More alpine Slav nations: Independent former Inner Austrian territories(Styria, Carinthia)

Inner Austria consisted of the Imperial duchies of Styria, Carinthia and Carniola and the lands of the Austrian Littoral, from the 14th to the early 17th century.

By the 11th century, the Germanization of what is now Lower Austria, effectively isolated the Slovene-inhabited territory from the other western Slavs, speeding up the development of the Slavs of Carantania and of Carniola into an independent Carantanian/Carniolans/Slovene ethnic group. Long story short Napoleon, National Awakening, Carinthian plebiscite(the Slovene areas voted to remain part of Austria with a 59% majority), then Yugoslavia etc etc.

OTL what became Slovenia consisted of lower Styria, the former Duchy of Carniola and parts of the Austrian Litoral(aka the "Slovene speaking parts"). But the ideia here is to developed a more nuanced cultural identification of these former duchies(specially Carinthia), in order to at least have one more small Slav Speaking alpine nation. One may argue that a pos-dissolution of Yugoslavia could help, but I think that even in this scenario, you should start to have some changes on the cultural identification, linguistics and demographic patterns of the region before.
I would like to know how feasible this would be...or if these hypothetical Carinthians would just become Slovenes(Bigger slovenia) or remain "Austrian"

I guess Styria and Carinthia would become part of an extended version of Slovenia.
Why would Slovenians want to be a minority in Greater Slovenia? This is obviously hand-wavey vague given the circumstances and shifting borders of the time, but according to wikipedia the area of present day Slovenia had a population of 980k post-WWI, versus around 1.3 million for majority German speaking Styria & Carinthia.

Was there even a significant Slovene speaking population in Styria? Everything I've ever read about the Slovenian minority in Austria post WW1 has only mentioned Carinthia

Last edited:
Why would Slovenians want to be a minority in Greater Slovenia? This is obviously hand-wavey vague given the circumstances and shifting borders of the time, but according to wikipedia the area of present day Slovenia had a population of 980k post-WWI, versus around 1.3 million for majority German speaking Styria & Carinthia.

Was there even a significant Slovene speaking population in Styria? Everything I've ever read about the Slovenian minority in Austria post WW1 has only mentioned Carinthia
Err, I mean both regions remained Slavic-speaking, as indicated in this scenario.