Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

“Your presence has also been requested in Buenos Aires by President Martínez” Steinmann continued, “It seems that he has unfinished business with you. Something about saving the life of an Argentine National.”

The meeting continued and it grew more evident that this whole thing was seeped in politics.
Tsk tsk...Kiki, after this long living in this TL, wouldn't you have learned by now that No Good Deed Goes Unpunished?
All Kiki wanted to do was go back to Kiel so that she could hug Nina and Rauchbier. Things were far simpler with them.
And you worried about being a bad mother :p

“They are ready for you Frau Oberfeldarzt” The Secretary said before resuming her typing.

“Good morning Doctor von Preussen” The Generalstabsarzt in charge of this committee said as she entered.

“Professor” Kiki replied as she took her seat, trying to keep her voice neutral.
So I find those greetings interesting.

Now I'm assuming it wasn't purpose. And we're in an ATL here as well. And well, I don't honestly know if the same conversational conventions were a thing in Germany (vs Austria) or with the German military.

But if this was the early 70s OTL Austria... Then the Secretary would have just implied that Kiki wasn't holding the rank herself, but was the wife of a Oberfeldarzt. (The last big discussion in that vein IIRC was the 'Frau Landshauptmann' thing in the mid 90s - though the jokes about the fastest way to a doctorate being via marriage persist.)

And then contrast with her actual superiors greeting with the civilian title, as opposed to the military one. (And not as 'Frau Doctor' - but a personal address via family name.)

And then of course, there is Kiki using a civilian title to response as well. (Though again, dropping the name - and then trying to judge that in between translation, something that should sound informal especially compared to the address by Steinmann.)

Again, not sure if intentional. Not sure if even applicable.

But it amused me, after doing a double take. I doubt I'd have noticed if it wasn't for the contrast between the two greetings, but well...

Monty Python, who else?
And of course, two versions should be shot of that sketch, one with Zella and the Reichstag in German, the other with Richard Attenborough and the Houses of Parliament, (also conveniently on the Spree), in English. The Thames was a disaster zone around this time.

And yes, Kaiserliches Ministerium für dumme Spaziergänge is an absolute must. It would probably work far better in Germany than England.

ferdi254

Banned
Well demoting her or any other measure had become impossible after the President of Argentine has intervened.
But her resuming treatment, well the only thing I would add that someone should take care of the underlying problems of Kiki. Which might be seriously harder than a PTSD treatment.

And hugging the dog, the baby and the husband is always good advice for everybody involved.

Oh bugger, I've just realised...
Nothing to butterfly away Godzilla has occurred, if anything, it was intensified.

Monty Python do the sketch about mutant fish taking over Berlin, complete with Graham Chapman as a German General telling everyone to stop that, that's silly, going on a rant about how there's no such thing as mutant fish that could take over Berlin, if there were he would know about it because the military always know about such things, then telling the sketch to carry on but stop being silly just before he is eaten by a giant animated mutant fish, and the next thing you know, Tokyo is stomped flat by a giant conga eel, (no, I have no idea how a fish with no feet can stomp a city), only to be driven off by the toxic fire breath of Godzilla.

It's the 70's. These things happen.

ferdi254

Banned
And now to something completely different.
After having seen every MP sketch in English and all that were translated into German I can tell you there is but one where the German version beats the English one and that is the one with dead parrot.

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
Not so sure about Godzilla AFAIR he grew because of radiation from atomic tests. iTTL no nukes have been used so far and no extensive atmospheric testing either.

The Psychology of Kiki is very fascinating to me as she realizes at a very young age that a powerful nation wanted her dead even before she was born and that her cousin who was presented as one of her minders was almost killed by the same people who wanted to see her dead.
Her biggest role model is someone who literally can not take praise without feeling unworthy of it then gets depressed when she is awarded the honors that she has more then earned.
Kiki also has a morbid fascination with the fates of the deposed Bourbon Monarchy of France and the Romanovs of Russia and probably had nightmares herself of running through the snow in rural British Columbia trying to escape a Soviet hit team.
It didn't help that there was someone who was so fixated on her very existence that she was kidnapped and almost killed her.
With all of that background no wonder Kiki is obsessed with proving herself and will always in one form or another find herself wanting.
Fortunately she has Ben to provide her with perspective and unconditional love.

Always look on the dark side of life!
My life is utterly amazing.
My parents are very very rich.
I went to the very best schools.
And I mastered every field I could!
I play music with the stars.
And have medals that run for miles.
And my own private crater on the moon.
But I must always look on the dark side of life.