Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

I made a patch for the Dutch East Indies in 1940-1941, showing the autonomous states and lower level subdivisions.

I'm pretty confident about most of the native states, although I'm not too convinced with New Guinea; the very few sources I found contradict each other, and I couldn't be sure about Kaimana's territorial extension; in the end I mostly followed the current regency's borders. New Guinea's subdistrict borders are mostly guesses too.

Also someone should look into what New Guinea's status really was; there was the Kaimana Kingdom, but the rest of the territory itself, while administered directly by the Dutch, was legally territory of the Sultanate of Tidore; although I could not find the extent of said claim.

Feel free to use and/or improve upon!

DEI QBAM.png

Last edited:
I made a patch for the Dutch East Indies in 1940-1941, showing the autonomous states and lower level subdivisions.

I'm pretty confident about most of the native states, although I'm not too convinced with New Guinea; the very few sources I found contradict each other, and I couldn't be sure about Kaimana's territorial extension; in the end I mostly followed the current regency's borders. New Guinea's subdistrict borders are mostly guesses too.

Also someone should look into what New Guinea's status really was; there was the Kaimana Kingdom, but the rest of the territory itself, while administered directly by the Dutch, was legally territory of the Sultanate of Tidore; although I could not find the extent of said claim.

View attachment 906879
This is gorgeous 0:

View attachment 906879
I am an Indonesian, and this is accurate map for Tidore. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sultanate_of_Tidore_in_1800.png

Though it was more suzerainty, so a legal fiction. The administrative divisions used weren't even considering Tidorean's claim, except during 1898 where they created Afdeeling Noord-Nieuw-Guinea (Manokwari), and Afdeeling West-En-Zuid-Nieuw-Guinea (Fakfak), though the last was more like Fak-fak other than in name, while the Zuid/Merauke part would be claimed in 1901 and directly ruled.

In others, I saw in accuracy. Like there were still some kingdoms in Bali, only Lombok was directly ruled in Nusa Tenggara. Tanah Bumbu was already directly ruled IIRC, while Karawang/Purwakarta was under Batavia. Also, I noticed that it used modern regency/city borders, while the districts (abolished) and subdistricts were moved between the regencies/cities. Surabaya and Bogor were dead giveaways.

Check out Indonesianhistory.info on wayback machine, Robert Cribb gave out a really nice map (though watermarked.

I am an Indonesian, and this is accurate map for Tidore. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sultanate_of_Tidore_in_1800.png

Though it was more suzerainty, so a legal fiction. The administrative divisions used weren't even considering Tidorean's claim, except during 1898 where they created Afdeeling Noord-Nieuw-Guinea (Manokwari), and Afdeeling West-En-Zuid-Nieuw-Guinea (Fakfak), though the last was more like Fak-fak other than in name, while the Zuid/Merauke part would be claimed in 1901 and directly ruled.

In others, I saw in accuracy. Like there were still some kingdoms in Bali, only Lombok was directly ruled in Nusa Tenggara. Tanah Bumbu was already directly ruled IIRC, while Karawang/Purwakarta was under Batavia. Also, I noticed that it used modern regency/city borders, while the districts (abolished) and subdistricts were moved between the regencies/cities. Surabaya and Bogor were dead giveaways.

Check out Indonesianhistory.info on wayback machine, Robert Cribb gave out a really nice map (though watermarked.
Updated New Guinea's divisions with your sources:

DEI QBAM.png

And yeah, I mostly used current regency borders due to a lack of material showing concurrent district/subdistrict borders; I traced them from Hisatlas' maps, which showed correlation between colonial districts and current regencies.

Attached you can find where I got most of the subdivisions from:

Attachments

• 194102IN.gif
    194102IN.gif
    263.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Updated New Guinea's divisions with your sources:
snip
The current regencies and colonial ones are..well mostly still continuing to exist, yes. However it has almost completely different borders, due to districts and subdistricts being moved around. It's why I really recommend using Robert Cribb's maps as the base, as it's accurate per the 1930 division used for the last census of Dutch East Indies.

Oh yeah, I have a friend, his tweets also have some maps collected from various sources, https://fxtwitter.com/adepedia. but I guess you need to hunt around in the media, the latest he shared was the 1914 maps. Also another example, this thread has map of the 1942 Uleebalang in Aceh.
Javanese residencies in 1942: District borders in 1936, though there are changes after it: You can compare it to his spreadhseet of district borders in 1942:
Note, yes. I once asked general permission for whether I could share his twitter to everyone interested in Indonesian maps, and he said yes. I hope it's useful, I really appreciate your work. As the internal borders were pretty fluid, I would suggest to do the 1905 and 1930 (censuses, hence important), and 1942. Of course that's up to you