Reconstruction: The Second American Revolution - The Sequel to Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid

Looking forward to this, what will surely be the second part of a dual triumph with regards to your writing. The reprobate southron elites have been weighed in the balance and found wanting. May their memory now fall before the scythe of liberty.

So the battle to win the peace has begun...

Demobilization has inevitably happened, leaving the U.S. Army with 100k troops (I presume given the typo), roughly the same as historical (87k in Jan 1866) and reasonable given expiration of terms. That does lead me to wonder how Reconstruction will be initially handled. IOTL Grant figured that the best thing to do was to conciliate the white Southerners, even requesting the disbandment of Northern Black regiments. ITTL Grant is more supportive of land redistribution and anti-black violence is so blatantly obvious, he might seek out a more aggressive response. I wonder if this is where paramilitaries come in and what will Grant think of them. Does the 100k include the national or is it still in the process of being formed?

The US army going to have fun kicking ass putting down all the revolts and insurgencies in the next decades. Like when the Normen had to crush and tame England after their invasion.

Rebuilding the State government and reorganizing their bureaucracies must be a dream to many Northern officials.
Time to make things efficient 🤣

Yes!

The next step in universal freedom and brotherhood has been taken!

I am saddened that I can only give one like per post. This is probably my second favorite timeline on this site. Only Calbears Anglo American Nazi War tops this in my opinion.

Keep up the great work and can't wait for the next step in Reconstruction.

it feels sad leaving that thread thats been there since high school...yet I know this new one will be just as good
Red ,Thank you for taking us on this journey!

Frankly, there shouldn't be any agriculture in the South ITTL. Just factories.
You are not growing oranges, pears, tomatoes, cucumbers and other such things in the Northern states -the climate doesn't allow it. Therefore you are stuck with a whole lot of farm work in former rebel lands.

You are not growing oranges, pears, tomatoes, cucumbers and other such things in the Northern states -the climate doesn't allow it. Therefore you are stuck with a whole lot of farm work in former rebel lands.
Good point. Still, I have a feeling there's gonna be a LOT more industry down south ITTL

You know what? I'm actually really looking forward to Roscoe Conkling showing up in the timeline - despite his staunch advocacy against Civil Service Reform, he was also a Radical Republican and a staunch supporter of Civil Rights. And I, for one, think that our good author could have a lot of fun working him into the narritive. Though the Presidency is probably not in the cards; it would be fascinating to see him on the Supreme Court someday, or simply remain in the Senate and become one of those quirky pesonalistic figures that show up during this era of American history :)

Considering how parts of the South is almost like Mad Max in a low tech settling, would the mail man have to be shooting his way through the insurgents to do his routes because that would make for some cool dime novels.

Considering how parts of the South is almost like Mad Max in a low tech settling, would the mail man have to be shooting his way through the insurgents to do his routes because that would make for some cool dime novels.
I could see some dime novels and penny dreadful westerns in later decades of the 19th century about people in the lawless south. Maybe we'll see a counterpart genre to the western, the "southern".

Like when the Normen had to crush and tame England after their invasion.
I'd say the Harrying of the North equivalent was basically TTL ACW with all the retaliation killings/massacres/famine/etc. We already have our William the Bastard figure in William Tecumseh Sherman.

I could see some dime novels and penny dreadful westerns in later decades of the 19th century about people in the lawless south. Maybe we'll see a counterpart genre to the western, the "southern".
Main problem I see to making this a full on genre is that eventually, Southern Whites are going to regain both their political franchise and their voice in society. It’ll be a different voice but itll still be one which is going to be touchy about how their portrayed.

Main problem I see to making this a full on genre is that eventually, Southern Whites are going to regain both their political franchise and their voice in society. It’ll be a different voice but itll still be one which is going to be touchy about how their portrayed.
Well that's when the genre evolves and characters shift from being brave former members of the Massachusetts 54th hunting down war criminals to Confederate deserters tracking down their junta supporting former commanders for revenge.

Then as time goes on, the genre will continue to evolve alongside America's conception of the south and the south's conception of itself.

I was very excited for the next installment and the first chapter did not dissapoint. Welcome back, and I eagerly await future contributions!