What if Eminem never existed?

What would happen if Eminem did not exist, although it could also be if he still existed but is only an obscure figure who didn't rise far. Eminem became one of the most recognizable celebrities worldwide, with very high sales figures. Removing him also directly impacts associates like Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, although they were still making music before meeting him, but D12 wouldn't be formed or if it would it would be obscure. I think in this scenario it is often assumed that there would be less white rappers, however Eminem was not the first white rapper nor the first one to be successful like the Beastie Boys. Could anyone else have done it?

Could anyone else have done it?

I like to think Eminem's place in the culture is a result of tapping into a few different waves of early 00s and late 90s music trends.

Nu metal comes to mind, but to a certain degree also horrorcore rap. That's mixed in with mainstream hip hop too.

Being able to make music that fit the times is what pushed him over the top.

It wasn't just being a good rapper. There were plenty of good white rappers, most of which weren't in the least famous but the barrier for fame has never been talent.

Likewise, being under Dr.Dre gave Eminem a level of access and credibility that might not be easily duplicated.

But if you can find someone *like* him. They could probably do reasonably well. But I don't think a "white rapper" is a niche that necessarily has to be filled.

Eminem made his own place, if he doesn't get picked up, i wouldn't be surprised if there's just a void rather than a substitute for him.

Last edited:
But if you can find someone *like* him. They could probably do reasonably well. But I don't think a "white rapper" is a niche that necessarily has to be filled.

Eminem made his own place, if he doesn't get picked up, i wouldn't be surprised if there's just a void rather than a substitute for him.
Very much this. I suspect there were more than a few white street rappers like him just following the trends and going nowhere. Case in point:

It's only in the late 90s when he creates his own style that he gets the spotlight.

The thing that really elevates Eminem above the rest of the pack is his word speed. Anyone replacing him would need the same rapidity and clarity to turn heads. He is also really funny and not above poking fun at himself. People like a little humility in a genre that can be quite braggadocious.

Last edited:
I think rap as a whole would be less popular if like a previous commentator said, a void instead of a replacement and "I don't think a "white rapper" is a niche that necessarily has to be filled." I haven't seen any threads on it here but on reddit there were a few. I agree with "being under Dr.Dre gave Eminem a level of access and credibility that might not be easily duplicated" as Eminem explained on his song "White America."

" as Eminem explained on his song "White America."
Absolutely.

Eminem was just palatable to a lot more people than would usually be the case for someone in his position.

At the time, the idea of white people rapping was completely associated with sell-outs and pop acts trying to be cool. If you wanted authenticity in music you either went for alternative rock or hip hop that didn't have too wide of crossover. Eminem ended up between both worlds*. That's not easy to do. And certainly not in a sustained fashion.

*I don't think this was on purpose either, but he definitely leaned into it after his first major-label album.

Stan had a Dido sample (that's Trip Hop).
The Way I Am. (An untraditional beat, with a very 90s era style angst)

etc.