A New Beginning - Our 1992 Russian Federation

But secretly coordinating with USA chief adversary in the region is completely another thing, especially if this threatens the security of Türkiye which is member of NATO and another potential partner for us. While I'm open to business with Iran i personally have no intention to encourage , or put Russia's weight behind any adventuristic policies that may come from Iran, this just asks for worsening of relationships with USA/West, something we don't want as it may impact our economic development. Not to mention otl events are more than good enough and we should avoid overreaching ourselves. If anything USA going to middle east will be good for us and relations with Türkiye will need to be normalized regardless of the outcome in Cyprus/Greece.
Fair enough, though we do have have a potential card if things escalate to much, Abdullah Öcalan should be coming to Moscow soon to normalise relations with Türkiye.

I was thinking of this being a opportunity to develop a further with Iran given for at least a bit we will be working together mutually block Turkish influence in Central Asia, working to contain and mutual profit would be decent opportunity to build upon relations into something but if you feel it's to risky I'm willing to listen.

Regarding Iraq itself? Currently it's still under Saddam and we have no reason to work with Iran against him, USA if things go peer otl will hand Iraq to Iran on silver platter and we'll be there to profit.
For Iraq, was thinking of gaining both influence over the various Iraqi parties inside Iran when they take over but

To sum it up we should keep Cyprus Isolated incident aimed at expanding Russian influence in East Mediterranean and Balkans, opposed to trying to make it into something more. Lets remember that the reason why we were so successful geopolitically is because we have chosen our battles wisely and had always taken USA dedication and interests in our decisions (Moldavia, Georgia and Bosnia weren't really priorities for USA and this is why we were successful there when we put our foot down). Regarding Iran? That relationship should continue to be strictly economical.
I feel we may have the biggest disagreement here, as I see the former being the same as the later.

By that I don't think this incident can be isolated in nature because the board in the middle east. In a year Türkiye will be threating to invade Syria for example, Iran, Iraq and Syria to a degree are pushing against the status quo in the region. It will have repercussions through the region and I believe we can exploit it.

That being said being I can see now how moving to quickly could bring more heat to Russia and potentially mess up relations if it looks like we are the instigator of it.

That and Iran could approach Russia in the aftermath than make the first step.

Football in Russia TL
Btw, our dear friend @someguywithpotato started his own TL set in Our Russian Federation world!

17302447_7.png

(Gas from Russia to Southern Europe - a source of money and Russian influence in Europe)
SouthStream does offer an opportunity for increased influence in Bulgaria which we seek to bring into EEU/CSTO, Hungary where I wonder how likely it would be for us to entice them to choose EEU over EU and of course Yugoslavia would certainly benefit from cheaper fuel.
Just as with the OTL project we can also arrange for branches going to North Macedonia as part of getting them into EEU alongside supporting the Slavic Government against the rebellious Albanian militants (Alongside Yugoslavia). Other branches could go to Banja Luka, the capital of Republica Srpska and Montenegro (especially if we get a naval base in Bari). Personally I call the route from Bulgaria to Austria SerbStream.
Also, unlike with OTL 2009 in TTL we have less incentive to go through Turkish waters for the pipeline as opposed to Ukrainian ones seen as we do have a more firm hold of Ukraine.
In the meantime, citizens of Kaliningrad decided in a referendum that the name of their city should remain unchanged.
Yay!!
3. Which party is going to win next legislative elections in Russia?
A) Sobchak's United Labour Party of Russia;
B) Nemtsov's Union of Right Forces;
C) Yavlinsky's Yabloko.
B) Nemtsov's Union of Right Forces;

2. President Fyodorov is about to travel to Tehran to meet with new reformist president of Iran? How should the negotiations between Russia and should be handled?
Supporting @Kriss here

1. Please write down, how should the Russian government react to the Cypriot S-300 crisis?
I agree with @ruffino and @boredviewer1234.

A) The Grand Coalition - United Labor Party of Russia + Union of Right Forces;
B) The Blast from the Past - winning party + Communist Party of RF + Agrarian Party;
C) A turn to West - winning party + Yabloko + Agrarian Party;
D) Prepare for trouble and make it double - winning party + Yabloko + Communist Party of RF.

*taking Zhirinovsky and Agrarian Party into coalition is always optional :)
A) The Grand Coalition - United Labor Party of Russia + Union of Right Forces

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I would like to point out that thanks to the more stable planned dissolution of the USSR and the immediate establishment of CIS/EEU/CSTO, Turkish influence should be much weaker in Azerbaijan and the Stans while Russian influence is also much greater even without counting the Russian Miracle that is the resurgence of Russian Power in the 90s. Also Turkey is honestly too uncontrollable for my tastes especially compared to Greece which is weaker or Iran which has a greater need of Russian support in order to combat their US forced Isolation. Hell, with Russia allowing for Iranian access to thr global economy, Iran will be less inclined to criple Iraq.
It should be in the interest of Moscow to seek to become the arbiter between Lebanon-Syria-Iraq-Iran. We already have Iran, now we need only wait for Iraq and Syria. Once Russian influence in others have been secured Lebanon should follow.
Of course this does mean allying with Israel's enemies and with Caucasus +Bulgaria and even possibly Greece +Cyprus we are encircling Turkey coincidentally.

I was thinking of this being a opportunity to develop a further with Iran given for at least a bit we will be working together mutually block Turkish influence in Central Asia, working to contain and mutual profit would be decent opportunity to build upon relations into something but if you feel it's to risky I'm willing to listen.

We are already cooperating with Iran in Central Asia and Caucusus, what we should avoid doing for now is encouraging Iran from going further.

For Iraq, was thinking of gaining both influence over the various Iraqi parties inside Iran when they take over but

As of now we should continue doing business with both Iran and Iraq and once Iran takes over we will still be welcome in Iraq, just without greater geopolitical entanglement, or commitments. But Iran itself won't have necessary capital to provide foe Iraq, that'll come from us and China.

I feel we may have the biggest disagreement here, as I see the former being the same as the later.

By that I don't think this incident can be isolated in nature because the board in the middle east. In a year Türkiye will be threating to invade Syria for example, Iran, Iraq and Syria to a degree are pushing against the status quo in the region. It will have repercussions through the region and I believe we can exploit it.

That being said being I can see now how moving to quickly could bring more heat to Russia and potentially mess up relations if it looks like we are the instigator of it.

That and Iran could approach Russia in the aftermath than make the first step.

True, we should treat those as separate incidents to avoid coming out as instigators. Our attitude as @ruffino put it in his vote is us selling defensive weapons to a sovereign country which is buying it out of their own violation.

If NATO cannot sort out its own internal matters then that's their fault. Regarding middle east, it's complicated, but for now we should act cautiously.

If NATO cannot sort out its own internal matters then that's their fault. Regarding middle east, it's complicated, but for now we should act cautiously.
Fair enough, would be a shame to for this to backfire and make Russia suffer given we've been trying so hard to improve the nation.

2. President Fyodorov is about to travel to Tehran to meet with new reformist president of Iran? How should the negotiations between Russia and should be handled?
Might change my vote to just follow @ruffino's plan without any addition then.

Also as for the EU threatening ascension talks with Cyprus, we could always offer them a seat in the EEU.
I love the idea of a nation having to content with being a member of the EEU and NATO.

Also as for the EU threatening ascension talks with Cyprus, we could always offer them a seat in the EEU.
I love the idea of a nation having to content with being a member of the EEU and NATO.

Honestly if things escalate they might exit NATO. But we should definitely offer them place in EEU if that happens.

New Prime Minister
gettyimages-469301329-612x612.jpg

Congratulations to Boris Nemtsov - new Prime Minister of Russia, who won 12 to 11 votes against Anatoly Sobchak. The new government will be formed as coalition between United Labor Party of Russia and Union of Right Forces!

View attachment 877995

Congratulations to Boris Nemtsov - new Prime Minister of Russia, who won 12 to 11 votes against Anatoly Sobchak. The new government will be formed as coalition between United Labor Party of Russia and Union of Right Forces!
Imagine being President Yavlinsky, and having to watch on election night as your party gets mauled. People outside Russia are going to look at those numbers and think he was a bad president, when we know from OTL that his presidency has actually been amazing.

View attachment 877995

This looks like a close vote, it's good that two parties decided to compromise and to form a grand coalition. I suppose Nemtsov's anty corruption campaign won out in the end.

Imagine being President Yavlinsky, and having to watch on election night as your party gets mauled. People outside Russia are going to look at those numbers and think he was a bad president, when we know from OTL that his presidency has actually been amazing.
I don't think Yavlinsky was a president, Primeminister yes. But yes this defeat will come as a shock to him. Honestly in universe i see Right Wing forces being more moderate version of Yabloko that probably attracted most of their voters as well as some from Labour Party. But honestly this defeat might affect 2000s elections because it might convince Yavlinsky to not run for the presidency.

Last edited:
President Yavlinsky?????
When did that coup happen???
Cause It's time to call on the FSB and military to restore Our Rightful President Fyodorov! Or Avenge Him!!

This looks like a close vote, it's good that two parties decided to compromise and to form a grand coalition. I suppose Nemtsov's anty corruption campaign won out in the end.

I don't think Yavlinsky was a president, Primeminister yes. But yes this defeat will come as a shock to him. Honestly in universe i see Right Wing forces being more moderate version of Yabloko that probably attracted most of their voters as well as some from Labour Party. But honestly this defeat might affect 2000s elections because thus defeat might convince Yavlinsky to not run for the presidency.
President Yavlinsky?????
When did that coup happen???
Cause It's time to call on the FSB and military to restore Our Rightful President Fyodorov! Or Avenge Him!!
Both of your are correct, I made that mistake. Shows what I get for only sleeping for 3 hours, and then staying awake for 37 as of the time of this post. The basis of the joke is still there though, Yavlinsky was in government and his party was slaughtered.

Chapter Fourteen: A second new beginning (July - December 1997)
3218902_20190217230240_5c69e2ecb789684ea0fca342jpeg_ls.jpg

(Igor Ivanov's tenure would influence Russian foreign policy strategy for many years to come)

In a press conference held in Moscow, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Igor Ivanov, expressed Russian support for Cyprus acquisition of the S-300 missiles, citing that Cyprus was an independent country and no foreign power had the right to decide where Cyprus made its purchases of military equipment, no matter their justification. Furthermore, Ivanov appealed to the United Nations for mediation between Turkey, Greece and Cyprus. Nevertheless, Russian support for Cyprus was ignored by the Turkish government. In July 1997, the Turkish Navy and the Turkish Coast Guard began to board and search vessels heading to Cyprus, including Russian-flagged vessels, in international waters. The situation alarmed not only the Greek Cypriots but also Athens and Moscow, as was evidenced by official statements in October 1997 indicating that Greece and Russia would engage in war with Turkey if Cyprus was attacked or blocked.

By September, reports began to surface in Greek and Cypriot media forums that Russia was in the process of mobilizing a large naval force with an aircraft carrier with long-range warplanes, a guided-missile cruiser and attack submarines. The presumption was that the force would have two purposes: to transport S-300 missiles and other military articles via Greek waters to Cyprus and to attack the Turkish Navy if it tried to intervene. At the end, Cyprus agreed to transfer the purchased S-300 systems to Greece in exchange for a significant quantity of short-range TOR-M1 missile systems and an undisclosed type of medium-range air defense missile systems. Greece also supplied Cyprus with twelve self-propelled 155-mm artillery howitzers as partial rental payment for the use of the S-300s. The missile crisis between Greece, Cyprus and Turkey led to closer diplomatic and economic relations between Russia and Greece and Cyprus. In the meantime, during his visit to Tehran, President Fyodor was able to successfully negotiate a number of treaties between Russia and Iran, including an economic, cultural, and military equipment purchase deal.

02_nemtsov1995_g_w--(None).jpg

(Boris Nemtsov - new Russian Prime Minister and political superstar)

Legislative elections were held in Russia on 9 July 1997. To secure a place on the ballot, parties had to have registered with the Russian Ministry of Justice one year before the election (instead of six months in previous elections). As an alternative to gathering 200,000 signatures, they had the option of paying a deposit of just over two million roubles, returnable if the party won at least 3.0 percent of the list vote. In order to increase proportionality, the law provided that if parties reaching the five per cent threshold got in total 50 per cent or less of the vote, parties with at least 3.0 per cent of the vote would also win seats by declining numbers of votes up to the point at which the total share of vote exceeded 50 per cent.

However, if after this procedure the parties winning seats still had less than 50 per cent of the vote, the election was to be deemed invalid. In the single-member district ballots, if votes cast against all exceeded the votes of each candidate, a repeat election had to be held within four months. As a result, repeat elections had to be held in eight districts. Finally, as an alternative to gathering signatures in support of their nomination, single-member district candidates were also given the option of paying a deposit of 83,490 roubles, returnable if she won at least 5.0 percent of the district vote. The election was won by the largest opposition group, Union of Right Forces, which defeated the ruling United Labor Party of Russia. Throughout the campaign, polls showed conflicting results as to which of the two parties had the greater support, yet by the closing week the polls had swung in favour of Union of Right Forces, thanks to thanks to charismatic and energetic campaign led by Boris Nemtsov, who soundly defeated Prime Minister Anatoly Sobchak in two televised debates.

Nemtsov ran his campaign on slogans of economic liberalization, decommunization, anti-corruption, deoligarchization of Russia, cooperation with the West, and the closer relations between the government and the Orthodox Church. Nemtsov often accused Prime Minister Sobchak of corruption and having too close ties with oligarchs, which corresponded to the public mood. Furthermore, Nemtsov accused the leadership of the United Labor Party of losing its identity, as the United Labor Party started as an anti-establishment party in opposition to the Soviet nomenklatura and bureaucrats, but only a few years later the party swapped roles and became the new corrupt ruling class and establishment.

1997 Russian legislative election:
Turnout: 83,31%

Union of Right Forces: 28.89%

United Labor Party of Russia: 27,88%

Yabloko: 15,62%

Communist Party of RF: 14,64%

Agrarian Party of Russia: 6,65%

Liberal Democratic Party of Russia: 5.23%

Other Parties/Invalid Votes: 1,16%

1084764.jpg

(Boris Netmsov with Boris Yeltsin during 1996 presidential campaign)

Boris Yefimovich Nemtsov was born in Sochi in 1959 to Yefim Davidovich Nemtsov and Dina Yakovlevna Nemtsova (née Eidman).His mother, a physician, is Jewish. Nemtsov was raised in Gorky, now Nizhny Novgorod. His parents divorced when he was five years old. In his autobiography, Nemtsov recounts that his Russian Orthodox paternal grandmother had him baptized as an infant, and that he became a practicing Orthodox Christian. He found out about his baptism many years later. From 1976 to 1981, Nemtsov studied physics at State University of Gorky in the city of Gorky, receiving a degree in 1981. Aged 25 in 1985, he defended his dissertation for a PhD in Physics and Mathematics from the State University of Gorky. Until 1990, he worked as a research fellow at the Radiophysical Research Institute, and produced more than 60 academic publications related to quantum physics, thermodynamics and acoustics. He proposed a theoretical model for an acoustic laser and a novel design of antennas for space probes. In the wake of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986, Nemtsov organized a protest movement in his hometown which effectively prevented construction of a nuclear-fired boiler plant in the region. In 1989, Nemtsov unsuccessfully ran for the Soviet Congress of People's Deputies on a reform platform which for the time was quite radical, promoting ideas such as multiparty democracy and private enterprise. In Russia's first free elections of 1990, he ran for the Supreme Soviet of the Russian Republic representing Gorky, later renamed Nizhny Novgorod. Nemtsov was elected, the only non-communist candidate. He defeated twelve others. Once in Parliament he joined the "Reform Coalition" and "Centre-Left" political groups.

In the Russian parliament, Nemtsov was on the legislative committee, working on agricultural reform and the liberalization of foreign trade. In this position he met Svyatoslav Fyodorov, who was impressed with his work. During the October 1991 attempted coup by Soviet hardliners, Nemtsov vehemently supported the president and stood by him during the entire clash. After those events, Fydorov rewarded Nemtsov's loyalty with the position of presidential representative in his home region of Nizhny Novgorod. In November 1991, Fyodorov appointed him Governor of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. He was re-elected to that position by popular vote in December 1995. His tenure was marked by a wide-ranging, chaotic free market reform program nicknamed "Laboratory of Reform" for Nizhny Novgorod and resulted in significant economic growth for the region. Nemtsov's reforms won praise from former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who visited Nizhny Novgorod in 1993.

From the very outset of Nemtsov's tenure as governor, according to Serge Schmemann, Nemtsov "embarked on a whirlwind campaign to transform the region, drawing enthusiastic support from a host of Western agencies." Although the province was closed to foreigners for years and "there wasn't even enough paper money for the privatization program", he was optimistic about Moscow's future and consequently "pushed ahead on his own, even issuing his own money—chits, to be eventually exchanged for rubles that came to be known as 'Nemtsovki.'" Nemtsov very openly looked to the West as a model for Russia's future. Nemtsov, Schmemann observed, adopted the westernized title "Governor" rather than the Russian "Head of Administration". Leonid Bershidsky recalled meeting him in 1992 during his tenure as governor. "A brilliant young physicist", recounted Bershidsky, "he was trying to practice liberal economics in a gloomy Soviet-era industrial city that had long been off-limits to foreigners." Bershidsky described his eloquence and demeanor as that of "a Hollywood movie politician transplanted into the Russian hinterland

7f3dbeae26124d0099293427faa8cd73_900.jpeg

(Yegor Gaidar and Anatoly Chubais - creators of Yeltsin's and Nemtsov's economic strategy)

In 1996, Boris Nemtsov replaced a weakened and sickly Boris Yeltsin as leader of the opposition. In a short period of time, Nemtsov, together with Anatoly Chubais, Sergey Kiriyenko and Yegor Gaidar reformed and reorganized his electoral bloc into the liberal-conservative Union of Right Forces. Boris Nemtsov's electoral victory did not automatically mean that he would become the next prime minister. To create a new government, Nemtsov needed allies to gain a majority in the Russian parliament. Furthermore, President Fyodorov immediately after the elections told Nemtsov and Sobchak, that he would not accept any government, which would include Grigory Yavlinsky or Genaddy Zugyanov, due to his personal conflicts with both of them. Fearing that President Fyodorov might call another election, Nemtsov agreed to form a coalition with the United Labor Party of Russia, but on the condition that he would become the next prime minister. On the one hand, President Fyodorov agreed with Nemtsov's other conditions, namely, decommunization, closer cooperation with the Orthodox Church, reform of the judiciary system, and support for the establishment of a genuine civil society in Russia. On the other hand, Nemtsov agreed to the Eurasian direction of Russia's foreign policy, no mass privatization of state assets, and promised to leave Fyodorov's political and business allies (the Oligarchs) in peace for the time being.

gettyimages-635967107-612x612.jpg

(Alexander Lebed - new Minister of Defence and second most powerful man in the Union of Right Forces)

As a result of the elections, a number of changes took place in the Russian government, which included:

Boris Nemtsov – Prime Minister of Russia;
Anatoly Sobchak – First Deputy Prime Minister for Fuel-Energy complex;
Anatoly Chubais – Deputy Prime Minister for Finance, Economy and National Projects;
Yegor Gaidar – Deputy Prime Minister for Agro-Industrial Complex, Natural Resources and Ecology;
Sergey Kiriyenko – Deputy Prime Minister for Construction and Regional Development;
Dmitry Medvedev – Deputy Prime Minister and Chief of Staff of the Government;
Alexander Lebed – Minister of Defence;
Yevgeny Primakov – Minister of Foreign Affairs;
Vladimir Putin – Director of Federal Security Service.

CdVVaK4WEAAlPrL.jpg

(Poland together with Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia joined NATO in 1999)

In February 1991, Poland, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia formed the Visegrád Group to push for European integration under the European Union and NATO, as well as to conduct military reforms in line with NATO standards. Internal NATO reaction to these former Warsaw Pact countries was initially negative, but by the 1991 Rome summit in November, members agreed to a series of goals that could lead to accession, such as market and democratic liberalization, and that NATO should be a partner in these efforts. Debate within the American government as to whether enlargement of NATO was feasible or desirable began during the George H.W. Bush administration. By mid-1992, a consensus emerged within the administration that NATO enlargement was a wise realpolitik measure to strengthen Euro-American hegemony. In the absence of NATO enlargement, Bush administration officials worried that the European Union might fill the security vacuum in Central Europe, and thus challenge American post-Cold War influence. There was further debate during the Presidency of Bill Clinton between a rapid offer of full membership to several select countries versus a slower, more limited membership to a wide range of states over a longer time span. Victory by the Republican Party, who advocated for aggressive expansion, in the 1994 US congressional election helped sway US policy in favor of wider full-membership enlargement, which the US ultimately pursued in the following years. In 1996, Clinton called for former Warsaw Pact countries and post-Soviet republics to join NATO, and made NATO enlargement a part of his foreign policy.

That year, Russian leaders like Foreign Minister Andrei Kozyrev indicated their country's opposition to NATO enlargement. While Russian President Svyatoslav Fyodorov did sign an agreement with NATO in May 1997 that included text referring to new membership, he clearly described NATO expansion as "unacceptable" and a threat to Russian security in his December 1997 National Security Blueprint. Russian military actions, including the First Chechen War, were among the factors driving Central and Eastern European countries, particularly those with memories of similar Soviet offensives, to push for NATO application and ensure their long-term security. Political parties reluctant to move on NATO membership were voted out of office. Hungary's interest in joining was confirmed by a November 1997 referendum that returned 85.3% in favor of membership. During this period, wider forums for regional cooperation between NATO and its eastern neighbors were set up, including the North Atlantic Cooperation Council (later the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council) and the Partnership for Peace.

While the other Visegrád members were invited to join NATO at its 1997 Madrid summit, Romania and Slovenia were both considered for invitation in 1997, and each had the backing of a prominent NATO member, France and Italy respectively, but support for this enlargement was not unanimous between members, nor within individual governments, including in the US Congress. In an open letter to US President Bill Clinton, more than forty foreign policy experts including Bill Bradley, Sam Nunn, Gary Hart, Paul Nitze, and Robert McNamara expressed their concerns about NATO expansion as both expensive and unnecessary given the lack of an external threat from Russia at that time. Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, and the Czech Republic officially joined NATO in March 1999.

832725.jpg

The Kyoto Protocol was an international treaty which extended the 1992 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) that committed state parties to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, based on the scientific consensus that global warming is occurring and that human-made CO2 emissions weredriving it. The Kyoto Protocol was adopted in Kyoto, Japan, on 11 December 1997 and entered into force on 16 February 2005. The Kyoto Protocol implemented the objective of the UNFCCC to reduce the onset of global warming by reducing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere to "a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system" (Article 2). The Kyoto Protocol applied to the seven greenhouse gases listed in Annex A: carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), nitrogen trifluoride (NF3). Nitrogen trifluoride was added for the second compliance period during the Doha Round. The Protocol was based on the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities: it acknowledged that individual countries have different capabilities in combating climate change, owing to economic development, and therefore placed the obligation to reduce current emissions on developed countries on the basis that they are historically responsible for the current levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, established by the United Nations Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organization in 1988, the long-term effects of global warming would include a general rise in sea level around the world, resulting in the inundation of low-lying coastal areas and the possible disappearance of some island states; the melting of glaciers, sea ice, and Arctic permafrost; an increase in the number of extreme climate-related events, such as floods and droughts, and changes in their distribution; and an increased risk of extinction for 20 to 30 percent of all plant and animal species. The Kyoto Protocol committed most of the Annex I signatories to the UNFCCC (consisting of members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and several countries with “economies in transition”) to mandatory emission-reduction targets, which varied depending on the unique circumstances of each country. Other signatories to the UNFCCC and the protocol, consisting mostly of developing countries, were not required to restrict their emissions. The protocol entered into force in February 2005, 90 days after being ratified by at least 55 Annex I signatories that together accounted for at least 55 percent of total carbon dioxide emissions in 1990.

The protocol provided several means for countries to reach their targets. One approach was to make use of natural processes, called “sinks,” that remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. The planting of trees, which take up carbon dioxide from the air, would be an example. Another approach was the international program called the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), which encouraged developed countries to invest in technology and infrastructure in less-developed countries, where there were often significant opportunities to reduce emissions. Under the CDM, the investing country could claim the effective reduction in emissions as a credit toward meeting its obligations under the protocol. An example would be an investment in a clean-burning natural gas power plant to replace a proposed coal-fired plant. A third approach was emissions trading, which allowed participating countries to buy and sell emissions rights and thereby placed an economic value on greenhouse gas emissions. European countries initiated an emissions-trading market as a mechanism to work toward meeting their commitments under the Kyoto Protocol. Countries that failed to meet their emissions targets would be required to make up the difference between their targeted and actual emissions, plus a penalty amount of 30 percent, in the subsequent commitment period, beginning in 2012; they would also be prevented from engaging in emissions trading until they were judged to be in compliance with the protocol. The emission targets for commitment periods after 2012 were to be established in future protocols.

Last edited:
1. Should the new Russian government sign the Kyoto Protocols?
A) Yes, for the sake of our future and planet Earth;
B) No, the protocols will hamper our economic and industrial development.

2. The new Russian government promised a compensation to the Orthodox Church for all the Soviet crimes done to it between 1917 - 1991. How should President Fyodorov react to this promise?
A) Agree to pay promised compensation (4 billion U.S. Dollars)
B) Agree to pay promised compensation, but with different amount of money (please specify)
C)Agree to pay promised compensation only if other churches and religious organizations would receive such compensation as well.

3. Please write down, how should Russia react to expansion of NATO to the east?

4. Please write down, how should decommunization of Russia be handled?

5. Please write down, what the Russian government should do to develop Siberia?

6. Please write down, how should the Russian government react to mass Chinese immigration to Siberia and the Far East?

7. Please write down, which initiatives should the new Russian government pursue to support the establishment of genuine democratic and civil society in Russia?

8. Please write down how reform of the Judiciary system should be handled?

Last edited:
1) B, lmao no
2) A, if we're going to decommunize we should do so in a way that supports traditional Russian culture, which heavily consists of Orthodox elements
3) develop our own relations in Eastern Europe as we've been doing. Express concern over expansion of American vassalage over these states, but basically continue more or less as we have, building support among the Orthodox countries. Also maybe Slovakia or Hungary would be good to be friends with, maybe we can get them to stop Nato justification for things that require unanimity
4) there's no need to be too harsh on a time when Russia was at its strongest, a great empire that made even the mighty Americans tremble in fear. Acknowledge the crimes of the Bolshevik state, but this should not be allowed to detract from their achievements. The iconography of communism is an irrevocable part of Russian national symbolism, it should not be rejected just because we reject the substance of it
5) try and direct investment there by use of tax breaks, also construct modern infrastructure there
6) this should be watched very closely. Limit Chinese immigration so they don't overwhelm the Russian population, ban Chinese cultural organizations, and strongly facilitate the assimilation of the Chinese into Russian culture if possible
7) I leave this question to people who care about democracy more than I do
8) I leave this question to someone who knows more about law than me. However, we should avoid American-style judicial supremacy, where judges can arbitrarily misread law to block beneficial policies. (Many such cases in America)

1. Should the new Russian government sign the Kyoto Protocols?

My answer is almost obvious by this point... But ill just say it. Maybe later as we need to focus on our economic growth now.

B) No, the protocols will hamper our economic and industrial development.

2. The new Russian government promised a compensation to the Orthodox Church for all the Soviet crimes done to it between 1917 - 1991. How should President Fyodorov react to this promise?

A) Agree to pay promised compensation (4 billion U.S. Dollars)

I suppose this is one of conditions for formation of our new government and we don’t want trouble in paradise, so yea we can pay it and good relations with Ortodox Church will help us get into the contact with Russian diaspora.

3. Please write down, how should Russia react to expansion of NATO to the east?

Protest expansion on UN, Multilateral and European Forums, but privately negotiate with the West about new economic package for Russia with favorable credit rates as well as premision for Russia to purchase new technologies from the west, especially those needed for development of Russian Semiconductor industry. Try to negotiate some sort of guarantees/treaty about number of troops and types of weapons stationed in new countries that won't threaten Russia.

Also make it clear that this means that we are free to peacefully expand CSTO in Europe as well, ideally mutual acceptance should be endorsed.

If our demands are met then allow expansion of NATO, but still point out that we won't accept expansion in former Soviet space (that way we could potentially get some concessions for the Baltics and kick the can down the road, this is also Red line for us politically).

I believe this is the right answer to a question we cannot do much about, we raise a riot and try to get as much concessions so that we may shut up.

4. Please write down, how should decommunization of Russia be handled?

Acknowledge crimes of Communist part against Russian people, give a legal assessment of the coup d'état of 1917-1918 and the heinous crimes that followed, though don't rehabilitate Tsarist government under Nicholas (but condemn the death of Imperial family), nor excuse February Revolution that happened before it from its mistakes.

Denounce Bolshewism and Stalinism, revisit Stalins crimes as well as his role in poor performance of Red Army at the start of WW2.

Still while accepting the crimes of Communism we should still endorse Soviet Union and it's achievements in scientific, cultural and other spheres and acknowledge its significance in Russian history as a period of time where Russian State was at its global peak. Besides this we should still keep monuments from WW2 and Red army as well as more neutral patriotic monuments. Also acknowledge more tame politicians. Though leadership of USSR should be denounced for their crimes, or incompetenance.

5. Please write down, what the Russian government should do to develop Siberia?

- Establish Federal agency for Siberia like we did with Russian far east .
- Establish economic cooperation with China, Japan, USA,Europe,S. Korea etc to attract investors in Siberia.
- Search and develop natural resources in Siberia like rare minerals, gas fields
- Encourage tourism in Siberia
- Invest in necessary infrastructure like Rails, Airports, Roads , Oil and Gas Pipelines etc.
6. Please write down, how should the Russian government react to mass Chinese immigration to Siberia and the Far East?

Simply, there's no mass immigration, or better said its a myth as most of immigrants are contract workers , or tourists. Basically despite the perception that many remain illegally in Russia, since 1996, over 97% of Chinese arriving on tourist visas departed on time by the same border crossing through which they entered Russia, and many of the remaining 3% either departed by other border crossings, or were arrested and deported. Let's not fall prey to propaganda.

Also there are more Chinese in Moscow than Russian far East.

But generally keep border patrolls well financed and staffed, same with burocracy and deport anyone without a Visa. Visa requirements should be strict and controlled. Otherwise there's no need to raise a dust over this.

7. Please write down, which initiatives should the new Russian government pursue to support the establishment of genuine democratic and civil society in Russia?

I'll leave this to someone else. I'll just say that we should support our Union of Unions in its work. Democracy and representation in work place equals Democracy and representation in civil society.
8. Please write down how reform of the Judiciary system should be handled?

We already made quite good judicial system when we dwarfted our constitution, it's makes for good system that secures independent court and rule of law. Having government interfere into work of the court further should be avoided and quite frankly unconstitutonal.

- The judicial branch is headed by the Federal Constitutional Court, which oversees the constitutionality of laws.
- Heads of the Supreme Court/Federal Court are appointed by the President and need to be confirmed by the majority vote of 60% in the Parliament.
- Supreme Court, higher Regional Court and lower Regional courts cannot be dismissed from office by President, or Parliament without legal reason.
- Beneath Federal Court come 8 Higher Regional courts (appointed by President and confirmed by Parliament).
-Lower are local and Regional courts for every oblast/ republic appointed by Prime Minister and Minister from Ministry of Justice and ratified by local parliaments (though appointment can be pushed through in federal Parliament).
-Other judicial positions and appointments will be done by courts independently.

Last edited: