he makes 42 references to whether Gilford will be able to hold a local market, 79 references to the activities of the company and one reference to "great distress in poor and remote districts" due to failure of the potato crop - and this was a (comparatively humble) skilled worker not a senior manager or company director).

I think the 1.5 million figure is incorrect and actually refers to the depopulation figures. Dublin and Belfast both had over 250,000 people in the 1860s and Cork and (London) Derry both over 50,000. As the remainder of Ireland was not a depopulated waste we can safely assume that the loss was not therefore as high as 1.5 million. Unfortunately the burning of the Four Courts in 1922 destroyed the returns for the 1851 census but:-

"From Thom's Almanac and Official Directory, 1862

Decline of the population in Ireland.—The people of Ireland in 1851 proved to be 1,622,739 less numerous than in 1841, a diminution commonly attributed to the famine consequent on the potato failure in 1845 and subsequent years. The mortality of that period having been concentrated in workhouses and temporary hospitals, and having ravaged some portions of the country, in which disease prevailed with extraordinary virulence, the great loss of population has been usually accounted for by estimating the deaths generally according to their extent in the severely visited localities; but the Mortality Returns, founded on the Census of 1851, show that the deaths from 1841 were not, in the aggregate, excessive. In the emigration to America, migration to Great Britain, and the decrease of births, the causes of decline are to be found.

Of the children living in 1841 and 1851, the Census of each period supplies the following totals of the number born within twelve months preceding :—

1841 1851
Leinster 46,348 34,451
Munster 61,389 34,653
Ulster 57,466 42,875
Connaught 37,263 20,613
TOTAL 202,466 132,592"

The population dropped to around 6.4 million and continued to drop as improved communications and better prospects made emigration more attractive. Wages in Britain were around 15% higher during the period and the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa were all opening up. By 1911, the population had dropped to 4, 390,000. Population has only started to climb again following the decline of emigration opportunities and has not yet reached pre-Famine levels. 1.9 million people in NI, 4.72 million in ROI = 6.62 million people.