WI: N64DD released on March 1998

Deleted member 100251

What if the Nintendo 64DD (an add-on to the N64 that used magnetic disks) was released on March 1998 for Japan like originally planned? Would it be more successful? Could it even see an American release?

Would planned software titles like Super Mario 64 2, Cabbage, multiple Mario Artists, and Earthbound 64 (Mother 3) see the light of day?

How would it affect the N64 over-all?

For me the 64DD should have come in series, is what 64 should have been, I think it might get some support, specially if nintendo goes with Ocarina and Ura Zelda and Zelda Gaiden as the flagship games and the games mentioned plus this little list of proposed games become real... If zelda goes zelda..i can imagine at best 7+ of consoles, at worst a few millions(1-2).

Deleted member 100251

For me the 64DD should have come in series, is what 64 should have been, I think it might get some support, specially if nintendo goes with Ocarina and Ura Zelda and Zelda Gaiden as the flagship games and the games mentioned plus this little list of proposed games become real... If zelda goes zelda..i can imagine at best 7+ of consoles, at worst a few millions(1-2).
I agree. Zelda is definitely going to help.

Deleted member 100251

Would it be possible for Zelda Ura to evolve into its own separate game (just as Zelda Gaiden/MM did?)

Would it be possible for Zelda Ura to evolve into its own separate game (just as Zelda Gaiden/MM did?)
At the end of the day, we don't fully knew what Ura Zelda was(i think was far complex that a mere second quest) i've to be something worth the hype...dunno possible, specially as you need to convice 64 owner to upgrade.
T
Other...Nintendo IIRC was interested in bring Randnet to america with the help of AT&T and AOL, might they tried? will it work? that one might be dreamcast in that regard both sides of pacific and would be something, specially as that year nintendo started the nintendo sports inniciative...so something to think if nintendo will goes full steam ahead with RANDnet?

Deleted member 100251

I think they probably would've. It would be interesting to see what would play out. Figuring RANDnet doesn't get butterflied away, Nintendo might try. I wonder if they would attempt to flesh out an avatar system, similar to the Miis. Mii creator Yamashita Takayuki worked on Mario Artist: Talent Studio (where there was an avatar maker).

I think they probably would've. It would be interesting to see what would play out. Figuring RANDnet doesn't get butterflied away, Nintendo might try. I wonder if they would attempt to flesh out an avatar system, similar to the Miis. Mii creator Yamashita Takayuki worked on Mario Artist: Talent Studio (where there was an avatar maker).
Someone did mention that, as Mario Artist was the proto mii maker of that time, i think they would go those gameboy camera based before evolving more polygonal based?
If Nintendo was interested, their baseball and basketball game might get online game, the same a remake 64DD version of Wave Race and 1080° Snowboarding, i imagine Acclaim Quarterback Club just to start...maybe a 64DD version of Goldeneye?

Deleted member 100251

@Nivek That would certainly be interesting. I would imagine online sports titles and ports of previous N64 games (with more content) would definitely help the system's sales a lot. If Goldeneye was released, I couldn't see it do anything but help the system and the game itself. Perhaps Rare even stays with Nintendo.

@Nivek That would certainly be interesting. I would imagine online sports titles and ports of previous N64 games (with more content) would definitely help the system's sales a lot. If Goldeneye was released, I couldn't see it do anything but help the system and the game itself. Perhaps Rare even stays with Nintendo.
Yeah as rare wanted game linked between vía 64dd with dynamic worlds, Plus all early and upcoming games need to use DD mode for online mode.

More ideas on it?

Deleted member 100251

@Nivek Randnet allowed for online play (as we know) but it also allowed for you to play prerelease game demos. If companies like Rare use it correctly, they can hype up their games even more by using the demos to their advantage. (To help show what the game is like.) Rare could possibly do this with Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Tooie, or Jet Force Gemini. It also makes me wonder if we would see Conker's Bad Fur Day or Twelve Tales: Conker 64. (Maybe the GBC could continue on with the kid-friendly Conker, and N64 with adult Conker)

Something else this POD you want to talk about? maybe we would get DQVII(multi, but at least get it), something more? so far the 64DD IMHO should have been in series with 64 and later games should have been DD only with internet and so on, but something more to talk about this?

Deleted member 100251

I don't know. If DQVII, I think that could help. As for other JRPGs, the magnetic drives are too small too hold FFVII (which would help tremendously as the game was seriously popular at the time) , but who knows. (wasn't one of the Ps1 Resident evils ported to N64?)

I don't know. If DQVII, I think that could help. As for other JRPGs, the magnetic drives are too small too hold FFVII (which would help tremendously as the game was seriously popular at the time) , but who knows. (wasn't one of the Ps1 Resident evils ported to N64?)
I was waiting someone to mentioned that...let me quote myself...

Resident Evil 2 was two CD with FMV in PS1 but was properly ported(even high polygon model for characther and enemies) to the N64 for something called: JPEG Pre-renderd Background Real-Time Decompression. How that work?

OTL PS1 computer was a weak 21mhz agaisnt 66MHZ of OTL N64, meaning the images should be bigger size to avoid overheat the PC, N64 being three time stronger allow to that thus allow Resident Evil 2(a 1GB game against 732 MB of FFVII) to be played in a 32MB cartidge of all thing.

http://josepjroca.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/ahora-que-ya-hace-15-anos/ (here is more info in spanish, sorry so much techical to translated)
Thus easily with a 64MB to be maded, heck anygame pre-rendered can be ported as long is compressed.(Nintendo can do thing with that too and Zelda will not be so delayed)
and Resident Evil cartidge was the same as those disk, meaning we can get pretty easy Resident Evil Director Cut and later on 2 pretty at the same time with PS1. People forgot how powerful the n64 was...

Deleted member 100251

Wow. So it would be possible to port FFVII to the 64DD, if Nintendo loosened their restraints on 3rd-parties.

Deleted member 100251

Ah. So, you would need an earlier POD for FFVII to come out for the 64, or 64DD.

Ah. So, you would need an earlier POD for FFVII to come out for the 64, or 64DD.
Yes, specially as yamauchi was not pleased they badmouth the company(he didn't care about losing exclusivity but insulting the company Hiroshi called his own child...was not good) and maybe if the push the game as 64DD launch game(alongside Zelda), for me better just poach takahashi and start xenogears/xeno franchise in the 64...

Deleted member 100251

Agreed. But, if they get Takashi to leave the company and make Xenogears at Nintendo. What would be the fate of Xenoblade? Would it be incorporated into the main Xeno series or would it be butterflied?

Agreed. But, if they get Takashi to leave the company and make Xenogears at Nintendo. What would be the fate of Xenoblade? Would it be incorporated into the main Xeno series or would it be butterflied?
Xenoblade would either be a gaiden game or one either in the furtherst point of the original Xenogears Six part serial storyline or at the very begin of it(if you've play the game, if not will not explain as 'spoilers'), i think gaiden for gamecube-wii era equivalent(i would imagine for DD At least 2 games before jumping to gamecube)