Indeed, good point on the flood
I'm wondering.
So far you've had earthquakes and hurricane happen roughly on time as you have not adjusted weather history so much, and you also said the Flood of 1927 is happening, but, are you still having tornadoes happen, because the Tri-state happens in 1925.

hell, there are quite a few big outbreaks during Roots term...

I'm wondering.
So far you've had earthquakes and hurricane happen roughly on time as you have not adjusted weather history so much, and you also said the Flood of 1927 is happening, but, are you still having tornadoes happen, because the Tri-state happens in 1925.

hell, there are quite a few big outbreaks during Roots term...
To build in this comment and that from @Gman we’ll see more variant weather the further out from the POD we go

There was a discussion in one of the threads earlier on what happens to the equivalent of the National Hurricane Center. You don't have the single rich country who cares about Hurricanes and is willing to drop a ton of money doing detection. I'm guessing the primary headquarters for the regional center for Hurricanes in the North Atlantic either ends up in Havana or Houston

There was a discussion in one of the threads earlier on what happens to the equivalent of the National Hurricane Center. You don't have the single rich country who cares about Hurricanes and is willing to drop a ton of money doing detection. I'm guessing the primary headquarters for the regional center for Hurricanes in the North Atlantic either ends up in Havana or Houston
The Vice-royalty of Spanish Cuba is the central hub of Hurticane Detection...

Could be so cool...

That question also depends on how you define a river, and specifically, which river is which in the context of tributaries.

I believe the standard hydrographic definition is that when two rivers meet, the tributary is the one with the smaller discharge (granted, there are exceptions like the Seine river but for cultural and long rooted historical reasons). In the case the Mississippi river was to change course and discharge into the Atchafalaya, then goodbye the Atchafalaya, since it would become subsumed by the Mississippi river.
The Yellow river in North China, after all, did not change its name when it changed course in the 1850s, or else it would be known as the Ji river today (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ji_River).

Of course, a legal dispute is not out of consideration, but at this game, I don't give good odds to the Confederates against their larger, more populated, wealthier and better armed neighbor in the north, especially with far less means to stand up to them after the GAW fought on this very matter. The US are more likely to settle any legal dispute with their neighbor at gunpoint if the Confederates are too stubborn, with some good old fashion gunboat diplomacy.
The term in this case isn't tributary, it is distributary... And things get more more fun with the Red river and the Mississippi above the merger sort of flowing into the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi. (and that merger changes year by year.) and the Confederate Army Corps of Engineers may not even be a thing given the limits on the Confederate Army...

I feel for DC, as a resident, but Philadelphia is a lovely substitute. I'm guessing the parkway you mentioned with the Supreme Court and other buildings on it is roughly OTL's Ben Franklin Parkway?

The term in this case isn't tributary, it is distributary... And things get more more fun with the Red river and the Mississippi above the merger sort of flowing into the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi. (and that merger changes year by year.) and the Confederate Army Corps of Engineers may not even be a thing given the limits on the Confederate Army...
Confederates might need to import engineers from, say, Germany or the Netherlands to help with those kinds of civil works
I feel for DC, as a resident, but Philadelphia is a lovely substitute. I'm guessing the parkway you mentioned with the Supreme Court and other buildings on it is roughly OTL's Ben Franklin Parkway?
Philly is probably my favorite city on the East Coast I’ve had the pleasure of visiting, and my two best friends live in Brooklyn. It’s that legit.

Yes, exactly/roughly it. Could maybe even have the same name!

Confederates might need to import engineers from, say, Germany or the Netherlands to help with those kinds of civil works

Philly is probably my favorite city on the East Coast I’ve had the pleasure of visiting, and my two best friends live in Brooklyn. It’s that legit.

Yes, exactly/roughly it. Could maybe even have the same name!
As far as I can tell, the most significant rivers of the world in terms of switching their outlets to the sea (on a regular basis in historical terms) are the Mississippi, the Rhine (more or less splits among the different Distributaries as it passes into the Netherlands) and the Yellow River in China (and a TL where they actually did control the switch of the outlet caused by the flooding between 1851 and 1855 might be interesting (either changing the Taiping Rebellions result). Not sure how often the Nile, Congo and Amazon change their outlets, and the effects thereof.

And with the CSA seceding, USA Founding fathers from farther north like Franklin and Hamilton are likely to get more reverence iTTL.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the most significant rivers of the world in terms of switching their outlets to the sea (on a regular basis in historical terms) are the Mississippi, the Rhine (more or less splits among the different Distributaries as it passes into the Netherlands) and the Yellow River in China (and a TL where they actually did control the switch of the outlet caused by the flooding between 1851 and 1855 might be interesting (either changing the Taiping Rebellions result). Not sure how often the Nile, Congo and Amazon change their outlets, and the effects thereof.

And with the CSA seceding, USA Founding fathers from farther north like Franklin and Hamilton are likely to get more reverence iTTL.
Whole lot more Franklin High School and Hamilton High School out there, and probably some more Adamses etc, and way less schools named after Lincoln or Grant

(Obviously the post-POD notables will fill in a lot of these slots)

Whole lot more Franklin High School and Hamilton High School out there, and probably some more Adamses etc, and way less schools named after Lincoln or Grant

(Obviously the post-POD notables will fill in a lot of these slots)
There's a decent chance that Alexander Hamilton won't be unknown enough to the general public ITTL for a musical about the guy to be the biggest thing on Broadway in the past decade.

There's a decent chance that Alexander Hamilton won't be unknown enough to the general public ITTL for a musical about the guy to be the biggest thing on Broadway in the past decade.
Indeed.

And said musical probably wouldn’t be able to whitewash Hamilton’s, shall we say, fairly authoritarian views and instincts

I've collected some observations on the future of anti-imperialist movements in Asia but also elsewhere as well. For one it does appear that Vietnam may launch a successful rebellion against France during or after the Central European War. The rebellion is likely to be nationalist and inspired by prominent nationalist leaders like Phan Boi Chau and Phan Chu Trinh but also be led from the top-down by Emperor Duy Tan or at least his partisans. An independent Vietnam may retain its monarchy and begin with an stabler national basis that is for the moment devoid of Communist influence. Japan may take advantage of the rebellion in Vietnam not only to seize control of Taiwan but France's other concessions on the Chinese mainland.
Something akin to the 1940 occupation of Indochina might occur; especially with the French army tied down fighting an war against the Italo-German dual alliance and the war in Vietnam at the same time. It's possible that Germany may even decide to overtly support the Vietnamese rebels against the French by opening up another front in the Far East. Indeed one could see the Vietnamese turning to the Germans because they won't be as able to exert their influence in the Far East as the French. It's possible that the Vietnamese war of independence might inspire similar sentiments in North Africa and in other French colonies too.
This might spiral into an long-running series of colonial conflicts that in turn serve to fan the flames of anti-imperialist sentiment elsewhere as well. One could see the British making concessions over time to avoid the same sort of thing happening to them which could eventually led to independence for India. In terms of the Algerian War and other conflicts; this could poison French domestic politics far into the future with implications that I've discussed at some length elsewhere in this thread. However it is more difficult to see what developments lead the other colonial powers to shed their colonies - especially given what has happened to the Indonesian archipelago and how messy Dutch decolonization was.

I've collected some observations on the future of anti-imperialist movements in Asia but also elsewhere as well. For one it does appear that Vietnam may launch a successful rebellion against France during or after the Central European War. The rebellion is likely to be nationalist and inspired by prominent nationalist leaders like Phan Boi Chau and Phan Chu Trinh but also be led from the top-down by Emperor Duy Tan or at least his partisans. An independent Vietnam may retain its monarchy and begin with an stabler national basis that is for the moment devoid of Communist influence. Japan may take advantage of the rebellion in Vietnam not only to seize control of Taiwan but France's other concessions on the Chinese mainland.
Something akin to the 1940 occupation of Indochina might occur; especially with the French army tied down fighting an war against the Italo-German dual alliance and the war in Vietnam at the same time. It's possible that Germany may even decide to overtly support the Vietnamese rebels against the French by opening up another front in the Far East. Indeed one could see the Vietnamese turning to the Germans because they won't be as able to exert their influence in the Far East as the French. It's possible that the Vietnamese war of independence might inspire similar sentiments in North Africa and in other French colonies too.
This might spiral into an long-running series of colonial conflicts that in turn serve to fan the flames of anti-imperialist sentiment elsewhere as well. One could see the British making concessions over time to avoid the same sort of thing happening to them which could eventually led to independence for India. In terms of the Algerian War and other conflicts; this could poison French domestic politics far into the future with implications that I've discussed at some length elsewhere in this thread. However it is more difficult to see what developments lead the other colonial powers to shed their colonies - especially given what has happened to the Indonesian archipelago and how messy Dutch decolonization was.
Great points all around.

I'll just add that it bears remembering that the Germans have Cambodia as a protectorate, and Siam is in the German sphere of influence, and while the Qing may be gone, Chinese nationalists vividly remember 1885 and the Triomphe Orientale...

Second Wave: The Postwar Progressive Revolution of 1917-31
"...the months between the 1916 election, when it became clear that Liberals would control the Senate, and Kern's death on August 17, 1917 during the Senate's summer recess while in convalescence at a small home he had bought in New Mexico at the urging of his friend, Colonel Bronson Cutting. [1] He had been in poor health since well before the election and more than a few Democrats had urged him to stand aside for new blood in the 65th Congress, but ironically enough Kern's decision to remain the Senate Minority Leader on paper while distributing influence and day-to-day power in the minority to other senior Democrats wound up being the sounder move in the long term.

Kern's death left not a gaping hole of influence at the top of the caucus but rather a committee of experienced, talented Senators who when Democrats retook the Senate just over a year later in the 1918 midterm bloodbath could work well together and established an informal program of leading by consensus; George Turner, [2] the titanic figure of Senate Democrats of this era even more so than Kern, cheekily nicknamed his leadership clique the "Grand Synod" and while the term originally just referred to him and his small coterie that essentially took over the Senate Democratic Caucus from Kern as a committee of equals, the name has since stuck through the decades to be an internal caucus nickname for any circle of powerful senior and tenured Democrats, particularly committee chairmen, who wield influence in the Senate equal to or perhaps even greater than the Majority or Minority leader (Liberals have occasionally made a corollary "Council of Elders," but it is much rarer to hear this term used within the Liberal Senate caucus or in the media).

The Synod of the late 1910s and early 1920s was a tight-knit group of Democrats primarily from the West, with Turner at the center, which included the infamous Sinophobe James D. Phelan of California, "Honest John" Shafroth of Colorado, the well-tenured Fountain Thompson of Dakota, Moses Alexander of Idaho, the famed rerformer Knute Nelson of Minnesota, Frank Newlands of Nevada and Bryan's protege in Richard Metcalfe of Nebraska. With the exception of Shafroth, all had close to a decade or more of experience in the body, most if not all were ranking members of their respective committees, and all were committed Western populists and progressives who nonetheless were wary of the mercurialism of personality politics as practiced by Hearst, Sulzer, Bryan and Kern. It was a newer generation of quieter, more dogged high priests of legislative art, and the core of this group, which would change with retirements, deaths and election results deep into the 1920s until Turner's retirement in 1924 formally disbanded the first Synod, made it their mission to press ahead with the work of the progressive movement in the twilight of their careers and saw their role as being that of depending less on personalism and charisma and more on building coalitions to enact the broadest reform agenda possible.

This stood in marked contrast to the Liberal caucus of the time. While the West was finally given their place at the head table as John E. Osborne of Wyoming [3] was formally made Senate Minority Leader (he was not a member of the Synod, though he was close to many of them personally and in his views), real power flowed up from the committees; Boies Penrose, by contrast, further concentrated control of his caucus in his own hands, especially as his sparring partner Kern was replaced by Liberal Harry New, an appointment of the new Liberal Governor James Goodrich. Drunk on seeing his foil gone, Penrose spent much of late 1917 and most of 1918 ignoring members of his caucus, most infamously Robert La Follette, and antagonizing the opposition openly in what came to be a Senate infamous for its perceived corruption and bossism. The Democrats had pivoted seamlessly from Kern's consolidated leadership to one of broad input and consensus, while the Liberal caucus looked increasingly like Penrose's plaything. With the loss of the Senate by a landslide in 1918 - in which Indiana Democrats effortlessly recaptured Kern's seat via special election thanks to Samuel Ralston - and Penrose's death in 1921, Liberals were left with exactly the gaping leadership vacuum at the top that Kern could have represented without the creative thinking of men like Turner, Shafroth and Metcalfe.

As for Kern, he was buried at home in Alto, Indiana, and commemorated as one of his state's great orators, advocates and sons, with a number of public facilities named in his honor; and Democrats would not soon forget his importance, with legislation to name one of the three Senate office buildings in Philadelphia after him, and his name often affixed to the 1924 constitutional amendment that banned child labor, the great cause of his life that he would not live to see come to fruition..." [4]

- Second Wave: The Postwar Progressive Revolution of 1917-31

[1] Shout out for @BattlePig101 here!
[2] This may be my personal home state bias here, but yes CdM has gone from "the John Hay Fan Fiction thread" to "Epochal President William Randolph Hearst" to "Random-historical-footnote-from-Washington-state-wank" in no time
[3] Google him, you won't regret it
[4] Obviously a bit of foreshadowing around the coming "Second Wave" in this update, where I debated how to make Kern's foreshadowed death more interesting than just a footnote and continue the previous update's efforts to explore the fractious complicated politics of the Root era from a perspective other than Root's.

Last edited:
so I was just skimming the wikipedia article all confused cause there's no "especially notable " or "controversy " section and then saw
" On January 2, 1893, Osborne was inaugurated, wearing the shoes he had made from Big Nose George's skin"

so I was just skimming the wikipedia article all confused cause there's no "especially notable " or "controversy " section and then saw
" On January 2, 1893, Osborne was inaugurated, wearing the shoes he had made from Big Nose George's skin"
I mean, let us not waste good skin, right?
Right?