The Habsburgs lost a lot of land in Central Europe to newly independent states. After that, they formed a political union with Bavaria, forming the Kingdom of Austro-Bavaria (not sure how plausible that is, but hey, let's just go with it).
Which I'm sure has left very few people satisfied in the new union. I'm also guessing there's a strong grudge held against the enemies from the global war.

Which I'm sure has left very few people satisfied in the new union. I'm also guessing there's a strong grudge held against the enemies from the global war.
I figured that the motivation behind the union would be to serve as a counterbalance to Prussia in the North. It may have already been a goal to create a South German union of some sort before the war.
When it comes to the grudge, I think there's a possibility that the relations between Austro-Bavaria and France would improve (and the relations between France and Prussia would sour for that matter). France didn't take any land from Austria or Bavaria, they have a clearly defined border (The Rhine) and they're both predominantly Catholic (especially since the radical Secularism of the French Revolution is butterflied ITTL).

So, here were the sides in the First Global War:

The Coalition: Russia, Prussia, France, Spain, Naples, Greece and Sardinia-Piedmont (they won the war)

The Alliance: Poland-Lithuania, Austria, Ottoman Empire, Britain, Portugal and South Germany (they lost the war)

How do you think this could change in the second war? For example, Italy was part of the Entente in OTL's WW1, but became an Axis power in WW2. The winner's coalition often times breaks down after the war ends (the Allies in WW2), so I could see France and Russia (the two major continental powers) quickly enter a Cold War of sorts, with a possibility of boiling over at some point. Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Europe in 1900
ECFC Europe 1900.png

Potential flashpoints for the Second Global War (1910s and/or 1920s):
  • Franco-Prussian conflict over the Rhineland
  • Illyria wanting Venetian territory in Dalmatia
  • Bulgaria wanting a coastline (likely from the Ottomans)
  • Schleswig-Holstein
  • Polish revanchism
  • Really, any number of territorial disputes in Eastern Europe.

Part 69: Calm Before The Storm
Part 69: Calm Before The Storm

The time after the First Global War of the 1860s and 1870s was a time of an stable, yet uneasy peace. The new states that were carved out of Central Europe had a hard time adjusting to independence. For example, the Bulgarians were displeased with being part of Illyria, and thus seceded in the 1880s. It was also becoming clear that the relations between France and Prussia were not going to remain cordial for long, as both sides wanted control over the Rhineland. There were also a number of ethnic conflicts, such as Germans in Schleswig-Holstein wanting to leave Denmark, the numerous Polish territories that were lost to Prussia and Russia and the independent Bulgaria wanting to acquire a coastline on the Black Sea from The Ottomans.

One of the biggest conflicts, however, was over the region of Dalmatia. Long under Venetian control, Illyria claimed it as an integral part of their nation (although much of the population was ethnically Venetian). That was not the only claim on Venetian territory that a foreign power had, as the Kingdom of Cisalpina claimed Venetian lands west of the Mincio River and Lake Garda. With all these different claims and Casus Bellis (you’d need one to avoid 30 aggressive expansion and -2 stability), Europe had become a powder keg waiting to explode, and said explosion will be the subject of the next update.

Here's the idea I have for the war
Second Global War
Flashpoint: Illyrian-Venetian conflict over Dalmatia
Timeframe: 1910s
Entente: Illyria, Cisalpina (Northern Italy), Naples, France, Spain
Central Powers: Venice, Austria-Bavaria, Prussia
Britain, Russia and The Ottomans are still undecided, who do you think they'd side with?

Here's the idea I have for the war
Second Global War
Flashpoint: Illyrian-Venetian conflict over Dalmatia
Timeframe: 1910s
Entente: Illyria, Cisalpina (Northern Italy), Naples, France, Spain
Central Powers: Venice, Austria-Bavaria, Prussia
Britain, Russia and The Ottomans are still undecided, who do you think they'd side with?
The Russians will probably back the Bulgarians against the Ottomans, first with Diplomatic support/proxy power. Britain, still into the whole Balance of Power thing will no doubt support the Ottomans against Russia's ally in the Balkans. I don't think Russia or Britain will outright interfere, perfecting their allies to do the fighting for them.

The Russians will probably back the Bulgarians against the Ottomans, first with Diplomatic support/proxy power. Britain, still into the whole Balance of Power thing will no doubt support the Ottomans against Russia's ally in the Balkans. I don't think Russia or Britain will outright interfere, perfecting their allies to do the fighting for them.
The war's not in Bulgaria.

The war's not in Bulgaria.
I meant that what ever side Bulgaria goes with, Britain/Russia/Ottomans would probably follow that way.
Russians support Bulgarians
Bulgarians don't like the Ottomans
Britain supports the Ottomans against Bulgaria which is supported by Russia so = Britain V. Russia.
Other than that? I have no hints/suggestions for alliances/Global War

I meant that what ever side Bulgaria goes with, Britain/Russia/Ottomans would probably follow that way.
Russians support Bulgarians
Bulgarians don't like the Ottomans
Britain supports the Ottomans against Bulgaria which is supported by Russia so = Britain V. Russia.
Other than that? I have no hints/suggestions for alliances/Global War
Well, Bulgaria and Illyria likely have some bad blood, but I also think that Russia would be likely to support (mainly) Orthodox and Slavic Illyria over Catholic and Latin Venice (then again, the other Latin Catholic countries are also at war with Venice).

Second Global War Europe.png

Here's the idea for the Second Global War that I came up with. Albania, seeing themselves as next in line for Illyrian and Greek aggression joins the Central Powers (yeah, I'm using OTL's WW1 names), while Greece promptly joins the Entente. The Ottomans, viewing this as a chance for revenge on Greece joins the CP, while Hungary and Romania go to war over Transylvania. The Russian Bear awakens and joins the war on the side of the Entente. Britain, not wanting Franco-Russian dominance of Europe joins the Central Powers. Portugal, knowing that they couldn't beat Spain in a protracted war stays neutral, as do the Netherlands and Switzerland (because it's Switzerland). Poland hates both the Germans and Russians, so they stay neutral, as does Carpathia. I didn't know what to do with Denmark or Bulgaria, however, and I don't know if the war will spread to the Americas.

I'm thinking that Bulgaria would side with the Entente. I think the Bulgarians would want a coastline more than they'd want to fight Illyria.
Also, what do you think about Denmark joining the Entente and Sweden joining the Central Powers? Denmark would not like North Germany and Sweden wouldn't like Russia, and they have fought many wars in the past, so it'd make sense for them to fight here. Norway stays neutral, though.

I'm thinking that Bulgaria would side with the Entente. I think the Bulgarians would want a coastline more than they'd want to fight Illyria.
Also, what do you think about Denmark joining the Entente and Sweden joining the Central Powers? Denmark would not like North Germany and Sweden wouldn't like Russia, and they have fought many wars in the past, so it'd make sense for them to fight here. Norway stays neutral, though.
I agree with that assessment on Bulgaria.
Hm.. Denmark either needs to feel backed more into a corner than OTL or it needs to feel really confident against Germany and have lots of faith in its allies.

Sweden? Hm.. I'd say Russia really needs to be threatening Sweden for them to participate in the Second Global War. Even if Denmark and Sweden fight, Sweden would probably still be more focused on Russia as a threat.