WI Temperence rather than Prohibition happened in the USA both on alcohol and other substances

Where is the policy debate with no prohibitons

• Progressives seek prohibition of alcohol only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conservatives favour prohibition of alcohol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do think that it is possible that had their been a movement to discourage rather than ban alcohol and also the drugs that became illegal.

I think it might have been possible to prevent the penal industrial complex. I think that there would be fewer drug related deaths from currently illegal drugs.

It might also be that JE Hoover might not have become so powerful.

Yet there would still be some deaths from alcohol and otl illegal drugs.

What would be the current policy debate be. I do think that progressives, maybe people like myself, might go for some kind of prohibition

Define temperance that doesn't include prohibition?

Also in the mindset of 20th century politicians in the US, illegalizing drugs and alcohol and fighting crime is considered cheaper and more "small government" than paying for government safety net programs meant to help people with addiction (even though it's not true).

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
That would have been for the better, but the Puritanical thinking ran deep.
Define temperance that doesn't include prohibition?
If the WCTU (Woman's Christian Temperance Union) had realized the futility of preaching a negative. The all-time classic example might be an old-line Baptist preacher going on for fifteen minutes about the evils of card playing. Really? I could have gone all day without thinking of card playing once.

Instead, WCTU and allies hit upon the idea of banning all alcohol advertisement.

And to do this, you’re probably going to have to create the concept of a quasi-legal business. Similar to the old idea of a corporate charter, just going further. So, the books are wide open to gov’t regulators and tax authorities, and thus it’s easy-as-pie to enforce the “no advertisement” law. And plus, the Supreme Court is not going to rule that these businesses have all these rights. If need be, you flatly make alcohol illegal and make exceptions for certain named corporations.

Riain

Banned
Weren't like 33 US states dry on the eve of the national prohibition legislation? The law certainly got massive political support on both sides of politics.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Yet there would still be some deaths from alcohol and otl illegal drugs.

What would be the current policy debate be. I do think that progressives, maybe people like myself, might go for some kind of prohibition
I can see an alliance between progressives concerned about saving lives and religious conservatives, but I don’t think it’s going to carry the day.

Several things would change :

- Organized crime would not become so powerful (and rich) in the 1920s
- the legitimate brewery and alcohol industry wouldn't be completely destroyed
- public health problem caused by bootleg alcohol would not have been as serious as IOTL
- the Federal Law Enforcement offices wouldn't be as powerful or organized as IOTL

Consider this scenario:

1. Congress outlaws whiskey in 1916. No prohibition amendment. Beer and wine limited to 15% alcohol.
2. Roaring twenties proceed with weaker drinks. Congress allows watered down mixed packaged drinks that comply in the 15% rule.
3. Around 1933, congress allows regular whiskey to be sold to licensed bartenders, who will mix and dilute the drinks.
4. In the thirties, marijuana is not federally outlawed, because there is no reactionary response to the repeal of prohibition.
5. At some point, the alcoholic content limit is raised to something like 20%.
6. By 1945, bartenders can sell regular martinis because the ice is counted as a diluent to the full strength liquor.

Given the impact of American law on that of other countries, could the result be a worldwide system more restrictive on alcohol?

Given the impact of American law on that of other countries, could the result be a worldwide system more restrictive on alcohol?
Nah, i Doubt it, prohibition is only know in south America because a lot of USA citizens come here to drink, Cuba and Mexico as examples, if anything Tijuana and Cuidad Juarez would be more popular holidays spots, the same canada.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Several things would change :

- Organized crime would not become so powerful (and rich) in the 1920s
- the legitimate brewery and alcohol industry wouldn't be completely destroyed
- public health problem caused by bootleg alcohol would not have been as serious as IOTL
- the Federal Law Enforcement offices wouldn't be as powerful or organized as IOTL
And we can add to this list, less official corruption. Local police departments all over the nation do not have the increase in corruption which Prohibition caused. And, even though they tried to stay clean, you’ve got to figure federal and state agencies also had a considerable increase in corruption, which in the Temperance-only scenario does not happen.

All the same . . .

Well, three out of four of my grandparents were alcoholics. My father has gone through periods of heavy drinking. I ought to be a damn sight more against alcohol than I am.

So, in favor of Prohibition, on the positive side of the ledger, we should add less destruction of family life. Sure, people can always find a way to get alcohol. But if it is simply more trouble to get it, people do in fact drink less.

Last edited:
So, in favor of Prohibition, on the positive side of the ledger, we should add less destruction of family life. Sure, people can always find a way to get alcohol. But if it is simply more trouble to get it, people do in fact drink less.
Actually, the consumption of alcohol in some areas in us during the prohibition went up. If instead of prohibition you had stricter regulation, you would be far more succesful.