Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goku is older than that, he have a console game since 1986
Well, yeah, I know that, but when Fighter Z came out for the Switch a lot of people suddenly thought that it was confirmation that he'd be in Smash. I don't know why, but that was the most recent example.

Well, yeah, I know that, but when Fighter Z came out for the Switch a lot of people suddenly thought that it was confirmation that he'd be in Smash. I don't know why, but that was the most recent example.
Western fandom is idiotic at times, plus Sakurai is wishy washy about his rules too.

Western fandom is idiotic at times, plus Sakurai is wishy washy about his rules too.
I mean, yeah. But that's like the rule, and the only way to change that would be to fundamentally alter Sakurai, which I don't think has happened.

Um, what? As cool as Star Wars in Smash Bros. is, Sakurai has repeated many times that Smash is a tribute to video games. It's why Goku (who now has his own fighting game, Dragon Ball Fighter Z) and Shrek will never appear in the game, no matter how much fans clamor for them or how many video games they appear in. If their origins are in media other than games, Sakurai doesn't want them in. And that's a decision he's unlikely to ever reverse on, unlike Ridley being "too big" for the game or Villager not fitting a fighting game's inherently violent nature. Honestly... that might be the most unrealistic thing I've seen in the whole timeline.

ITTL, Ahsoka originated in a video game. We never got the second Clone Wars series, which instead was made into a series of games, starting with 2008's The Clone Wars which introduced Ahsoka properly. The game was a MASSIVE hit, resulting in Ahsoka becoming the final character added to Unleashed.

ITTL, Ahsoka originated in a video game. We never got the second Clone Wars series, which instead was made into a series of games, starting with 2008's The Clone Wars which introduced Ahsoka properly. The game was a MASSIVE hit, resulting in Ahsoka becoming the final character added to Unleashed.
But it's still Star Wars. It's a movie franchise first and foremost, and The Clone Wars has major ties to the prequel films. I don't know, I don't make the decisions for this timeline. If you guys think it would work, then it's fine in my book.

Honestly, at this point I'd say TTL never getting a Smash game with Ultimate's "Every fighter returns" gimmick would be a fair tradeoff if we're getting unexpected character reveals with this kind of scale.

Though on a more serious note, I'd guess Star Wars content in TTL's Smash could just be handwaved as butterflies causing Sakurai to not be as strict with the "must originate from a video game" rule. I mean, we already have Kingdom Hearts stuff in here, and Donald Duck and Goofy are explicitly part of Sora's Final Smash.

IMHO, this TL has done a great deal to incorporate video games into pop culture "artistic validation" earlier. Joining the "arts" of film, television, animation, graphic novels, popular music, etc. Creating a parity of these various arts in the eyes of a video game designer like Sakurai. Whose inclusion of Ahsoka creates a celebration of this parity of pop culture arts and future multimedia cross pollination.

Ahsoka in Smash is wild but I'm down for it. Nintendo have taken more risks with this seires IITL. With third parites coming earlier and the one rep per third party series being broken eariler. So I'm not shocked a kind of fourth party got in.

Also Sony have a big hand in Smash it seems, and Ahsoka is the kind of pick they'd make.

Last edited:
Also thinking about it. It is similar to the introduction of Harley Quinn into Batman comics. A character created for a new medium of a multimedia franchise accepted into the original media and now established in other media of that franchise i.e. Batman video games and films. Ahsoka here is being accepted by Sakurai as a video game character first and foremost; despite the fact that the franchise is recognized mostly for film. As Star Wars and Lucas Arts were fundamental ITTL of establishing video games as a separate yet integral part of a multimedia franchise. This process culminated with TTL's Star Wars: Clone Wars video game. A tie in video game that was integral to the story of Star Wars as a whole. IMO Sakurai doesn't see Ahsoka as a Star Wars character but a popular video game character by popular video game developer, who just so happens to be a part of the Star Wars multimedia franchise.

Deleted member 100251

Sakurai... once again king of the left field. Ahsoka in Smash? That’s awesome! Rip Lucas though. Also nice to see the addition of more Sony characters. ITTL SSBU seems like it’s awesome despite no DLC.
Also I guess I didn’t read the update where you turned the second Clone Wars show into a game, and I’m glad to see how it turned out! I loved the OTL show and Gennedy’s so it’s nice we still get both albeit Filoni’s being in a different form. Love that you kept the VAs too. I didn’t see it when I was reading up on it but does Captain Rex still exist as a side character or has he been butterflied? I may also be remembering their introductions wrong but are the bounty hunters aforementioned Cad Bane, Embo, and Aurra Sing? Sorry if this is too much but do we also see Hondo appear?
All in all, great update(s)!

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Solid lineup for Smash. I'd buy it and I'd buy my friends copies and I'd even get my cat a copy if I had the money. But it's 2010 and the economy could be better, and I don't have a dimension-hopper machine or the money to spend on it, regrettably.

Honestly, at this point I'd say TTL never getting a Smash game with Ultimate's "Every fighter returns" gimmick would be a fair tradeoff if we're getting unexpected character reveals with this kind of scale.

I would too, actually. As I said earlier this is a solid lineup of characters, but the only real caveat is, of course,

Rip Lucas

Yeah.

OTOH, IIRC Mother Earthbound 3 got a U.S. release since the previous game sold considerably better than OTL thanks to the lack of the awful "This game stinks!" marketing campaign. That being said, while selling more, Earthbound 2 doesn't hold the status of "cult classic" that it does IOTL. But I digress.

(Information source on final paragraph here.)

I would too, actually. As I said earlier this is a solid lineup of characters, but the only real caveat is, of course,

Rip Lucas

Yeah.
The bright side to Lucas getting ejected is that that's one less character that can spam "PK Fire!" over and over again. Still a big loss, but there's always a silver lining.

As funny as that sounds, that is not the case. Speaking of Mother/Earthbound, is there any reason why a Mother 4 shouldn't exist? Any reason why it should?
OTL itoi just wanted a trilogy, when 3 is less traumatic here, i think after 3 he just want to be back to his blog and random tarento ideas and copywriting, he still might exhausted as developer and wants to be a gamer again( there a Lot of Pokémon and DQ to play for him)

As funny as that sounds, that is not the case. Speaking of Mother/Earthbound, is there any reason why a Mother 4 shouldn't exist? Any reason why it should?

Well, IOTL I'm sure Itoi just decided he was done making them. ITTL-

nvntVIl.jpg

oh my god how did that just happen i'm leaking like a sieve over here oops

Fall 2010 (Part 10) - Starry Nights
Star Siren: You And Me

Star Siren: You And Me is a sidescrolling beat 'em up title similar to games like OTL's Viewtiful Joe (made by most of the same people). It's the first Apple-exclusive game in the series and the fourth mainline game, after the original, Nakama, and The Fateful Yandere. The series is inspired by shoujo anime and manga such as Sailor Moon, with Star Siren, AKA Saiyuki, being a transforming magical girl superheroine that fights alongside her friends and uses powerful attacks on her foes. In this game, Star Siren's four friends, the Star Souls, have been captured by an evil entity, along with her love interest Anthony and her frienemy Minamora, while Saiyuki has been transported to a strange and magical storybook world where the only person that can help her is you, the player. You And Me is by far the most "meta" game in the series, and possibly the most "meta" game ever created, shattering the fourth wall by having the player directly intervene in Saiyuki's journey, aiding her on her quest to rescue her friends and escape the magical dreamworld. Though the storybook/fourth wall mechanic does make You And Me radically different from any other game in the series, the core gameplay of beating up enemies, utilizing magical attacks, and earning high scores still remains, along with most of Star Siren's magical powers and attacks. However, the player now gets the chance to aid Star Siren utilizing either the game's motion controls or a traditional controller, by choosing powers for her, calling in allies, clearing obstacles, or aiding in the fighting of enemies. All the while, Saiyuki herself acknowledges the player and responds to their actions, complimenting them for a job well done, or scolding them when they do poorly. Though Saiyuki will ask for help and sometimes plead for it, she's proud and proactive and won't become subservient to the player, even if they try to impede or troll her through their actions. She'll remind the player that they're playing right along with her, and if she doesn't succeed, neither do they. The game thus combines elements of beat 'em up titles with a sort of "interactive friend" type of game, with Saiyuki complimenting and conversing with the player as she works to rescue her friends and battle enemies. Most of the time, Saiyuki will be a friend to the player, encouraging them whether or not they're performing well. If the player is losing but the game can tell that they're honestly trying, Saiyuki will be encouraging even in defeat, and sometimes, she'll activate a special power to push the player through a difficult boss fight (almost like the Mickey save feature in OTL Kingdom Hearts II). The level of difficulty in this game is slightly lower than in previous series titles, pushing a more thematic theme than a difficulty/gameplay theme. The graphical art style is a new cel-shaded anime/storybook hybrid style that takes full advantage of the iTwin's capabilities and looks even better than the Sapphire's Fateful Yandere, despite being on a less powerful console. Most of the main voice cast returns, with Cristina Pucelli once again returning as the voice of Star Siren/Saiyuki, who has more lines in this game than ever before. Cindy Robinson voices the game's main villainess, the Weaver of Sorrows, the one who has captured Saiyuki and her friends and has trapped them in the book. The game has seven chapters. Chapters 1 through 5 are each dedicated to rescuing one of Saiyuki's friends, the four Star Souls and Anthony. Each time Saiyuki rescues one, however, they are transformed into a more powerful being and are thralled into the Weaver's service, forced to battle Saiyuki at a later time. Chapter 6 is a more complex chapter that brings in Minamora, who still has hard feelings toward Saiyuki after the events of The Fateful Yandere. Saiyuki asks the player whether or not to trust Minamora, who she suspects is being thralled into a villain just like her other friends. Through a series of events, Saiyuki and Minamora's friendship is tested, and ultimately, the player will decide whether or not Saiyuki should trust her. If the player chooses to do so, Minamora becomes an ally to Saiyuki, making the events of the final chapter somewhat easier. If the player chooses not to trust her, Minamora willingly turns on Saiyuki, becoming an ally to the Weaver of Sorrows. Chapter 7 begins with Saiyuki battling her transformed friends to free their minds from the Weaver's thrall, and eventually battling the Weaver herself, or Minamora if Saiyuki chose not to trust her. If Minamora is battled and defeated, she and Saiyuki reconcile somewhat, but Minamora's feelings are still hurt, leading to a less satisfying ending. In the end, Saiyuki defeats the Weaver of Sorrows and escapes the storybook along with her friends. The game ends with a speech read by Saiyuki to the player, with its contents depending on how the player did throughout the game. There are thousands of different speeches possible (via the alteration of various sentences or small details), but the best case scenario is a happy Saiyuki reading a heartfelt thank you, ranging all the way to the worst case scenario of a sad/angry Saiyuki telling the player they could have done better.

Star Siren: You And Me is released in October 2010 to excellent reviews, much better than the reviews for The Fateful Yandere and comparable to the reviews for the first two titles. The game's interactive storybook format is considered one of the most innovative in the history of the genre, and the player's interactions with Saiyuki over the course of the game are praised by most reviews for their heartwarming nature. Some criticism over the decreased difficulty and the lack of playable Star Souls does surface, but these concerns are mostly brushed aside, and the game is considered one of the iTwin's best exclusives of the year. Sales are also excellent in both Japan and North America, making the series one of Capcom's most lucrative current properties and a major exclusive property for Apple (after starting its life as a Nintendo exclusive). More Star Siren games are immediately put into production, and the game's success also kicks off a wave of merchandise sales as well.

-

NiGHTS And The Seeker Of Lost Visions

The fourth game in the NiGHTS series and the first for the Apple iTwin, NiGHTS And The Seeker Of Lost Visions focuses on the titular character as he explores the dream realm in pursuit of a powerful woman named Violet who has the same powers as him, only instead of using those powers to grant wishes and pleasant dreams to children, she uses them to search for her lost childhood friend Marcel, causing havoc and nightmares in her wake. Like previous games in the series, NiGHTS has the power to fly through the air, building up his Dream Meter to unleash powerful combination attacks on foes and soar to even greater heights. However, NiGHTS can now use his power to alter the dreamscape around him, creating things out of thin air or destroying certain stage hazards. Combat is now a bit of a juggle between using NiGHTS' powers for creation or for destruction, taking a more defensive (or even fully pacifistic) approach to combat or going all out aggressive. As for Violet, she simply wishes to be left alone. She's far more powerful than NiGHTS, but won't fight him unprovoked. However, her powers leave nightmare beasts everywhere she goes, and they can be followed to track Violet through the various worlds she invades. The game's combat and exploration, apart from the dream alteration mechanic, are much simpler than in previous games, with only one meter to worry about and more freedom of exploration. The player's only task in the ten worlds that NiGHTS visits is to find Violet. This can be done very quickly or quite slowly, and only needs to be done once, with the challenge along the way coming from the various obstacles that the player must find a way to traverse and the clues and puzzles they have to solve. Once the player reaches Violet, there's always some kind of confrontation and some kind of challenge, either a battle, a chase, or sometimes a combination of both, while sometimes it can depend on where exactly Violet is found. With each passing world NiGHTS visits, more and more of the dream world is being torn up by Violet's activities, leading to some truly surreal visuals and powerful enemies in later levels, which the game's outstanding, high definition 3-D graphics do an excellent job of depicting. As the player travels through the game, they learn more and more about Violet and Marcel's relationship and how the two of them became separated. Eventually, NiGHTS learns that the boy was trapped in the nightmare realm and succumbed to its terrors, while Violet refuses to accept that he is gone. Finally, in the ninth of ten worlds, the nightmares all vanish and NiGHTS enters a paradise in which Violet and Marcel lived their lives and have grown up and had a family. Violet doesn't want to leave this dream world, but its energy is absorbing all the dreams from all other worlds, turning them into nightmares. Once NiGHTS forcibly severs Violet's connection to this world, she goes insane and uses her powers to create a paradise where everyone is eternally dreaming, but in which their minds refuse to accept this, causing nightmares to appear (sort of like the failed original "paradise" Matrix of the Matrix series). NiGHTS battles his way through this disturbing paradise realm to find Violet ruling it as a queen. She tells NiGHTS that he can use his powers to make everyone accept this dream and have paradise forever, but NiGHTS tries to tell Violet that even the sweetest dreams can't last forever. Violet begs NiGHTS to help her, and when he refuses, she attacks him and a boss battle begins. The battle between NiGHTS and Violet is a callback to the last three games of the series, with visual and gameplay elements from all three of them. NiGHTS is able to turn the nightmare creatures against Violet in order to defeat her, and Violet uses her powers to trap herself in an eternal dream. NiGHTS could wake her, but decides against it, having freed everyone else from Violet's dream realm, he leaves her dreaming eternally, living the life she and Marcel dreamed of as children.

NiGHTS And The Seeker Of Lost Visions is quite positively reviewed, coming exclusively to the iTwin in December 2010. More well received than Dream's End, but only slightly, it's praised for its outstanding graphics and poignant story, though the gameplay is criticized as being a bit too repetitive, and the worlds for not being as creative as those in previous games. The world creation mechanic is also positively received, but the traditional controls are considered quite clunky compared to the motion controls which allow the player to control NiGHTS and manipulate the world at the same time more easily. Ultimately, The Seeker Of Lost Visions is seen as a success for the iTwin, but not quite as big a blockbuster as Star Siren: You And Me, and it's clear that the franchise's status as a triple-A one has passed, though the series would still continue on both consoles and handhelds, perhaps returning more to the series' roots rather than attempting to make the world and the gameplay more complex.

What happened to Mary Mapes ITTL? Since the Memogate story never aired ITTL, I'm sure she's still a producer for CBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.