Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Honestly I want one of those railway companies to license out diesel electric locomotive production from the US in the early 30s for desert runs. Those big diesel engines would be so useful in a decade's time.

What examples of US diesels were there at this time?

When they tried FM diesels in railroad locomotives post war they were not that successful, however the engines were excellent marine units and later as static generators.

13 March 1942. Ping River, Thailand.
13 March 1942. Ping River, Thailand.

Lieutenant-General Bill Slim pulled himself out of the slit trench, apologising to the men that he’s landed on top of. While inspecting some of the 10th Indian Division positions, a brief warning had been given before a flight of Japanese fighters had flown over, dropping bombs and straffing. The various Anti-Aircraft platoons did their best, but the Bren and Lewis guns weren’t able to do any harm to the Japanese aircraft.

The battle for command of the air was mostly out-with Slim’s control. The nearest friendly air bases were some distance back, whereas the Japanese’ bases were closer. The RAF and AVG were doing their best to provide air cover, and the medium bombers were attacking the Japanese bases regularly. There was a captured Thai landing strip at Mae Sot that the RAF liaison assured Slim would be operational within a week or so. Otherwise, the Hurricanes of 267 Wing were forward based at Moulmein, though the main maintenance unit was back at Mingaladon.

Everything really depended on getting the road from Moulmein via Mae Sot to the Ping River up to scratch. Maybe then the RAF could provide aircover, and the supplies for the forward Divisions could be moved more easily. The 11th African Division had been in the fight longest and needed a rest. The 9th (Highland) Division were currently moving up to replace them, and once the tanks of the 44th Bn RTR were ready for action, Slim wanted to try to force a crossing of the river, which the Highlander’s three artillery regiments, would give them the kind of punch needed.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
So things are a bit rough in Thailand and Slim and his boys are having a tough time of it, however it is they who are advancing, not the Japanese. And once the RAF has a forward airfield and the road has been brought up to scratch, things are only going to get worse for the Japanese. Having a forward airfield means that light but essential supplies can be brought in by air, and casualties instead of suffering a torturous road journey, can be airlifted out. The intricate and complex Japanese plan in Burma and Malaya has completely gone of the rails, and all the Japanese can do is pray for the arrival of the monsoon and a pause in the fighting. And the chance to come up with a new plan, and shuffle their limited troops around as they prepare for the next round. Unknown to them this will be the penultimate time they get to take a pause during the monsoon, as the British will eventually be able to fight right on through the worst weather that the region can throw at them. All though they don’t know it yet, they have lost the war, the problem now for the Anglo Americans is working out how they win it.

RR.

TBH in Malay and Burma the Japanese have pretty much lost the war there, and have been pushed back into Thailand which may make their Thai allies consider their own exit strategy, they may also quietly start approaching the British and USA about an exit strategy. It leaves the question of French-Indochina though which will be a bit sticky. They Dutch are holding their own the only place they are doing well is against the US which is probably causing POTUS issues given the better performance of DUKE and Dutch forces Roosevelt may be feeling his feet under the heat a little bit right now as well I mean since he lost a high ranking General even if its MacArthur and is having to pull out of a colonial possesion.

The Japanese fundamentally have lost the Malay-Burma Land campaign and there is no way they can regain the momentum without effectively gutting themselves for the rest of the war even if the IJN goes looking for trouble against the RN they won't do it to support the Army unless the Emperor ordered it. Right now they will be more concerned about the USN even if the RN is more active you have Officers like Yammato who have seen what the US industry can do.

working out how they win it.

RR.
That is the million dollar question without the bombs. Economically isolated, but a long way from militarily desperate, end game is likely to happen before three years of strangulation. So we are back to isolate the Home Islands and let evryone starve.

That is the million dollar question without the bombs. Economically isolated, but a long way from militarily desperate, end game is likely to happen before three years of strangulation. So we are back to isolate the Home Islands and let evryone starve.
Then the question becomes; Do we plan for the future bombs, or does the US look into a major campaign in China?

In either event, with Mac out of the way, another set of trumpeters will arrive on the scene: the Allied Bomber Barons proposing blockading, bombing & minium Japan until it surrenders.

three years of strangulation. So we are back to isolate the Home Islands and let evryone starve.
blockading, bombing & minium Japan until it surrenders
Blockade is likely the best option, over and above bombardment. To use a phrase from a timeline I never published: 'It's difficult for a man to feel discontentment with his government, to demand change from those in power, to demand an end to war, while he's on fire.'

I'll refer the USAAF's own post-war assessment of the Pacific campaign where they themselves consider air-dropped mines and naval blockade of the Japanese Islands to have been materially more effective than the strategic bombing campaign
Quite the eye-opener for me to read the air force openly admitting the whole bombing campaign was kind of a waste of time compared to the efficacy of blockade.

They're more interested in Germany right now.
Aye I could maybe see an earlier deployment of something like Tiger Force for hitting long-ranged Japanese targets but this would need some additional airbase closer set up as well as a perceived need and manpower free.

Also getting the current Commander of Bomber command to agree.

Though one thing I could see is addtional transport aircraft making its way out east. Since they won't have to use the hump as heavily, and the overland route is still open via the Burma road, I imagine they will want to increase the through put of supplies out east. Transport aircraft could be a way to move a lot of gear short of truks, tanks, shells and arty.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Aye I could maybe see an earlier deployment of something like Tiger Force for hitting long-ranged Japanese targets but this would need some additional airbase closer set up as well as a perceived need and manpower free.

Also getting the current Commander of Bomber command to agree.

Though one thing I could see is addtional transport aircraft making its way out east. Since they won't have to use the hump as heavily, and the overland route is still open via the Burma road, I imagine they will want to increase the through put of supplies out east. Transport aircraft could be a way to move a lot of gear short of truks, tanks, shells and arty.

Funny enough, you can kill two birds with one stone, by deploying an aircraft to the Far East that wasn’t a great success in the European theatre of operations. The Short Sterling was designed pre war to be a bomber transport, but due to some design flaws, wasn’t fully up to the task of being a strategic bomber over German. It’s wings were too short and it struggled to reach an acceptable altitude, while its bomb bay being under the floor of its rear fuselage, designed for carrying troops and cargo, was too shallow and prevented it from carrying bombs above 2000 lbs. These faults which were so deliberating in Europe, were to some extent advantageous in the Far East. Their were very few targets that required big bombs bigger than what a Sterling could carry, and it’s ability to carry 24 fully equipped troops, and ether 14,000 lbs of cargo ether internally or in parachute panniers within the bomb bay. And to act as a glider tug able to tow two gliders at the same time, plus if fitted with a belly hatch delivery special forces personnel by parachute behind enemy lines. Make it to my mind despite its short range if fully loaded, ideal for the region.

RR.

Even before the airfield is full operational, it's useful as a location to airdrop supplies.

Last edited:
Or you know... send in the subs. Yes, the Mk14s will restrict the USN, but the RN is no longer tying up its Pacific subs in the Med. Subs made for a plan dating back to the early days of the Singapore fleet base.
There are a couple of years before the islands can be taken to allow aerial attack. A couple of years of the IJN starving through lack of oil, unable to sortie to guard the sealanes.

Or you know... send in the subs. Yes, the Mk14s will restrict the USN, but the RN is no longer tying up its Pacific subs in the Med. Subs made for a plan dating back to the early days of the Singapore fleet base.
There are a couple of years before the islands can be taken to allow aerial attack. A couple of years of the IJN starving through lack of oil, unable to sortie to guard the sealanes.
The British and Dutch subs are currently busy ensuring the the Japanese merchant marine in the South China Sea dies a death. Besides, even if their torpedoes don't work, the American boats can still lay mines.

I do wonder if there's going to be a Doolittle Raid ITTL?

Last edited: