AHC: Islamic nation in ww1 as a major power.

The challenge of you choose to accept it, is with a POD in 1750 make a Islamic nation other than the Ottomans a major player in ww1. This can be of either side of the war and doesn't need to win.

Points if you can get the Durrani Empire to be the power.

Tbh, I just got bored so I decided to start a discussion.

This assumes that history in Europe goes like clockwork except with dealings to the particular Islamic power, such as Qajar do not lose the Russo-Persian wars or Durrani still hold Pakistan rather than the British Raj or the British Raj is butterflied. So please don't get on here and be like ww1 or any world war is butterflied immediately that is just a cop out to not talk about a possible Islamic nation in ww1 (with real leverage) other than the Ottomans.

If we want almost similar WW1 as OTL was best option might be Persia. I am not sure about surviving Durrani Empire but surviving Mughal Empire might butterflies too much.

Deleted member 67076

The Afsharid empire of Nader Shah survives and becomes a world power? Perhaps it escapes civil war and subsequent revolts, instead managing to stabilize and use that extra money to invest in Indian Ocean trade (IIRC Nadar Shah wanted to give Persia a massive navy) which starts up a feedback loop to industrialization over the century.

The Afsharid empire of Nader Shah survives and becomes a world power? Perhaps it escapes civil war and subsequent revolts, instead managing to stabilize and use that extra money to invest in Indian Ocean trade (IIRC Nadar Shah wanted to give Persia a massive navy) which starts up a feedback loop to industrialization over the century.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the Afsharids. Perhaps they could attempt to bridge gaps (at least a little) between the Sunni populace of Afghanistan and the Punjab with that of the Twelver Shia populace of Iran. I feel their success would be dependent on keeping control over the Punjab and limiting instability, but the size of such a nation(as long as it's not like otl Qing dynasty) would be a major force in the war.

Last edited:
Mysore defeats the British, conquers most of South India (at least) and manages to keep up with the West technologically and institutionally?

fasquardon

With PoDs that far back, any 'WWI' is going to be a very different beast. Probably not called that, nor at the same time, nor with the same line up of alliances.

The challenge of you choose to accept it, is with a POD in 1750 make a Islamic nation other than the Ottomans a major player in ww1. This can be of either side of the war and doesn't need to win.

Well, I do not know how much of a major power Hyderabad was during the 1740s or the 1750s, but one could imagine historians calling the First Carnatic War, the War of the Austrian Succession, and King Georges War the Indian, European, and American theatres of World War 1, since that war was essentially one giant war fought all over the world.

Well, I do not know how much of a major power Hyderabad was during the 1740s or the 1750s, but one could imagine historians calling the First Carnatic War, the War of the Austrian Succession, and King Georges War the Indian, European, and American theatres of World War 1, since that war was essentially one giant war fought all over the world.

Given 164 years, I could see them becoming a major power with a bit of luck...

Ever since I saw this thread, I've been trying to think if there is a way to get a Great Power Muslim Indonesia by *WW1 time. Or a great power Morocco... I've yet to think of any remotely realistic way either could happen.

fasquardon

There is no remotely realistic timeline that does this without a POD so far back that WWI is something unrecognizable.

I'm not necessarily meaning ww1 but it was an easy way to express what I wanted: to discuss a possible Islamic nation that would have the ability to participate heavily as a major player in a world war in the 1900s.

I thought I made this clear in the first post, either ways just saying "well it won't happen too far back" is just avoiding a discussion on a Muslim state that could possibly join such a war as a major player.