Pre 911. Airliner hijacked at Heathrow crashes into parliament during State Opening

What would happen if terrorists seized a plane during the state opening of parliament before 911 and the increased paranoia of airborne terrorism and crashed it directly into the Houses of Parliament killing the Queen, the Prime Minister and much of his Cabinet as well as several ambassadors and other dignitaries?

How does whatever remains of the government react?

I would imagine if the PM and most of the Cabinet are dead that martial law would be imposed by senior army officers until an election could be held. Then of course all sorts of conspiracy theories would start accusing the military of faking a terror attack to seize power.

Some sort of emergency government would be formed I would imagine, probably formed by the most senior surviving minister with former ministers no longer in parliament being co-opted: a general election would most likely be held within 12 months or so - then it's business as usual.

I would imagine if the PM and most of the Cabinet are dead that martial law would be imposed by senior army officers until an election could be held. Then of course all sorts of conspiracy theories would start accusing the military of faking a terror attack to seize power.

I can't see martial law being imposed. The day-to-day operations of all areas of the government will continue as normal under senior civil servants. In terms of formulating any new policy, the new King will quickly appoint a new Prime Minister after taking some advice as to who can best command a majority of what remains of the House of Commons, and surviving members of the Cabinet will meet with their numbers likely supplemented by the King promoting junior ministers, or perhaps appointing other members of the privy council to office (legally, the Cabinet is a sub-committee of the privy council, and retired ministers would be an obvious choice). They will also decide on any military response to the attack.

The state won't rush into elections - undoubtedly they'd be sooner than scheduled, but I'd guess they'd come 4 to 6 months after the outrage - but the military does not step in in the absence of sitting ministers. Our government is technically run by civil servants under the policy direction of ministers; if the ministers suddenly disappear the civil servants simply continue what they have been doing under the most recent instruction, and the crown has the capacity to simply appoint new ministers to tell those civil servants to do things differently, respond to changes of circumstance, etc.

It would be shot down long before it got to parliament because the only routes to there would involve significantly diverting from all flight paths and entering restricted airspace, particularly as you'd have to fly very low over half of London to get to Parliament. The only reason the Pentagon worked was because the airport was much closer and there's more open space around it.

You probably haven't seen the aircraft stacked up on the Heathrow approach path lined up over Central London - to hit Parliament the best approach would be from the Thames side.

Given the speed of airliners one could 16 miles in 2 mins

I do not think it would be likely to be shot down.

I think the exact time would make a difference

I suspect that Charles(who would then be King) would call a new General election with likely a temporary government

Given the speed of airliners one could 16 miles in 2 mins

I do not think it would be likely to be shot down.

I think the exact time would make a difference

I suspect that Charles(who would then be King) would call a new General election with likely a temporary government

The Prince of Wales has attended the State Opening of Parliament on several occasions in recent years.

You probably haven't seen the aircraft stacked up on the Heathrow approach path lined up over Central London - to hit Parliament the best approach would be from the Thames side.

Not really. You'd have to come in on a stupidly tight angle to do so- The Thomas Hospital on the other side of the river is about the same height as the main body of Parliament.

In fact, while it's just about possible for the plane to get to Parliament, based on how far the Pentagon was penetrated, the Chamber of the House of Lords wouldn't actually be hit- just the Peers Gallery and Library. Assuming the nose of the plane even manages to hit directly in place to burrow through to the Chamber which is even more unlikely than it hitting at all.

Indeed, once you take into account that the angle of approach would have to be much sharper, the worst danger would be from fires in Parliament- something we can assume would be negated by the immediate evacuation of the building, starting with HM and the PM.

BlondieBC

Banned
What would happen if terrorists seized a plane during the state opening of parliament before 911 and the increased paranoia of airborne terrorism and crashed it directly into the Houses of Parliament killing the Queen, the Prime Minister and much of his Cabinet as well as several ambassadors and other dignitaries?

How does whatever remains of the government react?

I think they handle this quite easily by going back to old forms. First, you will install the new King that day. He will have massive public support. The King will then pick the most senior surviving member of the ruling party who will become PM, even if a back bencher before. The King calls snap elections. The PM and King do little besides any emergency legislation required by attack. In a month or so, you have a new parliament.

The nice thing about the ability to legally setup a dictatorships (Kingship) and call quick elections is it lets you handle things like this item. In the USA, we have all these complicated CoG (Contingency of Government) Plans which basically have the military rule as we try to rump Congress. Our systems works well as long as we only lose a few people (JFK) or even a couple (Nixon plus his VP). We would have a real issues if we lost a high % of government.

BlondieBC

Banned
I can't see martial law being imposed. The day-to-day operations of all areas of the government will continue as normal under senior civil servants. In terms of formulating any new policy, the new King will quickly appoint a new Prime Minister after taking some advice as to who can best command a majority of what remains of the House of Commons, and surviving members of the Cabinet will meet with their numbers likely supplemented by the King promoting junior ministers, or perhaps appointing other members of the privy council to office (legally, the Cabinet is a sub-committee of the privy council, and retired ministers would be an obvious choice). They will also decide on any military response to the attack.

The state won't rush into elections - undoubtedly they'd be sooner than scheduled, but I'd guess they'd come 4 to 6 months after the outrage - but the military does not step in in the absence of sitting ministers. Our government is technically run by civil servants under the policy direction of ministers; if the ministers suddenly disappear the civil servants simply continue what they have been doing under the most recent instruction, and the crown has the capacity to simply appoint new ministers to tell those civil servants to do things differently, respond to changes of circumstance, etc.

I think it has to be person of same party. I can't see the King appointing a Tory PM after the death of a Labor PM, just because a higher % of labor died than tories in the attack.

And why not call fast elections? The surviving members are almost guaranteed an reelection and fresh 6 year clock on power since they will have sympathy, and presumably if they have credible challengers, these challengers will run for open office.

And by doing snap elections, the new King takes a lot of pressure off the members. And if he appoints the interim ministers, or more likely just issues any needed order changes that must be done in next 30 days and have broad based appeal, things will go smoother for folks. And as long as easily reversed, these orders issue by King should not be controversial. Probably simple stuff like rebuild parliament building, increased security at airports and like. No one is overhauling the taxing system or something major. Just caretaking.

I think it has to be person of same party. I can't see the King appointing a Tory PM after the death of a Labor PM, just because a higher % of labor died than tories in the attack.

One would instinctively say not, but there's no legal barrier to it. Wouldn't even have to be a member of Parliament, actually. In the absence of an obvious leadership figure from the same side, a "non-political" figure acceptable to all sides would probably be first choice. And given the nature of the scenario, I wouldn't be at all surprised if an all-party (or man-three-parties) coalition was formed.

And why not call fast elections? The surviving members are almost guaranteed an reelection and fresh 6 year clock on power since they will have sympathy, and presumably if they have credible challengers, these challengers will run for open office.

5 year clock. One reason is that, if a lot of MPs have died, there won't be any candidates; it will take time for parties to organise local selections for replacement candidates etc. But more importantly, the scenario implies a great deal of chaos that would be massively compounded by an election (more below).

And by doing snap elections, the new King takes a lot of pressure off the members.

Well, no - election campaigns are high-pressure periods. If the new PM is the leader of a party (or quickly made such by his party) you are immediately splitting his focus and you'll be constantly calling him and other ministers back from the campaign trail to go to COBRA meetings etc.

Furthermore, by tradition (certain to be observed) the government goes into a sort of reserve mode during elections - the "purdah". During this period, ministers are supposed to postpone the initiation of any new action that a different government might not want to follow through on. That could mean delaying a lot of ostensibly necessary measures. Civil servants, meanwhile, are supposed to take special care that nothing they or their department says or does could be construed as taking the side of one party or another, or in any way influence the outcome of the election. The last thing you want in the first weeks and months after such an attack, when you as a government are formulating and conducting the response, is for civil servants including the MoD to be worrying about whether this or that announcement or action contravenes the purdah, or having to figure out whether Opposition and third-party requests for information on the government's response must be met to comply with the purdah even at the risk of leaking information the government doesn't want to release yet.

Civil servants are meant to spend the election period simply continuing the mundane tasks of government and reading the party manifestos so they can prepare briefs for each party on how it can best implement its policies within the existing frameworks - again, not something you want staff in certain departments to be doing in the wake of the biggest terrorist attack the country has ever seen. The Foreign Office is even meant to postpone any meetings with foreign dignitaries (such as the heads of state of allied countries) in case the inevitable photo op helps the sitting party over its rivals. This near-shutdown lasts for 4 to 6 weeks - it would surely have to wait until the dust had settled and the important initial reactions had been completed.

It would be shot down long before it got to parliament because the only routes to there would involve significantly diverting from all flight paths and entering restricted airspace, particularly as you'd have to fly very low over half of London to get to Parliament.

No it wouldn't if it is pre 9/11. The one and only QRA in the UK from the end of the Cold War was at RAF Leuchars. There's not enough time for Tornados to get from southern Scotland to London in time, even at supersonic speed.

When the Queen goes to open Parliament an MP goes to Buckingham Palace as a 'hostage', so there would be at least one survivor. The UK does have CoG plans like the USA and in the Cold War a worse case scenario was the death of all government ministers; whoever the surviving Monarch was was supposed to appoint a new lot.

Never going to happen. Will all of the UK airspace be immediate shut down and the RAF put up to shoot down anyone that ignores the orders? Certainly. Also probably likely to see the Royal Artillery and Army as a whole rolling out any surface-to-air missile or general anti-aircraft assets they have left to strategic sites just in case. The idea of the military taking over just isn't going to happen, as others have stated most of the day-to-day functions of government will be able to continue to function normally. The new monarch can technically appoint and dismiss Prime Ministers at will, selecting someone from the currently serving party to head up an emergency caretaker government seems the most likely move. They don't even have to appoint the leader of the largest party, or even a Member of Parliament, it could legally be some random person they picked off the street. Now that sort of thing is likely to bring on a constitutional crisis if they every tried it in real life but if necessary in the immediate chaotic aftermath they could pick a suitable person and say 'Right, you're the new Prime Minister for the next few days until we get something organised.' They're also Commander-in-Chief of the military so can issue any needed orders until the caretaker government can be formed.

Most likely they pick the most senior member of then serving party to survive but make the very pointed suggestion that a government of national unity would probably be in the national interest and that any kind of political messing around will not be tolerated. Then give it a couple months to get over the initial duties and call for a new General Election.

I suspect that Charles (who would then be King) would call a new General election with likely a temporary government.
The Prince of Wales has attended the State Opening of Parliament on several occasions in recent years.
Then we immediate jump to King William V. The main thing to remember is the old saying 'The king is dead, long live the king!', to avoid an interregnum the idea of immediate transferral is used so that the moment the current monarch dies the heir to the throne automatically ascends without any gap taking place. And since the succession is worked out to something like a couple hundred people the UK's never going to be short of finding a replacement.

When the Queen goes to open Parliament an MP goes to Buckingham Palace as a 'hostage', so there would be at least one survivor. The UK does have CoG plans like the USA and in the Cold War a worse case scenario was the death of all government ministers; whoever the surviving Monarch was was supposed to appoint a new lot.

Not just an MP, but a member of the Whips Office, so a Government Minister.

I would suggest that the Privy Council becomes very important in such a situation.

indeed the Privy Council would perhaps be the most important role here as with the Queen dead and the POW dead then the crown would pass to William who would be of age if this took place after 2000.
Let us assume for a moment that it took place on June 21st 2001, and let us assume that the POW was present as well for some ASB reason.

most of parliament would be incapacitated and with the Queen and POW dead the crown would pass to William. The First action would be for the assembly of the ascension council (the privy council) and from there William would have to choose an interim ministry from the Privy council.
The only person who would be selected from the Privy Council to be acting Prime Minister would be John Major given that he had recently retired from the commons and was in charge of Harry and Williams legal and admin side of things following Diana's death.

Rest of the Cabinet would be filled with former cabinet members who were not in the Lords or Commons (first minister of Scotland, Wales, NI)
i would also expect the Lord Mayor of City of London and members from some of the larger local Govt bodies to be drafted in as new prviy councillors until new elections could be held in 6-9 months after a respectable time period to allow time to reflect and allow candidates to step forward.

with new real act of successions for the elected govt it is alot harder to see how things will go, it would be more an educated guess here but thats what i think if we went with the above senario.