Also, other than whether the question how a stronger Ottoman Empire would deal with Jews emigrating to Palestine, are there any places in this TL where Jews would have it significantly more difficult or easier than OTL? (I don't think the Dreyfus Affair would have ended up in the same place as OTL, but it is entirely possible the first conviction would have stood).
Probably two clashing polices in the Ottoman empire.

On one hand the Palestine area is very much a backwater, even more than it in the OTL with them doing much better so the arrival of motivated, slightly well off immigrants who are willing to listen to state authority is quite the bonus, indeed as time goes on would not be surprised if the Ottoman's try to back them quite a bit as a counterweight against the locals if they start demanding things given Arab regionalism seems to be well on it's way.

On the other the Ottoman's leadership might be content to neglect most of the empire but it's got one thing that very much means they need to keep a eye on is Jerusalem, partially as very much keen their legitimacy to keep a firm control of it and partially given how things can escalate with it such as the Crimean war. Many Europeans settling into the area for religious reasons, challenging the local way of how things are done even if by just being there has a bad memory for the Ottomans.

However it's been quite a while since that crisis happened and since the Ottoman's are both more powerful and less focused on the Middle East I think a mixture of neglect, positive feelings for the immigration with maybe some rejections of some of their requests but overall pretty happy with it for a while. If things start to flare though I think the Ottoman's are going to well fairly anxious after these are European citizens.

Probably two clashing polices in the Ottoman empire.

On one hand the Palestine area is very much a backwater, even more than it in the OTL with them doing much better so the arrival of motivated, slightly well off immigrants who are willing to listen to state authority is quite the bonus, indeed as time goes on would not be surprised if the Ottoman's try to back them quite a bit as a counterweight against the locals if they start demanding things given Arab regionalism seems to be well on it's way.

On the other the Ottoman's leadership might be content to neglect most of the empire but it's got one thing that very much means they need to keep a eye on is Jerusalem, partially as very much keen their legitimacy to keep a firm control of it and partially given how things can escalate with it such as the Crimean war. Many Europeans settling into the area for religious reasons, challenging the local way of how things are done even if by just being there has a bad memory for the Ottomans.

However it's been quite a while since that crisis happened and since the Ottoman's are both more powerful and less focused on the Middle East I think a mixture of neglect, positive feelings for the immigration with maybe some rejections of some of their requests but overall pretty happy with it for a while. If things start to flare though I think the Ottoman's are going to well fairly anxious after these are European citizens.
I think the Ottomans may be less concerned if they view the Jewish settlers as not belonging to a single state, and so are less likely to be used as a fifth column by European power. I imagine that there is a movement within the government to make such settlers swear loyalty to the Ottoman state, just to avoid another Lebanon conflict.

I think the Ottomans may be less concerned if they view the Jewish settlers as not belonging to a single state, and so are less likely to be used as a fifth column by European power. I imagine that there is a movement within the government to make such settlers swear loyalty to the Ottoman state, just to avoid another Lebanon conflict.
I mean less a fifth column but more how do you say foreign citizens? Like say for example you get the fairly normal clerical disputes that used to happen all the time and local garrisons get called in to restore order, the Jewish settler's nations are a bit miffed if it get's resolved hard handed as was quite normal for a backwater place and the Ottoman's start sweating slightly as suddenly it's Britain, France, Germany, Austria ect sending complaints to them. Not a fifth column but more a situation where the Ottomans suddenly realize they might need to thread lightly with a minority in Palestine they used to think did not really matter.

Though yeah maybe later on they have to have exclusive citizenship of the Ottoman empire to avoid that issue.

I mean less a fifth column but more how do you say foreign citizens? Like say for example you get the fairly normal clerical disputes that used to happen all the time and local garrisons get called in to restore order, the Jewish settler's nations are a bit miffed if it get's resolved hard handed as was quite normal for a backwater place and the Ottoman's start sweating slightly as suddenly it's Britain, France, Germany, Austria ect sending complaints to them. Not a fifth column but more a situation where the Ottomans suddenly realize they might need to thread lightly with a minority in Palestine they used to think did not really matter.

Though yeah maybe later on they have to have exclusive citizenship of the Ottoman empire to avoid that issue.
IIRC, the millet court system exists as a way to ensure that Jewish subjects can be judged equitably by their own community, though here the needs of secular Ashkenazim and more devout Mizrahim may come into conflict. My major concern is if Zionist settlers begin to agitate for independence, instead of merely accepting a cohabitation within the Ottoman Empire.

It's very funny to me that I don't care about baseball at all and then I start reading this and I'm intrigued enough to drift towards watching ESPN

IIRC, the millet court system exists as a way to ensure that Jewish subjects can be judged equitably by their own community, though here the needs of secular Ashkenazim and more devout Mizrahim may come into conflict. My major concern is if Zionist settlers begin to agitate for independence, instead of merely accepting a cohabitation within the Ottoman Empire.
Well, I admit quite curious of how that's going to go as the Ottoman empire has absolutely no intentions of letting any of their provinces go and the Palestine area is quite good for maintaining Arabia.

The Ottoman's also are far stronger but well confronting the settlers will be likely a testing experience if it happens.

Jewish Independence at this point is a definitely non-starter. The closest three states that London or Paris would consider independent states to Jerusalem are Greece, Persia and Ethiopia (I think). The Ottoman empire has to completely come apart (I'm not even sure that a loss to Italy, Greece and Serbia would do it, I think you'd have to have Russia pile on as well.

Last edited:
Well, I admit quite curious of how that's going to go as the Ottoman empire has absolutely no intentions of letting any of their provinces go and the Palestine area is quite good for maintaining Arabia.

The Ottoman's also are far stronger but well confronting the settlers will be likely a testing experience if it happens.
Given the Ottoman tradition of using non-arabs against arabs, they might actually be viewed more favorably by the Ottoman government.

Jewish Independence at this point is a definitely non-starter. The closest two states that London or Paris would consider independent states to Jerusalem are Greece, Persia and Ethiopia (I think). The Ottoman empire has to completely come apart (I'm not even sure that a loss to Italy, Greece and Serbia would do it, I think you'd have to have Russia pile on as well.
Yeah, that's what I figure. As long as the Sublime Porte gets its baddal askari (tax to exempt non-Muslims from military service), I think an accommodation will be made.

The Second Act of the Georgian Age: Britain 1906-1924
"...though broadly lumped in with the general run of malaise and mediocrity that effected British politics sandwiched between Chamberlain the Father and Chamberlain the Son, it is no doubt that Cecil's ministry was the one most consumed by events rather than dictating them itself but also the one perhaps most temperamentally and ideologically ill-suited to address those events. The Cecil era is defined most broadly by the twin crises in Ireland and India, but a third "I" belongs alongside them - inflation, or in the parlance of the day, "insecurity."

This word was not used by the government but rather by the opposition leader Austen Chamberlain, who in the year since Haldane's government ended in tears had at last begun to find his stride and the confidence of his Liberal Party behind him. Chamberlain's similarities to his father largely began and ended with his partisan affiliation and their remarkable physical likeness. Where Joseph had been a dominant, aggressively ambitious figure, Austen's political life had been defined by his reluctance to take the mantle of leadership; his father had governed by attempting, with varying degrees of success, to impose his will and views on his party by using the NLF as his hammer, whereas Austen prided himself on being an urbane and gentlemanly figure who sought to lead by consensus. Joseph had represented, at least early on in his career, the sharpest leading edge of late 19th century radicalism; Austen by contrast was by the standards of 1915 a moderate if not genuinely instinctively conservative figure within the Liberal Party, embodied most clearly in his patronage of and friendship with Sir John Simon as his closest confidant. But in opposition to the Cecil years, at least, Austen revealed some of that Chamberlain doggedness and aggressiveness, while never quite the pugilistic bulldog orator that his father had been nonetheless firm in his condemnation of the National government. "In the past year," he declared to the Commons on May 20th, 1915, "the price of beef in Britain has increased by six times over; the price of pork has gone up four times, and the price of a loaf of bread three. In that same time, wages have stagnated, and even an honest working man who has received annual raises finds himself a great deal poorer in real terms than he would have but five years ago, in the midst of depression. The British worker today finds himself hounded not just by the specter of war in Ireland and unrest in India, but by a tremendous deal of insecurity of economy here at home. It must be the agenda of this government to fight not just for peace in Ireland and India but for security on British shores, or I would suggest the government do the honorable thing and resign!"

Austen Chamberlain was not wrong in the speech that suggested, for the first time since his father's stroke in 1906, that a figure possibly meeting the moment of crisis in Britain had arrived, though in fairness to the Cecil government there were a great deal of factors that made the price crisis of 1914-16 difficult to contain purely from Westminster. The crux of the problem was that the grain and meat imports from the Americas, in large part from the United States, Brazil and Argentina, had evaporated since the beginning of 1914. The Cecil government, while a great deal more sympathetic to the Confederate States than its predecessor had been, had nevertheless pursued the policy outlined in Lord Crewe's famous note to the belligerents making plain that Britain would react with extreme prejudice against any attempt to forestall neutral shipping across the Atlantic, but the needs of grain and meat at home for the bellies of hungry soldiers had slashed trans-Atlantic foodstuffs exports from countries fighting in the war by close to ninety-five percent. The skyrocketing prices of food in Britain since the start of hostilities in 1913 was on top of the sharp jump in the price of meat, fruit and bread beginning in early 1912 when Haldane had implemented the Imperial Preference tariff area, which had made Canadian and British farmers extraordinarily wealthy (indeed, the Canadian economy was in the midst of an unprecedented boom) but triggered a brief trade war with the United States and doubled prices from the 1910-11 level as it was.

The British economy in 1915, then, was in a strange flux. Britain was richer, fatter and better educated than ever before - her citizens had never enjoyed higher wages, better labor protections at work, and more plentiful goods to buy as tens of thousands entered the aspirational middle class. However, at the same time, the undergirding of the Empire seemed to be coming apart at the seams, and food, manufactured goods and housing had never been more expensive. The Cecil government made no moves to unwind the modest Liberal reforms of the late Chamberlain or Haldane eras, viewing such as political suicide, but yet also made no moves to directly alleviate the remarkable frustrations of the British working class even just a few years after the Great Unrest of 1911-13. Part of the issue was that Cecil himself was, as any of his biographers would attest, an opportunist. His opposition to Chamberlain's tariff reform in 1903 had not been based out of any commitment to free trade but rather opposition to Joseph Chamberlain, the man. Now with import preference for the Empire in place, Cecil found it more expedient to pander to the farm lobby, of both aristocratic estates overrepresented in the Lords and small freeholders, than challenge the status quo; he noted in his diaries that eliminating import preference would be unlikely to solve the matter of the escalating price issues since it was plain the issue was the war in the Americas.

So in the meantime, Britons bought food from continental Europe and Canada at considerably higher prices. Germany's heavily-subsidized and protected agricultural sector filled in some of the gap, but was quite expensive due to the price supports via tariffs that Berlin imposed to protect the wealthy nobility of the East Elbian estates. Russian grain flowed more freely but the inefficiency of Russian transport systems and the difficulty of feeding even Russian peasants meant that it was more of a trickle. Britons found that North Sea cod and other fish was a perfectly adequate temporary substitute for high quality red meat, importing in particular canned fish from Norway, but the lean years of the mid-1910s certainly emphasized the exposure which Britain had to the vagaries of global agricultural markets and the sensitivity the British diet had to food scarcity as a net importer of foodstuffs.

The British body politic, then, was exposed to fluctuating prices that were not easily addressed thanks in part to the growing Tory farm lobby and a smaller but no less potent lobby in Irish farmers who finally seemed to be reaping the rewards of land reform and whom both major parties, what with the war on in Ireland, seemed keen to appease. The incoherence of British tariff policy was ad hoc depending not on who was in power but on what the monthly prices seemed to be, and whether it was Cecil or Chamberlain ascendant one thing seemed clear - the free trade consensus was over, and a strange, difficult new time beckoned as food was not entirely scarce but also not particularly cheap for the otherwise increasingly comfortable British laborer..." [1]

- The Second Act of the Georgian Age: Britain 1906-1924

[1] We'll be covering the impacts of this in Canada and Ireland soon

Basically
That's our boy!
When he does eventually die Mexico’s TFR will drop by like 1.5 /s

FWIW the color line similarly was never an official, explicit policy. It was sometimes referred to as a "gentleman's agreement", which explains why Branch Rickey was eventually able to sign Jackie Robinson without any penalties to the Dodgers; he technically wasn't breaking any rules when he did so.

IMO, 1930ish isn't unreasonably early to see baseball integrated given the more positive racial attitudes inspired by the war, as long as Kenesaw Mountain Landis's commissionership (which, of course, only materialized because of the Black Sox scandal) is butterflied; he was pretty zealous in enforcing and defending the color barrier OTL. Absent that, all it takes is one team thinking that one black baseball player is good enough to go for it, and not having the league office stand in its way.
Very fair. For better or worse, “Kenneth M.” Landis ITTL finds himself elsewhere in his original role in the judiciary rather than as baseball commissioner.

This conversation makes me want to watch “42” again, though that scene (if you’ve seen it you know what I’m talking about) is extremely difficult to sit through
I know that you've eliminated one of the internal conflicts that Mexico had in (apparently) butterflying away the Caste war in the Yucatan. One of the other significant internal conflicts is the Cristeros War. Obviously it is likely given the TL to hit at the same time as OTL, but is the fact that there is a Catholic monarch kept the country from secularizing to the point where a backlash like the Cristeros war would occur?
There’d probably be some secularist backlash though nowhere near to the extent of OTL
Also, other than whether the question how a stronger Ottoman Empire would deal with Jews emigrating to Palestine, are there any places in this TL where Jews would have it significantly more difficult or easier than OTL? (I don't think the Dreyfus Affair would have ended up in the same place as OTL, but it is entirely possible the first conviction would have stood).
I covered a bit of this in the previous thread but there’s nothing quite Dreyfus level ITTL. I’d say it’s more or less the same as OTL across Europe, maybe a tick more hostile in France though still fairly comfortable for Jews there all things considered
touched on this a bit (I think) but the Mizrahim and Sephardim already in the OE aren’t huge fans of Ashkenazim Zionist politics, finding that it complicates their position a fair deal
It's very funny to me that I don't care about baseball at all and then I start reading this and I'm intrigued enough to drift towards watching ESPN
Haha baseball isn’t my favorite either but every April hope springs eternal…
Yeah, that's what I figure. As long as the Sublime Porte gets its baddal askari (tax to exempt non-Muslims from military service), I think an accommodation will be made.
Ottomans might even play Salonica’s Sephardim off the Zionist immigrants in Palestine, complex of a dance as that would be. Culturally the two had very little in common in the 1910s beyond the shared religion of Judaism
Will the British try to import more from India, the African colonies or other neutral states?
I’d think so, yes. The agricultural markets there are more cash crops rather than staples, though, which makes things tough

This conversation makes me want to watch “42” again, though that scene (if you’ve seen it you know what I’m talking about) is extremely difficult to sit through
But God is a Methodist :)

I’d say it’s more or less the same as OTL across Europe, maybe a tick more hostile in France though still fairly comfortable for Jews there all things considered
Curious how that will evolve over time, particularly in the next 20 years ITTL

But God is a Methodist :)

Curious how that will evolve over time, particularly in the next 20 years ITTL
Russia will continue being an extremely hostile place for Jews, especially sans the Revolution (not that the USSR was great for Jews either, far from it, but the Soviets were still a good deal less bad than the pogrom-happy Tsarist regime)

Basically

When he does eventually die Mexico’s TFR will drop by like 1.5 /s

Very fair. For better or worse, “Kenneth M.” Landis ITTL finds himself elsewhere in his original role in the judiciary rather than as baseball commissioner.

There’d probably be some secularist backlash though nowhere near to the extent of OTL

I covered a bit of this in the previous thread but there’s nothing quite Dreyfus level ITTL. I’d say it’s more or less the same as OTL across Europe, maybe a tick more hostile in France though still fairly comfortable for Jews there all things considered

touched on this a bit (I think) but the Mizrahim and Sephardim already in the OE aren’t huge fans of Ashkenazim Zionist politics, finding that it complicates their position a fair deal

Haha baseball isn’t my favorite either but every April hope springs eternal…

Ottomans might even play Salonica’s Sephardim off the Zionist immigrants in Palestine, complex of a dance as that would be. Culturally the two had very little in common in the 1910s beyond the shared religion of Judaism

I’d think so, yes. The agricultural markets there are more cash crops rather than staples, though, which makes things tough
Yeah, whatever issues France has, the French government would have *definitely* gone after anyone who tried a Pogrom. And while the Infante Jaime, Duke of Madrid the Legitimist claimant to the throne of France apparently enjoyed tormenting Jews while in Warsaw with the Russian Army, I don't think it would necessarily lead France back to where Russia is in terms of relations with its Jews...

I'd saying playing off different groups like that would be difficult, but this is the Empire with an immovable ladder. :)

There aren't any "Mizrahim" (Eastern Jews) in the Ottoman Empire, that term didn't exist until the 1940s as part of a conflation of the Sephardim and other Jewish groups already in the Ottoman Empire by the Ashkenazi in political control of the Jews of Palesine . We could even end up with the term "Tsofolim" (Northern Jews) as a denomym for the Ashkenazi Jews iTTL. :)

Ah. Salonika. So much of a TL can be determined by what the preferred name of the city in 2000. iTTL, it may be Selânik (Ottoman Turkish name for the city)

If you have a *really* adept Ottoman administrator, have them deliver Rice to the Jewish communities in time for Passover. :) (Rice is acceptable during Passover for the Sephardim, but not for the Ashkenazim)

Last edited:
Yeah, whatever issues France has, the French government would have *definitely* gone after anyone who tried a Pogrom. And while the Infante Jaime, Duke of Madrid the Legitimist claimant to the throne of France apparently enjoyed tormenting Jews while in Warsaw with the Russian Army, I don't think it would necessarily lead France back to where Russia is in terms of relations with its Jews...

I'd saying playing off different groups like that would be difficult, but this is the Empire with an immovable ladder. :)

There aren't any "Mizrahim" (Eastern Jews) in the Ottoman Empire, that term didn't exist until the 1940s as part of a conflation of the Sephardim and other Jewish groups already in the Ottoman Empire by the Ashkenazi in political control of the Jews of Palesine . We could even end up with the term "Tsofolim" (Northern Jews) as a denomym for the Ashkenazi Jews iTTL. :)

Ah. Salonika. So much of a TL can be determined by what the preferred name of the city in 2000. iTTL, it may be Selânik (Ottoman Turkish name for the city)

If you have a *really* adept Ottoman administrator, have them deliver Rice to the Jewish communities in time for Passover. :) (Rice is acceptable during Passover for the Sephardim, but not for the Ashkenazim)
Interesting - had no idea that's how the name came about!

But yes, the basic thrust of the situation is that the extant Ottoman Jews aren't super excited, for a variety of reasons, about the Zionists, who aren't huge in number. That the OE has kept almost all of its Balkan territory helps their prestige with native Jewish communities, too.

The People's Prime Minister: Thomas Crerar's Remarkable Canadian Life
"...halcyon time that even the most committed opponents of the National Policy and its Tory intellectuals had a hard time ignoring. The Canadian boomtimes of the mid-1910s were undeniable and, for once, fairly broadly felt. Late in life, Crerar was asked to discuss the various Prime Ministers of Canada and he surprised a great many with his favorable assessment of Leighton McCarthy, whom he considered Canada's most underrated head of government.

McCarthy in little time made his impact on Canadian politics felt both in personal style in public appearances and in the viper's nest of backroom party management, but by and large he was popular thanks to simply not doing anything to muck up the strong Canadian economy that by the time he reached the one-year mark of his government in September 1915 was pivoting from strength to strength. McCarthy had inherited his uncle Dalton's understanding that Toryism required public buy-in rather than simply being the noblesse oblige of the elite and thus viewed the Canadian project as marrying pride in the monarchy with a relevance for the Crown to everyday subjects. It was thus that he demoted reactionary autocrats like Howard Ferguson or Samuel Hughes to minor ministries where they could do little damage and nurtured the technocratic instincts of Sir Robert Borden, the Minister of Finance held-over from the Whitney years. McCarthy had been opposed to the creation of French schools in Ontario and Manitoba unless the community warranted them but having seen Whitney already achieve this policy largely unhindered at the national level regarded the matter settled and did little to antagonize the French community, indeed the Tories enjoyed strong relations with Francophone Canadians as they viewed them as a natural local ally against the Irish immigrant community, whom the Order vehemently disliked thanks to events in Ireland and whom the famously tribal Quebecois resented trying to take over their parish councils. McCarthy found more common cause with Bourassa than merely ganging up on the Irish; the populist instincts of the Prime Minister carried over to supporting the construction of new roads, telephone lines and other infrastructure in the province, and when the call came for Canadian soldiers to head to India to put down the Punjab Mutiny, McCarthy refused to countenance conscription, declaring, "We defend the Empire with the love of the Crown in our breast." The McCarthy government's more diversified and less cronyist approach to internal improvements (lots of small, cheap projects rather than a handful of expensive big ones) was not the extent of its better political instincts; the Prime Minister was a scion of a wealthy family of attorneys and thus hardly a union man or totem for the Prairie farmer, but he was nonetheless a great deal less hostile to the working class than his predecessors in the Conservative Party and in fact viewed them as a key pillar of a more paternalistic, mass politics conservatism.

That said, it is easy to overstate the impact that McCarthy's changed tone and eye for good press had on Canada at the time, for the real impetus for the country's growth was a combination of stagnant economic opportunities in Britain making emigration attractive for tens of thousands of young men and their families, [1] the National Policy protecting Canada's new industries from competition while Imperial Preference created 'safe' markets for Canadian goods for export, and most importantly the Great American War had so dried up the availability of exports from the United States and other belligerents, particularly raw goods and agricultural foodstuffs, that the massive remaining demand in Britain and elsewhere in Europe needed to be met by somewhere else, and Canada ably stepped up to the plate.

Crerar in his own diaries remarked that the summer and autumn of 1915 felt nearly unrecognizable from just three years earlier. An economic boom that had already slowly begun at the start of the decade was now in full swing; as thousands of workers swarmed to Canadian factories, ports and farms, there was the need for new houses, new shops, new everything. "Winnipeg, already one of the world's fastest-growing metropolises," Crerar commented, "today has the energy one associates with towns in the midst of a gold rush. One looks around the corner to see new storefronts and buildings popping up every day in neighborhoods that once were bucolic; one hears English spoken in a dozen accents from one end of the street to another."

Nonetheless, it gnawed at the back of his mind that this was not entirely sustainable. May of 1915 had seen the United States dole out two crippling victories over the Confederate States; the war may not have ended there, but it could go on another year or two at most, which meant that there was a decided endpoint for the boomtimes once American grain shipments could start up again. Canada's farmers, already subject to the severe boom-bust cycles of crop markets, needed to be prepared, and Crerar was already considering what the United Farmers movement could do to be ready..." [2]

- The People's Prime Minister: Thomas Crerar's Remarkable Canadian Life

[1] The rate of emigration to Canada and Australia in the early 1910s from GB was really high. WW1 put a kibosh on that, which was felt particularly hard Down Under. Here, the steady stream continues, which helps Canada in particular catch up to its OTL numbers a bit, and the hundreds of thousands of Britons lying dead in Flanders and Champagne by 1915 and beyond have somewhere else to go...
[2] If this all sounds like what befell Argentina IOTL then yes, you're absolutely right

I admit forgot how much world war 1 really devastated the British empire in the sense it waves of immigrants from being sent to settler colonizes, and removing a very key element in keeping them friendly to Britain with a constantly flow of the population being well British.

That said at least Canada's leaders are aware that the boom will turn into bust quite soon, now being able to deal with it in a good manner while tensions are erupting back at Britain with their own orange order is a different matter.

Interesting - had no idea that's how the name came about!

But yes, the basic thrust of the situation is that the extant Ottoman Jews aren't super excited, for a variety of reasons, about the Zionists, who aren't huge in number. That the OE has kept almost all of its Balkan territory helps their prestige with native Jewish communities, too.
I'd expect that the shattering (expected) of AH would see the Jews flee. Into Russia is unlikely, the Jews of AH would likely speak German in addition to Yiddish and whatever the local language is. Fleeing to the New World is of course possible, Argentina, and the US would be likely, the question is whether the CSA would welcome *anyone* whose ancestry is north of Timbuktu...