Unless the Norman victory at Hastings is militarily indecisive but still kills Harold Godwinson, I have my doubts that further resistance would be wholehearted.

the main question is what would happen at Edgars death? It could either go to the King of Scots, thus unifying Great Britain 600 years early or go to his possibly bastard son Edward.

the main question is what would happen at Edgars death? It could either go to the King of Scots, thus unifying Great Britain 600 years early or go to his possibly bastard son Edward.

An Edgar who's king would presumably have married and possibly left issue.

With her brother on the throne and a 1066 POD there's also no guarantee Margaret will end up in Scotland.

As to his reign, there's possibly further tensions with the remaining Godwins- Harold's older sons caused some mischief for William IOTL.

Edgar did have a son IRL called Edward, probs a bastard.

Margaret wouldn’t have ended up in Scotland without William.

So if we believe that Edgar would have remained unmarried, there would be no close powerful heirs to the throne, the closest relatives would be the descendants of Earl Ralph the Timid, the Sudeleys of Toddington but they were of relatively lower nobility (around local lord). It would probably go to a leading member of the nobility.

VVD0D95

Banned
Edgar did have a son IRL called Edward, probs a bastard.

Margaret wouldn’t have ended up in Scotland without William.

So if we believe that Edgar would have remained unmarried, there would be no close powerful heirs to the throne, the closest relatives would be the descendants of Earl Ralph the Timid, the Sudeleys of Toddington but they were of relatively lower nobility (around local lord). It would probably go to a leading member of the nobility.
Indeed though the chances of Edgar remaining unmarried are painfully low

Indeed though the chances of Edgar remaining unmarried are painfully low

Presumably a domestic match to shore up his regime? Most of the Anglo-Saxon kings married domestically.

It’s also probably worth noting that if Edgar has anything resembling his OTL lifespan he’ll reign for several decades.

If he’s dying at an advanced age with an adult legitimate son as a clear successor, then things are looking back on track for the House of Wessex.

VVD0D95

Banned
Presumably a domestic match to shore up his regime? Most of the Anglo-Saxon kings married domestically.

It’s also probably worth noting that if Edgar has anything resembling his OTL lifespan he’ll reign for several decades.

If he’s dying at an advanced age with an adult legitimate son as a clear successor, then things are looking back on track for the House of Wessex.
Agreed there, I could see some suggesting a marriage to a daughter of Harold Godwinson, simply to unite the two claims

Would Sweyn Estriddson poke his nose into England if things look unstable, as he did IOTL?

Maybe Gunhild?

Either daughter would probably be fine.

Agreed there, I could see some suggesting a marriage to a daughter of Harold Godwinson, simply to unite the two claims

Would such a marriage also result in Harold's sons making nice with Edgar and getting some of the family's earldoms?

Harold's youngest son (or sons- depending on what you believe about Ulf's parentage) is also a nephew of the powerful Earls Morcar and Eadwine of Northumbria and Mercia, which could be dangerous- some form of accommodation would probably be beneficial here.

This is all contingent on Edgar being pragmatic enough to not hold grudges over Harold's seizure of the throne and not have any suspicions that the Godwinsons had a hand in his father's death.

VVD0D95

Banned
Would Sweyn Estriddson poke his nose into England if things look unstable, as he did IOTL?

Either daughter would probably be fine.

Would such a marriage also result in Harold's sons making nice with Edgar and getting some of the family's earldoms?

Harold's youngest son (or sons- depending on what you believe about Ulf's parentage) is also a nephew of the powerful Earls Morcar and Eadwine of Northumbria and Mercia, which could be dangerous- some form of accommodation would probably be beneficial here.

This is all contingent on Edgar being pragmatic enough to not hold grudges over Harold's seizure of the throne and not have any suspicions that the Godwinsons had a hand in his father's death.

Agreed, I think that they'd probably try and make nice, if they have a trace of their father and grandfather's common sense they will try to make nice. And yeah, I think Edgar would need to have some sort of pragmatism, which he might not if this happens when he's still a young man. Though, then again, being chosen as King following Godwinson's death might make him realise how unsteady a footing he's on.

And with Sweyn I think an invasion is possible if the Godwinsons are more powerful. I think a Danish invasion would most likely happen after Edgar IIIs death in 1167

No I mean Edgars son, Edgar III he’s unmarried, so once he dies, the nation would be unstable and a perfect time for the Danes to invade.

we no hardly anything about him so I think he should be a childless King.