Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

I was born in March 1998, 3 1/2 years before 9/11 happened.
A lot of people in this thread (and forum) were born in 1998 (me included), which makes the very plausible POD of this timeline occurring in August 1998 even more iconic to us, 1998 really feels like the year that all of history could have changed had OBL been killed in Afghanistan.

A lot of people in this thread (and forum) were born in 1998 (me included), which makes the very plausible POD of this timeline occurring in August 1998 even more iconic to us, 1998 really feels like the year that all of history could have changed had OBL been killed in Afghanistan.
Also my dad would've been deployed to Darfur instead of Iraq in this timeline.

Last edited:
I think, my life has not that massively changed with the POD that massively.
Probably only direct changes between 1998 and 2007 I think that might happen largely involve the fact that PKK died out much more quickly than our timeline (my father retired two years ago from the gendarmerie, and I know that at least some of his friends died in the fighting, so at least some of them won't die, hopefully) and perhaps that my grandfather and uncle (from father's side) might not support AKP, as they tend to not care about politics, and just support whichever side is in power if AKP lost their place in power.
Though these are guesses from what I saw from this timeline for now. It might take a different path too

I think, my life has not that massively changed with the POD that massively.
It really depends the country that we are living in, a no-9/11 world will look drastically different to a child born in 1998 in Iraq and Afghanistan, than to a child born in 1998 in a far-away country like Brazil and Japan.

I recall watching C-SPAN before I had any idea what the purpose of that channel was, annoyed because it was a piece of crap CRT television that had broken buttons and no remote and was permanently stuck on that channel, I knew nothing about terrorism or what it was I was watching on repeat over and over and over, and I don't know who the talking heads that were dispayed or in a splitscreen four-way shouting fest but I am now cognizant that Donald Rumsfeld was one of them. Then the next day at school my teacher looked at me like a fucking imbecile because when they somberly told us that "what we might have seen on the T.V." wasn't anything to worry about I stated that the movie was stupid and repetitive anyways.

That's my memory of 9/11/2001 >_>'

Do we really need to see every single alternate variation of a news/magazine article from OTL in the Geronimo Timeline?

This is getting kind of repetitive -- let's just let Iwanh write the timeline he wants, y'know? This is his thread after all.
No, not really need

My bad, I'm just love this timeline too much, and too excited

I'm so sorry

Last edited:
Do we really need to see every single alternate variation of a news/magazine article from OTL in the Geronimo Timeline?

This is getting kind of repetitive -- let's just let Iwanh write the timeline he wants, y'know? This is his thread after all.
I agree, lets not try to overwhelm the guy.

I noticed this topic was never brought up last 9/11. I guess I'll do it. For those born before 9/11, where were you on that day? Me, I was a 3 year old in Honolulu when it all happened, it was night time and my mom got a call from a friend telling her what was going on. Afterwards all travel to and from Hawaii was halted, we couldn't even get food from the mainland for a bit. My first exposure to the attacks was two years later when I stumbled upon the Times Magazine issue talking about it. When I first skimmed through it, I assumed a city got destroyed or something. Like out of a monster movie.
time20010914-1.jpg

Fun fact: I had no idea the Twin Towers were destroyed. I assumed they got hit and were repaired after the attacks. I wasn't until I went on Google Earth and found where the towers were originally, and I was like "Wait, they don't exist anymore?"
Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines. Cebu at that time was not yet the growing megapolis of 2021-2024 but a rather quiet but slowly growing city as a result of investments and developments that came at the end of the Cold War. It was evening at that time and most people were asleep. I was probably watching Legends of the Hidden Temple on Nickelodeon's Games n Sports evening segment rerun.

TTL wouldn't have Jimmy Kimmel show

Due to the Political incorrect never got canceled in 2002

What would TTL Kimmel do?

Actor?

Is it possible iphone got an alternate name ? (I don't think so, because ipod iMac already existed, these two start developing before pod or 9/11

But I still think there's an 1% possibility

Taylor Swift I guess became an actress, maybe some comedy show, I don't know

And, from pop culture 2005 chapter :
Perhaps best shown by the band the ‘Black-Eyed Peas’ who after an attempt to cover a more commercial sound with their third album 'Elephunk' which resulted in the band being dropped by their label after it proved a commercial and critical failure.
Wait, is "My Hump" (2005) still existed

Is this this means no "Pump it" (2006), Boom Boom Pow (2009) and I Gotta Feeling (2009) ???

And I wanna ask all of you

Do you think Ratatouille would be still able to came out in TTL 2007?

Last edited:
I don't recall this coming up, but apparently what became Mad Max Fury Road had initially started development before 9/11 and stalled in part due to the devaluation of the USD thereafter relative to the Australian Dollar.

was born in March 1998, 3 1/2 years before 9/11 happened. I assume me and my little sister Kiana (who was only a year and a half at the time) were with my maternal grandparents since both of my parents were working that day though I have no memories from that awful day. My parents and grandparents have more memories from that day than I do.
Almost to the letter my day on 9/11.

I was unaware of what was happening, but I’m certain I knew that my grandma’s regular television viewing was interrupted.

The evening my mom went jogging and she took me along.

Get Born Again New
Get Born Again.png

Get Born Again is the fourth studio album by American rock band Alice in Chains. It was released on June 25, 2002, by Columbia Records. The album debuted at Number 4 on the Billboard 200, and was certified gold by the RIAA on April 13, 2003, with shipments exceeding 480,000 copies in the U.S. and nearly 2 million copies sold worldwide. "Get Born Again" and "Anger Rising" were both nominated for the Grammy Award for the Best Hard Rock Performance in 2002 and 2003, respectively. In April 2019, it was ranked No. 21 on Rolling Stone's "50 Greatest Grunge Albums" list. This is also the band's final studio album to be released through Columbia.

The span of seven years between the self-titled album and Get Born Again, marks the longest gap between studio albums in the band's career at the time. This is due to lead singer Layne Staley's substance abuse issues during that time period. This would change in November 1999 when Staley was rushed to the emergency room following a Heroin overdose. After this experience, he decided to quit heroin and attended drug rehabilitation which he completed by early 2000, which is where he reunited with the band. During this time, bandmate Jerry Cantrell was already working on a solo album that would become Get Born Again, it was after Staley's reunification with the band that it was decided to turn the solo album into the next studio album.​

Last edited:
The Coalition Intervention in Darfur ~ Wiki Box
View attachment 906902
Great infobox! The fact that it says that the genocide ended gives me hope for the future of Darfur and Sudan as a whole. The mentioning of a demilitarized zone suggests to me that under the terms of whatever agreement was signed, the SLA has basically been given control of Darfur and the SPLA South Sudan. Is it possible that with a truly autonomous South Sudan under the SPLA, the region doesn't become independent like OTL?

On the other hand, this wouldn't exactly be a recipe for stability, especially once coalition forces complete their withdrawl