Any Avignon Pope is a dead man walking if they try heading back to Rome, the city is being happily ran by the nobles free of Papal influence, they don't want to mess that up.
Yep, and the HRE is in for a good while of chaos without a ruler, can't wait for the habsburgs to claim the crown, got a feeling that eastern rome will eventually recognize them as the heirs of western rome

Great chapter @Averious, nice showing of the religious battles throughout Europe. Gregory XI has greatly damaged the reputation of the Papacy throughout Christendom with his actions. It's not at all helped with his callous insults towards the Romans and John V's masterful response. Calls for reform will only grow stronger throughout the various kingdoms.

You think we can get a map of Italy and how much territory the Montferrat-Palaiologos branch hold?

Would love to get a chapter on the Angevins of Hungary-Croatia-Poland, ruling such a realm without a clear male heir must be very difficult.

Keep up the amazing work 👍👍👍👍
Very few Catholics actually care that Gregory threatened, and insulted, the Romans; they take issue with his arrogance in presuming he can use them all like a club whenever he wishes--the fact that he was generally being distasteful only added to it.

As for a map of the Palaeologus-Montferrat holdings, I can do that, but I will be open in saying that their current domains won't last as they are past Otto I/III--they'll split into Palaeologus-Montferrat under John III, Otto's brother, and then Palaeologus-Anjou in Naples under Louis I, Otto's son with Joanna.

The branches will only be united again through a sort of bridging marriage a good bit down line, which I will hide with a spoiler;
As I've conceived of it thus far, first the Palaeologus-Montferrat will die out in the male-line, intermarrying with the Medici who then become the Palaeologus-Medici, and then the Palaeologus-Anjou will in turn suffer a similar fate. By that point we're well into the late 1600's and Italy's unification is basically a given by the 1700's under the Palaeologus-Medici, who are often just referred to in a similar way to Habsburg-Lorraine (ala, just by one), as the Medici.

Sadly, Angevin Hungary-Croatia-Poland is going to split in half come the next chapter, but said chapter will detail how it goes about--of which, the fact that Catherine of Hungary, Louis the Great's eldest child, hasn't died as OTL, and instead has a powerful marriage slated, will play into things a lot.
As expected with the pope remaining in France, Italy will be much more receptive to Orthodoxic Christianity
Perhaps.
@Averious ! Amazing work! and what a badass letter from John!

Wow the pope really did not help his case huh?

And surprised that edward III lives a bit longer
Glad you enjoyed the letter! No, Gregory didn't help his case much at all, lol.

As for Edward III living longer, it is only by a year, as will be shown in the next chapter; I'd attribute it to a healthy Black Prince being around.
Also, wouldn't Joanna of Naples be in her 50s (53 IIRC) by the time she and Otto have Prince Louis? A miracle baby if I ever saw one 🤣🤣🤣.
Any Avignon Pope is a dead man walking if they try heading back to Rome, the city is being happily ran by the nobles free of Papal influence, they don't want to mess that up.
Yep, and the HRE is in for a good while of chaos without a ruler, can't wait for the habsburgs to claim the crown, got a feeling that eastern rome will eventually recognize them as the heirs of western rome
A miracle baby sure, but as with most babies born to women well-past 35 he's going to have a few quirks 🤣

Not quite free of Papal influence, but they definitely de facto ignore it. They run Rome 'at the Pope's pleasure'--but as we can tell, in reality, this effectively means the Pope's only have real control over Avignon, and very little else, although this will change down the line.

As for the HRE? Yes, a lot of chaos. Consideirng Charles IV ended up being unable to outright cripple the Wittelsbachs as OTL, and thus empower his dynasty at their expense, I don't see the Luxembourgers gaining the Imperial Crown again--especially because of who Catherine marries come next chapter.

Yes, I am being very cryptic 🤣

As I've conceived of it thus far, first the Palaeologus-Montferrat will die out in the male-line, intermarrying with the Medici who then become the Palaeologus-Medici, and then the Palaeologus-Anjou will in turn suffer a similar fate. By that point we're well into the late 1600's and Italy's unification is basically a given by the 1700's under the Palaeologus-Medici, who are often just referred to in a similar way to Habsburg-Lorraine (ala, just by one), as the Medici.
LOVE IT! that family is legendary.

Glad you enjoyed the letter! No, Gregory didn't help his case much at all, lol.

As for Edward III living longer, it is only by a year, as will be shown in the next chapter; I'd attribute it to a healthy Black Prince being around.
yep, classic papal arrogance

And yeah, makes sense.

As for the HRE? Yes, a lot of chaos. Consideirng Charles IV ended up being unable to outright cripple the Wittelsbachs as OTL, and thus empower his dynasty at their expense, I don't see the Luxembourgers gaining the Imperial Crown again--especially because of who Catherine marries come next chapter.
very interesting, Rooting for the habsburgs all the way though