Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

PNWKing

Banned
Hahahahahahaha. Although I'm sure my great-grandfather would have lynched you guys for making an ex-Pope a gangster. (He was a devout Catholic, although not fire-and-brimstone about it.)

You do realise that if Karol is let anywhere near the reigns of power he will put on a public persona of being a very devout and pious Catholic to the extent his BII codename will become Pope...

You do realise that if Karol is let anywhere near the reigns of power he will put on a public persona of being a very devout and pious Catholic to the extent his BII codename will become Pope...

Karol Wojtyla and Poland are too synonymous.

At least, you know its my opinion on that, but its too good to not somehow have KW to somehow once again to be the Patron Saint of Poland. I mean, it might not be totally legal how it happens, but still somehow iconic and amusing,

Part 113, Chapter 1860
Chapter One Thousand Eight Hundred Sixty

24th July 1968

Kattowitz

“Is your father home?” Hans asked the teenager who had answered the phone. He knew whose house he was calling in Posen, so he wasn’t too surprised by the attitude he got back.

“Who’s calling?” The teenager asked in reply in the tone of voice that he would never dare to use if Hans were there in person.

He did the math and made an educated guess.

“Tell him that his old friend Hans from the Heer needs to talk to him Adam” Hans said.

“He’s never mentioned a friend named Hans” Adam said, “And how do you know my name?”

“I am not that kind of friend” Hans replied and the way he said it must have gotten the boy to realize he was on dangerous ground.

Hans heard Adam drop the phone and a minute later Karol Wojtyla, known as Karl, because he had Germanized his first name when he had joined the Heer, picked up the phone.

“Adam is what, sixteen or seventeen now?” Hans asked mildly.

“Seventeen Johannes, and his mother and I are counting down the days before the little shit goes off to University” Karl said, “Tell me what you want before I hang up.”

“Is that any way to greet an old friend?” Hans asked.

“Your blackmailer is never your friend” Karl said, “And I know for a fact that you don’t have anything on me that is less than a decade or two old.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that” Hans replied, “It would be a damn shame if the State Prosecutor there in Posen should happen to learn the details of how your construction company has been landing lucrative contracts for highway construction.”

Karl didn’t hang up and Hans could hear him breathing on the other side of the line.

“What do you want?” Karl said sharply.

“I’m sure you’ve seen the news lately” Hans said, “There is this little problem in Poland I’ve been asked to straighten out and I need someone who knows the lay of the land as it were.”

Karl knew full well that he was subject to recall as a retired Generalmajor and that if Hans wanted him back, it would stick. Hans understood that he needed Karl’s expertise if he didn’t want to fuck up Poland and have to invade it again in a few years so giving him a choice in the matter wasn’t really an option. However, just getting him to leave Posen would be the major challenge.

“I’m calling your bluff this time” Karl said, “Tell the State Prosecutors whatever you like, I don’t care. I’ve an entire team of Lawyers on retainer to get me out of jams like that.”

“Have it your way then Karl” Hans said, “But, have you ever known me not to have more than one plan in a given situation?”

“Meaning what?”

“Like say for example, I happen to be talking to you on the phone to distract you and keep you from scurrying out the back while a team of Feldjäger enter your house to drag you to back my Headquarters in Kattowitz.”

“You wouldn’t have the balls to do that sort of…” Hans heard the sound of splintering wood and Karl cussing at the men who were storming his house as the phone was left off the hook. Hans could clearly hear the sounds of a rather protracted struggle going on for a few minutes before Karl was overwhelmed. Eventually, one of the Feldjäger picked up the phone.

“We got him Sir” The Officer from the Military Police said, clearly pissed. “You still want us to bring him back there? He bit one of my men.”

“Tell your man to be more careful next time” Hans replied, “And of course I still need him here.”

Hans knew that he would need to straighten out matters with Karl’s wife Ginka but understood the mercenary nature of the Wojtyla family. It would take her perhaps five seconds on the outside to see the opportunities that would exist to become filthy rich in a newly liberated Poland and she would be delighted to help with her husband, so that they could help themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now that he was a Gefreiter, Christian Weise had been placed in charge of the Recon Team that represented half of the Squad he had been assigned to. That consisted of Oberschütze Einar Tann, Kraftfahrer Rainer Maus, and Funker Ralf Blecher. Luckily, the Volkswagen Iltis they had been issued was one of the new models with the lengthened chassis, expanded crew compartment and the improved four-cylinder Diesel engine. Otherwise having the four of them packed in there would be entirely too cozy and Christian doubted they would make it more than a kilometer before there was a fight.

Looking at the Iltis now that it was completely loaded Christian just hoped that it wouldn’t bottom out too much when they hit bumps. With anything they were supposed have, they had made sure they had an extra amount of it. There were cans of diesel fuel and fresh water, crates of ammunition and rations, the tool kit that was worth its weight in gold, along with their personal effects, all crammed into the back. There were other things too such as the MG42/48 on the pintle mount and the Panzerfaust 400 that they were not supposed to have.

Einar had suggested that they get Panzerfaust through a midnight acquisition. What Christian had realized when he had asked about that was if they ran into enemy armor and the heaviest weapon that they had was the grenade launcher on his AG44, then they would be totally fucked. So, he had told Einar to do it, just not to get caught.

They also had a new Vz.60 light machine gun, two G44 rifles, Christian’s AG44 with the under-barrel grenade launcher, and a few crates of hand grenades; smoke and fragmentation.

Last edited:
“Have it your way then Karl” Hans said, “But, have you ever known me not to have more than one plan in a given situation?”

“Meaning what?”

“Like say for example, I happen to be talking to you on the phone to distract you and keep you from scurrying out the back while a team of Feldjäger enter your house to drag you to back my Headquarters in Kattowitz.”

“You wouldn’t have the balls to do that sort of…” Hans heard the sound of splintering wood and Karl cussing at the men who were storming his house as the phone was left off the hook. Hans could clearly hear the sounds of a rather protracted struggle going on for a few minutes before Karl was overwhelmed. Eventually, one of the Feldjäger picked up the phone.

Karl really should have known better; Hans is a von Mischner, of course he had the balls for that.

“What do you want?” Karl said sharply.

“I’m sure you’ve seen the news lately” Hans said, “There is this little problem in Poland I’ve been asked to straighten out and I need someone who knows the lay of the land as it were.”

Karl knew full well that he was subject to recall as a retired Generalmajor and that if Hans wanted him back, it would stick. Hans understood that he needed Karl’s expertise if he didn’t want to fuck up Poland and have to invade it again in a few years so giving him a choice in the matter wasn’t really an option. However, just getting him to leave Posen would be the major challenge.

“I’m calling your bluff this time” Karl said, “Tell the State Prosecutors whatever

you like, I don’t care. I’ve an entire team of Lawyers on retainer to get me out of jams like that.”

“Meaning what?”

“We got him Sir” The Officer from the Military Police said, clearly pissed. “You still want us to bring him back there? He bit one of my men.”

“Tell your man to be more careful next time” Hans replied, “And of course I still need him here.”

Hans knew that he would need to straighten out matters with Karl’s wife Ginka but understood the mercenary nature of the Wojtyla family. It would take her perhaps five seconds on the outside to see the opportunities that would exist to become filthy rich in a newly liberated Poland and she would be delighted to help with her husband, so that they could help themselves.

.....ah! I honestly think you are going along with this because we all want it! :p :p :p :p :p

Nonetheless, I want more.

Stefan would probably dispute that assertion... by pointing out their brother who works in the steelworks in Essen
Remember he dated for a quite a few years then married the daughter of one Walter “Mad Dog” von Horst which is still to this day not considered to be something that a sane person would do...
Sorry responded to wrong post

I think the MPs should be called Feldgendarm (plural Feldgendarmen) which is what they were called from their inception until the end of OTL WW2 rather than Feldjäger which is what they were called when they were recreated for the Bundeswehr in 1955.

Last edited:
Better yet would be to have Hans have Karl's wife talk to his sister. Kat could start off by saying "Let me introduce you to my attorney, Jack Kennedy" and let it just go from there, woman to woman so to speak.

The Kaiser is going to have to make an Empire wide speech that invokes the spirits of Augustus Lang and the Spring Revolution of 1921 that also emphasizing that the constitution that emerged from that allowed for national self determination and sovereignty also provides for the equal rights of all citizens within the Empire that can not be denied for any reason by the nations and protectorates of the Empire.
The speech should in stark terms set out what the goals and methods that the Polish government is doing and how that is an intolerable threat to everyone in the Empire.
There will be of course the Pro forma offers of a peaceful solution but the longer the crisis continues the less likely that Poland will remain intact.
With Bohemia sending its army it to the fray Slovakia and the Baltics should send forces too and for bonus story points have the German Pacific Islands also send a contingent and for the max story points have them become the German version of the Gurkhas.