In a BS* victory timeline:

A) Chile probably takes a fair bit of far southern Patagonia; mostly just the parts with sparse population. Maybe move the Chile-Argentina border a bit further east in places, for more strategic depth.

B) Brazil gets what it wants, namely control of Uruguay and probably regime change in Argentina. Demilitarize the Argentine bank of the Paraná, given how much of a problem that river was?

C) Mexico splits Centro with CSA (this provision probably doesn't last long enough for formal control to be established, but it's likely to be a clause in the treaty IMO). Possible annexations in the US southwest? Not sure they actually want most of it; they have to know they'll have 'issues' with the Anglo part of the population unless they engage in serious ethnic cleansing. Maybe San Diego?

D) CSA gets guarantees that there will be no interference in CS shenanigans in the Caribbean, to include withdrawal of US forces from Haiti. DC and Maryland occupied, the former probably outright annexed. Probably push for enslaving persons of African descent who are living in the US,but they'd have to win *big* to make that fly I'm sure.

E) In lieu of shutting down the canal (Chile's opening position, naturally) perhaps a 4-nation commission to oversee canal operations and share revenues? Possibly it's a Five-Nation Commission if they deign to include Germany.

F) Of course monetary indemnities and trade favoritism all around.

-----

GAW2 probably features most of the western hemisphere ganging up to take down the CSA.

*Such a deliciously apropos abbreviation...

GAW2 probably features most of the western hemisphere ganging up to take down the CSA.
I honestly see the GAW2 just Mexico and CSA going at it. It's extremely obvious that the CSA elite see Mexico, even including the Mexican Elite as the junior partner in any venture together. And that's not mentioning the CSA policies of white supremacy makes them unable and unwilling to see them as equals no matter what, despite it being pragmatic to their position.

I honestly see the GAW2 just Mexico and CSA going at it. It's extremely obvious that the CSA elite see Mexico, even including the Mexican Elite as the junior partner in any venture together. And that's not mentioning the CSA policies of white supremacy makes them unable and unwilling to see them as equals no matter what, despite it being pragmatic to their position.
I can see it starting that way, but why wouldn't everyone else dogpile? They're all going to be just as tired of the CSA's shitty attitude.

Hello! It's always great to come back and catch up on a spectacular timeline! Your ability to weave stories of politics and war never ceases to amaze me.
It's hard to believe that the fighting has finally ended... it's been a long time coming.

As per usual, I have a few questions pertaining to whereabouts of a few historical figures. I'll limit myself to one per country, including Texas.
First off, from the Confederacy, I'm curious about Happy Chandler. Considering he's from Kentucky and it's special place in this time, it'd be interesting to see where he ends up. In 1917 in OTL, he'd been 19 years old just having graduated from high school with a likely future in sports.
Secondly, in Texas, I'll ask about Maury Maverick. A staunch liberal from San Antonio who served in Congress before being primaried out in 38', he later became Mayor of San Antonio. Also he coined the term "gobbledygook", which is just fun. In 1917 in OTL, he'd been 22, just having been admitted to the bar in San Antonio, before signing up for officer training in WW1.
Finally, in the United States, my question comes from New Mexico, about Bronson Cutting. Cutting has been an interest of mine lately (I'm cooking up a TL centered around him atm), and so I'm especially interested with him. Originally from a rich New York family, Cutting moved to NM expecting to die when he caught tuberculosis at Harvard in 1911. When he didn't, Cutting got involved in progressive politics through newspapers, was commissioned as a Captain in WW1, headed up the NM American Legion, and eventually was appointed to the Senate in 1927 as a progressive and independent-minded Republican. In 1932, Cutting crossed party lines to support FDR and the New Deal, but got into a dispute over Veteran Bonuses, which led him to be targeted in 1934 midterms. Though he won the election, his opponent Dennis Chavez challenged the results, and Cutting was killed in a plane crash flying back to D.C in May 1935 after meeting with his lawyers to examine the results. This brief overview doesn't do him justice, but nonetheless, I'm interested to hear what (if anything) there might be in store for Cutting in the Cincoverse!

Last edited:

A) Chile probably takes a fair bit of far southern Patagonia; mostly just the parts with sparse population. Maybe move the Chile-Argentina border a bit further east in places, for more strategic depth.

B) Brazil gets what it wants, namely control of Uruguay and probably regime change in Argentina. Demilitarize the Argentine bank of the Paraná, given how much of a problem that river was?

C) Mexico splits Centro with CSA (this provision probably doesn't last long enough for formal control to be established, but it's likely to be a clause in the treaty IMO). Possible annexations in the US southwest? Not sure they actually want most of it; they have to know they'll have 'issues' with the Anglo part of the population unless they engage in serious ethnic cleansing. Maybe San Diego?

D) CSA gets guarantees that there will be no interference in CS shenanigans in the Caribbean, to include withdrawal of US forces from Haiti. DC and Maryland occupied, the former probably outright annexed. Probably push for enslaving persons of African descent who are living in the US,but they'd have to win *big* to make that fly I'm sure.

E) In lieu of shutting down the canal (Chile's opening position, naturally) perhaps a 4-nation commission to oversee canal operations and share revenues? Possibly it's a Five-Nation Commission if they deign to include Germany.

-----

Since alt-AZ would remain in the CSA still, San Diego would probably be it for Mexico as far as land grabs, but who knows. It's a great harbor, but very isolated from their power centers, and that forecloses any reconciliation with the US for decades in all likelihood

Otherwise, agreed.
I agree. It's hard to see what would drag a winning Brazil into a war between other BS members in, say the mid-1920s or thereafter, with Uruguay and Argentina (and, by that point, probably Paraguay too) comfortably under their thumbs.
I can see it starting that way, but why wouldn't everyone else dogpile? They're all going to be just as tired of the CSA's shitty attitude.
The US probably does at that point, certainly, depending on how long it's been since the original alt-GAW
Hello! It's always great to come back and catch up on a spectacular timeline! Your ability to weave stories of politics and war never ceases to amaze me.
It's hard to believe that the fighting has finally ended... it's been a long time coming.

As per usual, I have a few questions pertaining to whereabouts of a few historical figures. I'll limit myself to one per country, including Texas.
First off, from the Confederacy, I'm curious about Happy Chandler. Considering he's from Kentucky and it's special place in this time, it'd be interesting to see where he ends up. In 1917 in OTL, he'd been 19 years old just having graduated from high school with a likely future in sports.
Secondly, in Texas, I'll ask about Maury Maverick. A staunch liberal from San Antonio who served in Congress before being primaried out in 38', he later became Mayor of San Antonio. Also he coined the term "gobbledygook", which is just fun. In 1917 in OTL, he'd been 22, just having been admitted to the bar in San Antonio, before signing up for officer training in WW1.
Finally, in the United States, my question comes from New Mexico, about Bronson Cutting. Cutting has been an interest of mine lately (I'm cooking up a TL centered around him atm), and so I'm especially interested with him. Originally from a rich New York family, Cutting moved to NM expecting to die when he caught tuberculosis at Harvard in 1911. When he didn't, Cutting got involved in progressive politics through newspapers, was commissioned as a Captain in WW1, headed up the NM American Legion, and eventually was appointed to the Senate in 1927 as a progressive and independent-minded Republican. In 1932, Cutting crossed party lines to support FDR and the New Deal, but got into a dispute over Veteran Bonuses, which led him to be targeted in 1934 midterms. Though he won the election, his opponent Dennis Chavez challenged the results, and Cutting was killed in a plane crash flying back to D.C in May 1935 after meeting with his lawyers to examine the results. This brief overview doesn't do him justice, but nonetheless, I'm interested to hear what (if anything) there might be in store for Cutting in the Cincoverse!
I was actually just thinking about Bronson Cutting the other day too as I was mapping out New Mexico's future Senators in my notes! I think part of the q is A) does he keep catching tuberculosis and B) if he does, what does his military service look like, as he served in the Army even in OTL's WW1. I didn't have a plan to make him a Senator here, but a Governor, maybe?

-----

Most of the US Southwest that could be conceivably absorbed by Mexico is already owned by the CSA or beyond CSA territory at that point, so that seems like a point for the inevitable Mexico vs. CSA War. So it really depends on how much of California Mexico wants, which likely puts the focus for Mexican gains in Central America, while the CSA is likely to focus on gains against the US. So setting up a war between those two is almost insultingly easy.
I could also see the CSA could also push for a Pacific Coast; San Diego for Mexico, Los Angeles for the CSA?

I was actually just thinking about Bronson Cutting the other day too as I was mapping out New Mexico's future Senators in my notes! I think part of the q is A) does he keep catching tuberculosis and B) if he does, what does his military service look like, as he served in the Army even in OTL's WW1. I didn't have a plan to make him a Senator here, but a Governor, maybe?
Oh, what a funny coincidence! There is certainly a lot that can change with Cutting's life trajectory in the Cincoverse considering that his life path was not the most typical of ones. Quite sadly, Cutting's brother, William Bayard Jr. also caught tuberculosis and ultimately died of it in 1910. Unfortunately, it seems that tuberculosis was common in the Cutting clan. As for the military service, Cutting initially volunteered for the infantry (despite concerns about his health), but ended up being commissioned as a Captain and was sent to London as a military attache, where he spent the duration of the war. Given how much closer the war is to Cutting in the cincoverse (he lived in Santa Fe), I would not be surprised if ended up in the infantry, fighting on the Socorro Line and at Los Pasos.
About his political career -- I understand why he might not end up in Senate given the special circumstances of how it happened in OTL, plus you're dealing with fitting in Arizona's politicians as well. I think he could do a lot of good as Governor, though it would be a shame that the nation as a whole misses out on him. There might still be other possibilities for him at the Federal level. For example, Roosevelt apparently offered him the position of Secretary of the Interior but he ultimately turned it down. There's always the House of Represenatitives as well.
Regardless of what you choose to do with him, I'm sure you'll make it work! Any ending where he doesn't die in a plane crash is a good one!

Last edited:
Ireland Unfree
"...in contempt. Realistically, the so-called "Lull" was never going to last, because in many ways it never really existed. It was based entirely on a skewed view of the conflict from Whitehall that viewed Ireland (in contrast with India or punitive campaigns against native African tribes) as a pseudo-civilian police action rather than a military operation, and a narrative that sought to downplay the power and influence of both Ulster's increasingly splintered paramilitaries as well as the Irish Volunteers. Between the autumns of 1915 and 1916, however, the fighting had not really ended, and the description of Austen Chamberlain of "Ireland at a simmer, not a boil" was more apt than the Cecil government's insistence that it had pacified the island successfully. Vigilantes still wandered Belfast carrying out violent sectarian attacks, disproportionately organized by Loyalists with the tacit and often explicit support of the Army and the RIC; much of Western and Southern Ireland, meanwhile, were "pacified" on paper, with the Army in control of a handful of outposts and the railroads but with most towns and villages having resorted to their own communal policing because even Catholic RIC constables were afraid to go there.

The political conundrum for the Cecil government had also not been solved by the false respite. The British public was simultaneously vehemently opposed to the gauche thuggishness of Ulsterism in the aftermath of the Curragh Mutiny that had triggered the crisis, while simultaneously deeply unsympathetic to the Irish Volunteers and the idea of Irish independence. What made the "Lull" year so important in the war, then, was that it allowed other political groupings to consolidate around their own political views so that when the Lull did inevitably end, they would have coherent positions on Ireland to take. Due to the inability of Cecil to thread the needle that threatened his political coalition - he could neither safely indulge nor denounce Carson and Craig without threatening his government thanks to the Ulster sympathies of most of his Cabinet, particularly F.E. Smith - he essentially left the square of public deliberation entirely to Chamberlain and, to a lesser extent, Redmond.

This was an important development. The National government, satisfied by an uneasy false peace, turned its attention to India, negotiating an end to the various wars in the Americas, and concern about mounting tensions in Hungary that seemed ready to threaten to engulf Austria; the Liberals, in opposition, thus became the chief voice on Ireland, much as National ministers with portfolios unrelated to Ireland, such as William Joynson-Hicks, were able to create an image for themselves independent of Cecil's floundering unpopularity despite a modestly growing economy by late 1916. Chamberlain in early September gave a speech in Birmingham facetiously nicknamed the "Next Year, in Belfast" address, where he openly mocked the Ulster position as "seeking to rebuild some lost temple much like the Israelites, chanting to themselves that 'next year, in Belfast' they will finally have their kingdom on Earth." This puerile throwaway line distracted from the meat of the address, where Chamberlain outlined "the new Liberal position on the Irish Question," which for the first time fully endorsed Home Rule as a piece of the party manifesto. In this Chamberlain was, as this book has pointed out numerous times, a latecomer to the realization amongst most Liberals that Ireland could remain inside an undemocratic Britain or outside of a democratic one, but there was no future for British democracy with Ulsterism and the Irish agitation within it. While some Irish politicians, Dillon among them, huffed at Chamberlain's "conversion to sanity," others like Redmond or, maybe more surprisingly, Devlin welcomed this statement. Historians have debated what exactly moved Chamberlain to leave his previous position of extremely watered-down local controls and pivot to outright Home Rule, considering that as late as early 1914 he was part of the intraparty opposition to Haldane's Government of Ireland Act; the consensus seems to be that his horror at the attempted putsch in Ireland during March 1914 and the subsequent violence carried out across the island for the next year and a half persuaded him that there was no compromising with the Orange Order within Britain, and that Cecil's cowardice (and indeed sympathy) towards the Ascendancy threatened Britain's public institutions.

The second piece of this development was Redmond's gradual conversion to the "Grattanite" solution of an Ireland fully outside of the United Kingdom's domestic political institutions, aligning him increasingly with Devlin in supporting a "hard" Home Rule. Dillon, exposed as always by struggling to articulate what exactly an acceptable compromise would look like, was thus left increasingly irrelevant as the IPP started to consolidate around a compromise that Southern Loyalists like Chief Secretary Midleton could stomach - an Ireland under the Crown (helped along of course by King George's well-known Hibernophilia), with its own Assembly and House of Lords (this to mollify the Ulster-dominated aristocracy of Ireland), in a customs union with London but without representation at Westminster, responsible for its own internal security and policy. Dillon, seeking to undercut Redmond as ever, was unenthusiastic about a solution in which "Ireland would have no voice on trade, defense, or diplomacy" and dismissively huffed that "to pursue this would be render Ireland even more a colony, more a second Canada than a kingdom of her own right."

The solution was deemed by Devlin and Redmond as necessary, though. Some sort of formal and explicit political tie to Whitehall was necessary to prevent further unrest in Ulster, which already viewed their new compromise position as an unholy retreat and the harbinger of "Rome Rule." Devlin, for his part, saw it as an important first step; a settlement in the direction of a co-Kingdom of Ireland that existed as a dominion or personal union with Britain still empowered the Irish people in a way that the current arrangement did not, and further reforms could always be pursued in the future while maintaining many advantages of alignment with Britain, especially considering the esteem with which the current monarch was held in Ireland comparatively to his grandmother, who had let millions starve. [1] But so long as the war sat in a "Lull," there would be no movement, and so the tinder was lit as political machinations consolidated around the Nationals being the only party that truly wanted to keep the Irish inside Westminster any longer, and on September 20th, 1916, the match was lit.

The Irish footballing side of the early 1910s was, until Ireland's outstanding run of form beginning in the mid-1990s, probably the best group in the country's history. It had won the Home Championship in 1913 and 1914 against England (defeating them for the first-ever time) and a combined Wales-Scotland side, until the conflict erupting had threatened to tear the team apart. Club football in Ireland became a nest of sectarian violence, and the 1915 and 1916 Home Championships were cancelled. Simultaneous to this, a combined "British" football side had performed well in the 1910 and 1914 Olympics, despite being dominated by English players. In late September and October, after several months of delays, the first-ever "World Cup" of football was to be played, a tournament organized exclusively for that sport by Jules Rimet in France, and Britain, as the birthplace of the game, was alongside France and Austria one of three favorites. With the Irish conflict fresh in public minds and the need for unity clear, the Football Association elected, once again, to organize a British side as with the Olympics - where national distinctions between the four constituent nations of the United Kingdom were not a thing - and not separately by association, as had been practice in football for decades.

This decision was unpopular in Scotland and Wales; it was a national outrage in Ireland, especially to Catholics such as star captain Val Harris, who considered (with reason) the Irish national side to have earned a place in the World Cup thanks to winning consecutive Home Championships and accused, publicly, the British government of having cancelled the Home Championship the previous two years to "avoid the embarrassment of Ireland defeating England once again, perhaps next time on home ground." Protestant players such as Billy Gillespie or Billy Scott were less vocal, but nonetheless refused to make themselves available to the British national side that was being organized, stating flatly that "we represent Ireland." The conflict escalated as several Scottish players mulled refusing their invitation to France but in the end elected to participate; the movement towards a single British side of English, Scottish and Welsh players was now inexorable, and the Home Championship's days numbered. Ireland was, quite plainly to all who observed, left on the outside.

The final push towards Ireland erupting again was when the President of the Irish Football Association, Sir Hugh Hegan, accepted the invitation of the French to participate in the sixteen-team knockout tournament. The decision was popular amongst Irish of all political stripes, and the players on the team had held together well despite the conflict raging around them; Hegan's choice was not popular in Westminster, and the "inflammatory" speeches by Chamberlain and Redmond that month denouncing Cecil and consolidating around a much harder Home Rule option than in the past - the very thing Ulster had so feared - was taken as a final straw that Hegan's move, despite having been made weeks before, exacerbated.

From a purely legalistic point of view, Hegan had merely done what was his prerogative as the head of an independent football association: accepted an invitation to play a match, or in this case several, by a foreign football association. So as the Irish team gathered at Cork to set off for Calais and their opening match against Spain on September 28th, there was little thought about them potentially breaking the law, because by any objective measure they were not. At the docks in Cork, however, they were met by Royal Navy shore police as well as RIC constables who pointedly told them that they would be refused embarkation and passage to France; Hegan and trainer Ted Seymour angrily protested, as did Harris. Two nights before, the Cecil government had decided in a closed Cabinet meeting that to allow Ireland to play in France as "an independent side" would be acknowledging that Ireland was separate from Britain on foreign soil; as the rest of the UK was in France as a single side, this was taken as a particular affront to "the unity of the Realm." As such, despite the decision to send a single British side having ostensibly been made by coordination of the three football associations in England, Scotland and Wales, the government intervened to refuse the passage of Irish players to France to represent their home, an affront not tempered when Britain crashed out in the quarterfinal after barely defeating Sweden in their first match.

The intersection of sports, politics, and war is a strange thing, and often goes entirely hand-in-hand in ways historians do not realize until much later. This "Football Crisis" was a grievous blunder entirely of Cecil's own making that antagonized not only nationalists but even soft-Loyalists (such as star striker Gillespie) who took pride in their Irish identity even if they were ambivalent or quietly opposed to the most radical proposals of Home Rule. The confrontation at the Cork docks on September 20th ended with Irish winger Samuel Young being struck in the head with the butt of a rifle and a major scuffle breaking out, with a crowd descending angrily on the officers; while nobody was killed, Young took a year to recover from his injury and never played football again, and the riot over the football side did not so much polarize Ireland as outrage all of it but for a handful of approving Ulster Loyalists who viewed any action taken by Britain against Irish identity as worthwhile.

Three days later, at a rally at Dublin's Croke Park (a Gaelic stadium where football was not generally played, thus adding to its symbolism), violence broke out between RIC officers and protestors and six people, including a young mother and her baby, were shot and killed. This "Croke Park Massacre" at the height of the Football Crisis finally broke the lull - it was clear to most Irish nationalists at this point that the Cecil government "intended to extinguish the idea of Ireland until it is laid supine," as Michael Collins angrily declared in a letter to fellow Irish Volunteers in the United States, where he had been for over two years fighting the Confederacy in the American army.

These twin events in September 1916 also created the final impetus for the Irish Parliamentary Party to reach their point of no return. On October 20, 1916 - a month to the day after the Football Crisis began - John Redmond stepped up to the lectern of the House of Commons, with one Parliamentarian of his party having "quit" Westminster every day for the previous three weeks. "It seems apparent that there is no Ireland that can coexist with the worldview of this government," Redmond stated plainly. "Abstentionism has for years been a cause to which I have been bitterly opposed - I have always viewed it as my life's work to advocate for my country and her people, and that I can best use my voice from within these hallowed halls. The events of the past month have proven that that may no longer be possible. A government elected on the heels of an attempted overthrow of the duly chosen representatives of this country, who have tolerated openly and often with encouragement the extinguishment of democracy in Ulster, and the military occupation of the whole of Ireland by the same men who less than three years ago attempted to rebel against the Crown, cannot be said to represent the people who elected them nor the Crown either. As such, it seems my voice may be needed elsewhere, in Ireland, where it can be heard and where people will listen, and until a government as corrupt and craven as this no longer holds the day in Westminster, I and my fellow Irish partisans shall not return to these Commons."

It was Redmond's final address to the Commons - and it was met with loud, raucous cheers from the thirty-odd IPP Members who remained behind him, stunned silence from Liberals, and loud, angry jeers from the Nationals. As he walked out, the rest of the IPP caucus followed him. The party that had carried the balance of power in Westminster for close to a decade to effect Home Rule had just quit it - permanently..."

- Ireland Unfree

[1] YMMV on Victoria's role in the Famine (I don't think she had much to do with it personally) but suffice to say that's not the common view in Ireland, and this book reflects that

Oh, what a funny coincidence! There is certainly a lot that can change with Cutting's life trajectory in the Cincoverse considering that his life path was not the most typical of ones. Quite sadly, Cutting's brother, William Bayard Jr. also caught tuberculosis and ultimately died of it in 1910. Unfortunately, it seems that tuberculosis was common in the Cutting clan. As for the military service, Cutting initially volunteered for the infantry (despite concerns about his health), but ended up being commissioned as a Captain and was sent to London as a military attache, where he spent the duration of the war. Given how much closer the war is to Cutting in the cincoverse (he lived in Santa Fe), I would not be surprised if ended up in the infantry, fighting on the Socorro Line and at Los Pasos.
About his political career -- I understand why he might not end up in Senate given the special circumstances of how it happened in OTL, plus you're dealing with fitting in Arizona's politicians as well. I think he could do a lot of good as Governor, though it would be a shame that the nation as a whole misses out on him. There might still be other possibilities for him at the Federal level. For example, Roosevelt apparently offered for him the position of Secretary of the Interior but he ultimately turned it down. There's always the House of Represenatitives as well.
Regardless of what you choose to do with him, I'm sure you'll make it work! Any ending where he doesn't die in a plane crash is a good one!
Secretary of Interior sounds solid

it was clear to most Irish nationalists at this point that the Cecil government "intended to extinguish the idea of Ireland until it is laid supine," as Michael Collins angrily declared in a letter to fellow Irish Volunteers in the United States, where he had been for over two years fighting the Confederacy in the American army.
Oh boy, I can't wait to see how thousands of experience Irish soldiers will deal with the British after all this time.

It was Redmond's final address to the Commons - and it was met with loud, raucous cheers from the thirty-odd IPP Members who remained behind him, stunned silence from Liberals, and loud, angry jeers from the Nationals. As he walked out, the rest of the IPP caucus followed him. The party that had carried the balance of power in Westminster for close to a decade to effect Home Rule had just quit it - permanently..."
Why are the Liberals so stunned? Did they not see how the Irish were treated for so long? Or did they honestly thought that Ireland was going to put up with the abuse?

Oh boy, I can't wait to see how thousands of experience Irish soldiers will deal with the British after all this time.

Why are the Liberals so stunned? Did they not see how the Irish were treated for so long? Or did they honestly thought that Ireland was going to put up with the abuse?
This is precisely the nightmare scenario Britain is staring at heading into 1917

Stunned more that Redmond, of all people, finally pursued abstentionism and the “quit Westminster” movement, which before the IPP had dismissed as counterproductive at best
I love that "Ireland Unfree" is still going strong after all these decades. That book must be 1,500 pages by now hahaha.
Granted a whoooole lot of content fits under that name so depending on when in history it picks up, it’s probably multi-volume 😂

I look forward to the Nats getting walloped come Jan or Feb 1918, although it sucks that the arch-reactionary neo-Victorian is gonna waltz into power come 1923/1924.

I love that "Ireland Unfree" is still going strong after all these decades. That book must be 1,500 pages by now hahaha.

Granted a whoooole lot of content fits under that name so depending on when in history it picks up, it’s probably multi-volume 😂
I think a lot of these in-universe books are. :p
IIRC a comment was made in the first thread about, I think it was "Rise of the Liberals" and how large it was. But its similar in length and size to the OTL Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party, which is 985 pages BEFORE the appendix and bibliography - which is 200 pages alone, then the index which is like an extra 50 after that.

This is precisely the nightmare scenario Britain is staring at heading into 1917
So you’ve given us what will by the present day be a United Ireland with most of these grievances half a century behind it with one hand… and then held out in the other a Confederacy that is basically NI on steroids over in the EU thread.

Well played.

It's hilarious to me that, ITTL, it is entirely possible that there is an alt-history that managed to find a way for a general European war to break out over the Football Crisis, thus meaning that, in that timeline, the Football War may very well be a commonly accepted nickname for WWI. Would make OTL's Football War look like child's play.
So you’ve given us what will by the present day be a United Ireland with most of these grievances half a century behind it with one hand… and then held out in the other a Confederacy that is basically NI on steroids over in the EU thread.

Well played.
Don't forget Orange Crush Canada. The monkey's paw always curls...