WI: OJ Simpson Convicted of 1994 Murders

What if OJ Simpson had been convicted of the 1994 murders? How is he different than OTL and is culture as a whole?

I don't know if he would be seen too much differently. He wasn't loved by the public that much anymore despite the not guilty verdict.

Knowing what I know now, it's sort of sad, because I am not so sure anymore that he did it. Nicole Brown Simpson had a drug problem, and her boyfriend may have been a drug dealer himself (the restaurant that he worked at was a haven for drug activity). Plus, the way that they were killed suggests that professionals were probably responsible, not O.J.

The relationship between Black and White America was uncomfortably tense in this period of time. This was the result of long term issues, but was exposed as being as bad as it was and fuel was put on the fire by a number of incidents such as the Rodney King beating and the Simpson trial. In broad terms: White Americans were sure he did it. Black Americans were on his side, believing the police framed him during the investigation (a belief which the defense exploited), were unfairly targeting him due to prejudice, and there were those in the Black community who thought he may be guilty but viewed his being found "not guilty" as a form of justice for the Black Americans unfairly arrested, convicted or otherwise harassed by an unjust system. If OJ is convicted, even though I believe he was guilty, it will serve as a further problem for Black/White relations in the early nineties. I'd argue there would have been riots had he been convicted, which was a serious fear at the time, had already been seen in the wake of Rodney King in 1992, and which LA had prepared it's police for on the day of verdict.

Seeing parts of the recent documentary on OJ, it does not appear like a professional hit at all. There was definitely drug involvement amongst Goldman's friends, but even many of OJ's friends became convinced he did it. Most African American's who may have cheered his acquittal will still not say he was innocent. The LA Race relations after the Rodney King incident, trials and riots really were very difficult then...and seem to be headed that way again unfortunately.
The whole OJ thing broke my heart as I was a kid who came to love football in the mid 70's. OJ was simply awesome as a running back and I doubt we have seen anyone like him since. He was handsome to all and very well spoken. Of course, he had been violent with Nicole and his first wife Marguerite but it did not come to many folks attention until Nicole's death. He had been protected for quite a while.

Plus, the way that they were killed suggests that professionals were probably responsible, not O.J.
that doesn't jive with what the media was saying at the time, which was that it seemed to be a murder carried out by someone really angry, a 'crime of passion'...

Seeing parts of the recent documentary on OJ, it does not appear like a professional hit at all. There was definitely drug involvement amongst Goldman's friends, but even many of OJ's friends became convinced he did it. Most African American's who may have cheered his acquittal will still not say he was innocent. The LA Race relations after the Rodney King incident, trials and riots really were very difficult then...and seem to be headed that way again unfortunately.
The whole OJ thing broke my heart as I was a kid who came to love football in the mid 70's. OJ was simply awesome as a running back and I doubt we have seen anyone like him since. He was handsome to all and very well spoken. Of course, he had been violent with Nicole and his first wife Marguerite but it did not come to many folks attention until Nicole's death. He had been protected for quite a while.

I did watch some of part four (of OJ in America) this morning, and I have also been watching First Take's review of the episodes on You Tube (Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith). In the comments section, there are people talking about how Nicole was a drug whore (allegedly, O.J. caught her having sex with some other man upstairs at their home while the kids were downstairs. Someone made a point that he could have killed her then if he was so obsessed), and about how she wrote Simpson a letter begging him to take her back. If that's true, those facts (and other things they shared) cast doubt on him being guilty.

What would have happened if he was convicted. I don't know. The Dream Legal team did just enough race card/race baiting that there would have been some unrest. How much, I don't know. If they didn't do that at all and Johnny Cochran did not come up with the catchy little rhymes that stuck in everyone's head and it was all too obvious that he was guilty the unrest would have been minimal.

I agree about the likelihood of riots if he is convicted. And that some blacks felt his acquittal, even though he was probably guilty, was a sort of vindication for how the justice system had always screwed over the black community.
As for his guilt or not, how could an innocent OJ have uttered the words, " Please try to think of the real OJ, and not this confused, frightened person"? To me, that said, guilty, guilty, guilty.

Simpson was guilty in my opinion. The DNA in itself being at the crime scene, his vehicle, and throughout the Rockingham Estate proves he was complacent. His hair follicles at the crime scene, his shoes being identified as the bloody prints with dozens of different photographs, and otherwise really condemns it also. The plan to escape, gloves from Bloomingdales purchased for him by Nicole of all places, and otherwise really condemn him well as the culprit.

It's hard to refute him as the killer in this case. Simpson parked the Bronco in the back alley and intended to spy on Nicole perhaps to see if she was seeing anyone because he was still obsessed with her. I don't believe when he was there the intent to kill materialized except as a jealous rage. Nicole called to get her mother's glasses from the Mezzaluna restaurant where they were forgotten. Ron Goldman offered to return them because it was something like a half mile away and I believe his shift was over anyway. Eventually Goldman with the glasses in the envelope which were found at the murder scene buzzes the front gate. Nicole is preparing a candle lit bath at this instant after putting the kids away to sleep. She goes down to answer and does open the gate as this was the case when the crime scene was found. Goldman is met in the front gate. It's at this point, OJ who is hiding in the shadows somewhere becomes enraged probably thinking this is a late night suitor or love interest he doesn't know about. He pulls a knife which I'm not sure why he would have had, holds it against him while in a headlock. Nicole either sits paralyzed and trying to calm OJ or is struggling with him. Goldman resists by force, Simpson becomes enraged and is stabbed multiple times in the stomach and chest. Ron is then thrown against the fence. Nicole may attempt to run into the house and use the phone, but OJ grabs her on the front steps, threatens her with the knife in the same manner while enraged. This time however, he slashes her throat deep enough to the spinal cord. OJ leaves in a panic with the bloody footprints back to the Bronco which was in the alley and heads back to his estate. It's only about a five minute trip from there by car. He sneaks over his own back fence because he is bloody and in strange attire, banging the air conditioner which is heard. He gets rid of the stained clothing and knife, perhaps in luggage he deposits at the airport and leaves in a limo for Los Angeles International Airport to his Chicago flight. The timing and circumstances make sense with him as the killer.

There could be riots in the aftermath. There certainly will be very aggressive protests all of the county at the latest which last months and months. This trial and the media circus wouldn't end with simply the criminal trial in downtown LA. Simpson will get a number of appeals he can make in the prison court which will go through the evidence over and over again. If he's convicted the first time, I don't believe he will be acquitted at a later appellate trial. Evidence in this case is stacked against him overwhelmingly. After some famous prison interviews or books released from here, it's unlikely even then he will ever confess to being the killer of those. He dies in a California state prison with his life term.

"that doesn't jive with what the media was saying at the time, which was that it seemed to be a murder carried out by someone really angry, a 'crime of passion'..."

The media prints or broadcasts everything the prosecutors tell them to.

One longterm effect is that similar celebrities on trial, like Michael Jackson, would not have a blueprint for derailing a certain guilty verdict by turning the trial into a circus.

"that doesn't jive with what the media was saying at the time, which was that it seemed to be a murder carried out by someone really angry, a 'crime of passion'..."

The media prints or broadcasts everything the prosecutors tell them to.
sure. Did anything in the evidence really point to it being a professional hit? Anything specific, any motives for it?
I did watch some of part four (of OJ in America) this morning, and I have also been watching First Take's review of the episodes on You Tube (Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith). In the comments section, there are people talking about how Nicole was a drug whore (allegedly, O.J. caught her having sex with some other man upstairs at their home while the kids were downstairs. Someone made a point that he could have killed her then if he was so obsessed), and about how she wrote Simpson a letter begging him to take her back. If that's true, those facts (and other things they shared) cast doubt on him being guilty.
I don't know if I would rely on Youtube comments as a reliable source for info about a trial...

The photos of both bodies, autopsies, witnesses of the bodies all confirm that it was a rather brutal and messy knife attack. Not a pro job, but very personal and frenzied. If it were a pro job with Goldman as the main target, he would have had few if any defensive wounds. Brown had several wounds to the neck. A pro would have but 1 with a slight woman. OJ or not, it was something personal and not professional. Besides, most drug lord enforcers are using a hand gun at point blank. A knife leave too much evidence and too many chances for the perp to take damage.

Also, would any OJ conviction butterfly any future fame for the Kardashians as their father, Robert Senior, was one of OJ's lawyers?

Kris was already married to Bruce (Caitlyn) Jenner at this time (she was pregnant with Kendall, IIRC) and she and Robert were already divorced.

gaijin

Banned

Pro tip: "people talking in the comments section of YouTube" is not the same as "reliable source".

Actually, the two are inversely related.

Pro tip: "people talking in the comments section of YouTube" is not the same as "reliable source".

Actually, the two are inversely related.

Yeah, a fair amount of the time, but there are a lot of places on the internet like that. No reason to single out You Tube. And, they may make some good points. You can't just believe everything that the media tells you (which is what those YT commenters criticized other people for doing).

Yeah, a fair amount of the time, but there are a lot of places on the internet like that. No reason to single out You Tube. And, they may make some good points. You can't just believe everything that the media tells you (which is what those YT commenters criticized other people for doing).

I feel as though "you can't believe everything the media tells you" isn't a valid argument for believing YouTube comments instead.

For a POD, how about a different detective than Fuhrman gets the case? Ideally one who isn't a psychopathic racist, and will actually be credible in court.