Planetocopia Map Thread

q0bc3x3q1wzc1.jpeg

I did an expanded Köppen-Geiger climate key, because…why not?

For clarification, X type climates have at least part of the year with monthly averages surpassing 45C, at which point photosynthesis for Earth-based plants becomes functionally impossible, and Xx is like that year round, being uninhabitable for anything except microbes at best, regardless of humidity.

Well, the small x on those signifies that the warmest month in those zones averages at least 30C instead of the standard “hot summer” 22C cutoff point, signifying very hot summers along with winters too cool to be considered tropical. A similar deal is with the hypercontinental climates on the right, which frankly are convoluted and sound horrendous to live in. But high obiquity worlds would face this at high latitudes
What do you mean by "extrreme" for the mention of extreme climates in the temperate ones. This I'm legit curious about. 🍿

Well, the small x on those signifies that the warmest month in those zones averages at least 30C instead of the standard “hot summer” 22C cutoff point, signifying very hot summers along with winters too cool to be considered tropical. A similar deal is with the hypercontinental climates on the right, which frankly are convoluted and sound horrendous to live in. But high obiquity worlds would face this at high latitudes
Good lord. This makes some of the hypothetical climate zones in his obliquity/eccentricity maps not only make more sense but become far more horrifying in context.

So, I tried to Simulate Brazil but with way less erosion, like 7.6 times erosion throughout the building of the Andes to try and simulated less erosion under desert conditions and I knew there was a chance for an introgression but I didn't think it'll pass both the high that separated the Pebas from Venezuela and Venezuela from the Old world.

I calculated the less sedimentation and the used a dynamic topography mask that should roughly simulate the shape of the bedrock beneath sediment, over modern topography at a transpiracy that got me the lowest point I calculated. If this method is faulty and you know a better one, gib advice.

vnrrwm2ibe0d1.png

It is slightly below the Jaredia sea level we're using but I checked another way and it'll have to be like, Last Glacial Maximum levels for this not to be this not to be under water. I guess given that if conditions were like this, the desert wouldn't be a thing in the first place I have lee way to edit it until it is mostly back to dry land.

But yeah, Desert Brazil turns into an Inland Sea is the summary.

Edit

Oh, I see what the problem was. The Orinoco is Sealevel and by the very nature of its erosion, deposition and sedimentation, it'll always be sealevel. Now, I don't know what to do about it, simply importing a Sea level and slightly above layer would look weird. Uh....

Last edited:
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 15-14-36 Evolution of the Chinese Coastline 19000 BC-2020 MAJOR ERRORS.png

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 15-14-30 Evolution of the Chinese Coastline 19000 BC-2020 MAJOR ERRORS.png

Later I am going to redraw the coast of China to follow this. I get glacier pressure didn't affect it but like with Doggerland and the Eridanos, it was built up by deposition from a growing mountain and if Jaredia is as climatically stable as they say it should be, like stable enough for the tip of South Africa to remian unfrozen for millions of years, then this deposition should be able to happen over stable sea levels and never be lost to sea level rise, like basically the same reason Doggerland survives in TTL, as well.