Absolutely. Another voluntary one-termer up ahead, obviously, though he will have very different reasons for not seeking a second term…
What did Hughes do in Domestic Politics up until now? Made a workmen's compensation bill, expanded beaurocracy by introducing health and budget bureaus to regulate health and budget, nationionalised industry anything else? Presided over a naval scandal, anything else? Will we get a Wikibox after he leaves Presidency?

Last edited:
Absolutely. Another voluntary one-termer up ahead, obviously, though he will have very different reasons for not seeking a second term…

Now I'm curious to see who the poor schmuck is going to be who bungles demobilization and the Confederate occuation so badly. It strikes me that its likely to be someone from the more conservative wings of the Liberal party. I won't be, but I'd laugh if it ends up being Henry Cabot Lodge at this point ;)

What did Hughes do in Domestic Politics up until now? Made a workmen's compensation bill, expanded beaurocracy by introducing health and budget bureaus to regulate health and budget, nationionalised industry anything else? Presided over a naval scandal, anything else? Will we get a Wikibox after he leaves Presidency?
That more or less covers it. Much of his domestic agenda was related to wartime industrial production, only the bolded was peacetime.

And yes, we will
Now I'm curious to see who the poor schmuck is going to be who bungles demobilization and the Confederate occuation so badly. It strikes me that its likely to be someone from the more conservative wings of the Liberal party. I won't be, but I'd laugh if it ends up being Henry Cabot Lodge at this point ;)
I would never subject my dear readers to the terror of a Henry Cabot Lodge Presidency

That isn’t to say that he may not have a role to play in the coming post-Hughes administration…

I'm putting $100 on Butler (not Smedley, his dad Thomas)

That more or less covers it. Much of his domestic agenda was related to wartime industrial production, only the bolded was peacetime.

And yes, we will

I would never subject my dear readers to the terror of a Henry Cabot Lodge Presidency

That isn’t to say that he may not have a role to play in the coming post-Hughes administration…
I'm getting SecState vibes.

Man I'm still quietly rooting for Hughes. Sure he's a technocrat and is moderate certainly compared to his predecessors but I don't know that's just something about him I like! I think regardless what happens in the election history will look at Hughes favourable as President and the role he played in the Great American War.

Since Hughes is not running again and his successor screws things up, could we have a TTL Grover Cleveland-like two nonconsecutive terms? You have to think by the time 1920 or 1924 comes along, Liberals will be clamoring for the "Hero of the Great American War" to make a comeback since he leaves on top.

Man I'm still quietly rooting for Hughes. Sure he's a technocrat and is moderate certainly compared to his predecessors but I don't know that's just something about him I like! I think regardless what happens in the election history will look at Hughes favourable as President and the role he played in the Great American War.
Indeed, he’ll definitely enjoy a fine reputation

One thing that this is all building towards, looking ahead, is technocracy getting inculcated as something that American conservatives view as being successful electorally and part of their “pitch.” Of course it’ll also have an elitist dynamic to it, because TTL Liberals are that way, but it’ll definitely be a big shift from OTL’s “starve the beast” rightism
Since Hughes is not running again and his successor screws things up, could we have a TTL Grover Cleveland-like two nonconsecutive terms? You have to think by the time 1920 or 1924 comes along, Liberals will be clamoring for the "Hero of the Great American War" to make a comeback since he leaves on top.
Oh they certainly will, the open question is whether Hughes will have any interest in entertaining their entreaties once he’s comfortably in retirement and an elder statesman

Indeed, he’ll definitely enjoy a fine reputation

One thing that this is all building towards, looking ahead, is technocracy getting inculcated as something that American conservatives view as being successful electorally and part of their “pitch.” Of course it’ll also have an elitist dynamic to it, because TTL Liberals are that way, but it’ll definitely be a big shift from OTL’s “starve the beast” rightism

Oh they certainly will, the open question is whether Hughes will have any interest in entertaining their entreaties once he’s comfortably in retirement and an elder statesman
Power over others, once had, is like a virus that lives dormant forever in your brain (after 20 years in law enforcement, I saw it enough to know). The question is is Hughes the type of person who will miss that type of power? I don't know enough about him to know for sure, but not many people can resist.

Power over others, once had, is like a virus that lives dormant forever in your brain (after 20 years in law enforcement, I saw it enough to know). The question is is Hughes the type of person who will miss that type of power? I don't know enough about him to know for sure, but not many people can resist.
Very fair point

The Forgotten Front: The Isthmian Campaigns of the Great American War
"...poorly timed. The irony, of course, was that a small push probably could have dislodged Huerta; he was extremely ill, in acutely declining health (he would die as soon as January of 1916 [1]), and to hide his condition most of his men outside of a small inner circle of officers and confidants had not seen him for weeks. Huertistas were hungry, tired and isolated, holed up in their fiefdom of Guatemala City like a pack of cornered rats, but they were willing to fight and die, convinced to the man - particularly after Reyes came to power on October 20th by force and rumors of his violent purge of internal enemies in the Mexican government and armed forces reached Guatemala - that they faced grievous torture and the firing squad should they return home.

It thus was the case that despite their leverage rapidly dwindling, the Huertistas were left unmolested as the Mexicans suddenly retreated out of Guatemala despite being within spitting distance of the capital, and a small contingent of American Marines were subsequently repulsed, with the weight of forces having been recalled to San Salvador by Butler to help keep the peace. The United States would be back in greater force in February, after Huerta died, but the final months of 1915 were critical as what was left of the Guatemalan Army either begrudgingly pledged fealty to the new foreign warlord camped out in the capital or dissolved into the jungle, splintering into small guerilla bands that were convinced they were to be executed if caught but mistrusting their peers, often due to ideological debates suppressed by violence and murder during the Estrada Cabrera years. Even more so than Honduras' looming civil conflict, Guatemala's bloodshed was most certainly not at an end..."

- The Forgotten Front: The Isthmian Campaigns of the Great American War

[1] Since the rumor that Victoriano Huerta was poisoned has never been corroborated, I elected to keep his date of death in place

"...poorly timed. The irony, of course, was that a small push probably could have dislodged Huerta; he was extremely ill, in acutely declining health (he would die as soon as January of 1916 [1]), and to hide his condition most of his men outside of a small inner circle of officers and confidants had not seen him for weeks. Huertistas were hungry, tired and isolated, holed up in their fiefdom of Guatemala City like a pack of cornered rats, but they were willing to fight and die, convinced to the man - particularly after Reyes came to power on October 20th by force and rumors of his violent purge of internal enemies in the Mexican government and armed forces reached Guatemala - that they faced grievous torture and the firing squad should they return home.

It thus was the case that despite their leverage rapidly dwindling, the Huertistas were left unmolested as the Mexicans suddenly retreated out of Guatemala despite being within spitting distance of the capital, and a small contingent of American Marines were subsequently repulsed, with the weight of forces having been recalled to San Salvador by Butler to help keep the peace. The United States would be back in greater force in February, after Huerta died, but the final months of 1915 were critical as what was left of the Guatemalan Army either begrudgingly pledged fealty to the new foreign warlord camped out in the capital or dissolved into the jungle, splintering into small guerilla bands that were convinced they were to be executed if caught but mistrusting their peers, often due to ideological debates suppressed by violence and murder during the Estrada Cabrera years. Even more so than Honduras' looming civil conflict, Guatemala's bloodshed was most certainly not at an end..."

- The Forgotten Front: The Isthmian Campaigns of the Great American War

[1] Since the rumor that Victoriano Huerta was poisoned has never been corroborated, I elected to keep his date of death in place
And in the Latin America-Asia rearrangement, the part of 1960s & 1970s Cambodia and Laos will be played by 1920s & 1930s Guatemala and Honduras.
Oddly, the weakened Guatemala and the Argentina *much* more focused on issues with Brazil make the British Possessions in the New World of Belize and the Falklands *less* likely to be attacked.

(I *think* the largest single entities *not* discussed anywhere in the GAW have been Jamaica & Greenland.)

Which leads to another point. Denmark will be on the *losing* side of the CEW, any chance of either Iceland or Greenland slipping away? And will anyone want St. Pierre & Miquelon? (PEI, Newfoundland and St. Pierre & Miquelon form the North Atlantic Treaty Organization????)

A Freedom Bought With Blood: Emancipation and the Postwar Confederacy
"...most influential Black intellectual voice of the generation that followed Frederick Douglass. Washington's contributions to modern Black American culture in the United States are immeasurable; it was his obsession with advancement through education that created the wide push for literacy campaigns, math clubs run out of churches and the demographically disproportionate representation of Black Americans as lawyers, doctors, engineers and scientists, and he was one of many figures who helped bind Black Americans to the Liberal Party. [1]

Washington's death did leave a gaping hole in Black leadership in the United States, though, particularly as the ruling Liberals began to ponder how they would approach the question of looming emancipation. "Bookerism," as his proponents and detractors both called it, had been the ascendant point of view not only among Liberal grandees such as Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, but also increasingly gained currency amongst Democrats, who had historically been less empathetic to Black concerns once north of the Ohio even as they were lockstep in opposition to slavery with the Liberals by 1915. With Washington and his advocacy gone, what would follow was for once an open question.

Conditions in Kentucky suggested something of a Bookerite laboratory, for instance. The tens of thousands of freedmen who had worked their way up there were met by educators, clergy and other humanitarians who made their way into refugee camps. The collapse of civil society in Kentucky and its place as a holding area for escaped slaves until the United States could decide what to do with them meant that in many places, freedmen filled those gaps. In war-ravaged towns like Paducah, or Louisville, or Bowling Green, it was suddenly Black faces that appeared when one asked for a grocer, or a clerk at the courthouse, or even policemen or in some cases doctors. Rapid, on-the-fly education for new roles made western Kentucky in particular something of a Black Mecca, a place where they rapidly stepped into new roles and jobs while some could still even barely read. As the war was now well to their south and Irregulars thus had to operate even further south - the United States Army marched on Little Rock at the same time that Washington's funeral was held in Philadelphia, for instance - Kentucky started to show the green shoots of what a postbellum Black-run society could look like, and Bookerite thinking seemed to have been validated and confirmed.

The "Kentucky System" was, however, not mappable more broadly for two reasons. The first was that it was ascendant in a very small area - occupied Kentucky west of Frankfort and north of Lexington - and was not visible to the millions of Blacks both free and in bondage who were further South, often moved even further South by force as the war entered its final, horrifying year. That it was concentrated in a small area that had been in American hands since mid-1914 by-and-large, and where Irregulars and the Home Guard did not operate, and was the focii of an admittedly small minority of Blacks while tens of thousands of others rotted in squalid camps dotted across Kentucky and west-central Tennessee, made it a decidedly minority experience that few were able to really see in action.

The other was that with Washington's death, more radical voices in the Union were now the decisive figures of Black thought, men like William Monroe Trotter or WEB DuBois, whose Niagara Movement had already been ascendant and whose "National Association for the Advancement of Colored Persons" was founded in early 1915 as a pressure organization that looked more broadly than mere abolition, which was by now an almost entirely mainstream and uncontroversial view in the United States' political class. While the NAACP was practically incrementalist, if not counter-revolutionary and reactionary, by the standards of the true radicals that were emerging south of the Ohio River during 1916, it nonetheless advocated a considerably more robust program than Washington's plead for schools and colleges to educate Black men into white society, advocating for the dismantling of the white supremacist superstructure of the Confederate States as the end-game of the war above simply abolition and advocating for the civil rights of not only Black men and women but also Natives, Chinese and immigrants.

Booker Washington was dead, and with his death, the movement he had embodied for nearly thirty-five years rapidly began to pass him by before his body was even in the ground..."

- A Freedom Bought With Blood: Emancipation and the Postwar Confederacy

[1] I forget who, but somebody suggested to me that an interesting take in this TL would be Black Americans largely becoming the "model minority" in the US, particularly since they're in such smaller numbers, and I definitely want to run with that. It was happening IOTL at one point before stuff like the Tulsa Massacre and freeways got run through prosperous enterprising Black neighborhoods

And in the Latin America-Asia rearrangement, the part of 1960s & 1970s Cambodia and Laos will be played by 1920s & 1930s Guatemala and Honduras.
Oddly, the weakened Guatemala and the Argentina *much* more focused on issues with Brazil make the British Possessions in the New World of Belize and the Falklands *less* likely to be attacked.

(I *think* the largest single entities *not* discussed anywhere in the GAW have been Jamaica & Greenland.)

Which leads to another point. Denmark will be on the *losing* side of the CEW, any chance of either Iceland or Greenland slipping away? And will anyone want St. Pierre & Miquelon? (PEI, Newfoundland and St. Pierre & Miquelon form the North Atlantic Treaty Organization????)
I should emphasize that East Asia-as-LatAm is not meant to be 1:1 parallelism but rather a jumping off point, of course

But that is a good q regarding Denmark and we’ll just have to wait to see…

(Would anyone even want St. Pierre? And yes we’ll have some kind of “Atlantic Union” of the Canadian Maritimes, eventually)

Washington's contributions to modern Black American culture in the United States are immeasurable; it was his obsession with advancement through education that created the wide push for literacy campaigns, math clubs run out of churches and the demographically disproportionate representation of Black Americans as lawyers, doctors, engineers and scientists, and he was one of many figures who helped bind Black Americans to the Liberal Party. [1]

[1] I forget who, but somebody suggested to me that an interesting take in this TL would be Black Americans largely becoming the "model minority" in the US, particularly since they're in such smaller numbers, and I definitely want to run with that. It was happening IOTL at one point before stuff like the Tulsa Massacre and freeways got run through prosperous enterprising Black neighborhoods
Are you aiming for something like OTL's relationship between Jews and the Democratic Party? Something like 50-70% of Jews/Blacks are Dems/Libs and have been for a long time?

Are you aiming for something like OTL's relationship between Jews and the Democratic Party? Something like 50-70% of Jews/Blacks are Dems/Libs and have been for a long time?
More or less. Probably somewhere between OTL Jews’ and OTL’s Asian-Americans (too broad a term but meant to just give the gist) I’d say. Both in terms of punching above their weight and landing somewhere between the percentages of those groups that vote D IOTL.

The big picture is that technocracy is accepted more broadly but comes to be associated more with the educated, elite liberal-conservative Liberals, which appeals to educated groups such as Blacks and, later, high-education immigrants like South Asians etc, while machine politics/patronage comes to be seen as something more populist/bringing home bacon, which of course appeals to WWC voters and white ethnics. This is part of the reason you won’t see as much of a Great Sort ideologically on racial, ideological or (increasingly) educational lines since this remains a major fault line of American politics, though there’ll be ideologically “pure” splinter parties on left and right if that’s your bag, especially once RCV comes into play.

This isn’t quite as Blursed a partisan arrangement as what @TheHedgehog cooked up in his wonderful “The American System,” but hopefully gets me close to that same feeling. You’ll notice that both these approaches - leaving either the technocrats or ward bosses in charge, depending on who you vote for - is a very hierarchical approach to governing

The big picture is that technocracy is accepted more broadly but comes to be associated more with the educated, elite liberal-conservative Liberals, which appeals to educated groups such as Blacks and, later, high-education immigrants like South Asians etc, while machine politics/patronage comes to be seen as something more populist/bringing home bacon, which of course appeals to WWC voters and white ethnics. This is part of the reason you won’t see as much of a Great Sort ideologically on racial, ideological or (increasingly) educational lines since this remains a major fault line of American politics, though there’ll be ideologically “pure” splinter parties on left and right if that’s your bag, especially once RCV comes into play.
There's something sort of ironic that assuming everything else stays the same that ITTL's version of me, a late 30s guy with a Masters, might be Team Liberal. Then again, I'm a white guy, (grand)son of non-Protestant immigrants who works for a Chicago government agency so 🤷‍♂️

There's something sort of ironic that assuming everything else stays the same that ITTL's version of me, a late 30s guy with a Masters, might be Team Liberal. Then again, I'm a white guy, (grand)son of non-Protestant immigrants who works for a Chicago government agency so 🤷‍♂️
lol, that’d sure be ironic!

ITL you may - gasp! - be a swing voter!
What's thst?
Ranked choice voting