Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

I think they will along with windmills, which is why I made the dutch reference. I think we'd see some gun tech be developed earlier too, along with steel tech. One thing I never understood is why it took almost a hundred years for socket bayonets to be properly used, and I think the Japanese could be an early innovator on that front. Also some Eastern ship tech may get to European hands earlier, and a version of outrigger ships be used by Japanese and eventually European ppl too for their advantages as the Japanese are influenced by boat designs by the Austronesians and Philippinos.
I will definitely address all of this in a future tech-centric chapter lmao.

It looks like internal divisions are heating up once again, and the Oda clan must defend their hegemony. However, I don't think fate will help the rebels.

Hi everyone,

Recently the Turtledove Awards for Early Modern Timeline were disrupted due to an attempt by another author to steal the election through “new accounts”. Therefore, I wanted to share the (poll link here)once again for anyone who would like to cast a ballot for my timeline for the award and just in general towards a clean and fair result regardless of who wins.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Hi everyone,

Recently the Turtledove Awards for Early Modern Timeline were disrupted due to an attempt by another author to steal the election through “new accounts”. Therefore, I wanted to share the (poll link here)once again for anyone who would like to cast a ballot for my timeline for the award and just in general towards a clean and fair result regardless of who wins.

Tf why would someone do something like that, it's such a shitty thing to do.

Hi everyone,

I'm torn between this, A Jaguar's Roar and Cessa o Nevoeiro for my vote (I'm not voting for my own TL, tempting as that may be). I might sit this vote out.

Chapter 57: Furuwatari War Part II - The Hojo’s Opening Offensives

Chapter 57: Furuwatari War Part II - The Hojo’s Opening Offensives

At the cusp of spring, the first full season of battles in the war began, starting with the Battle of Karasugawa (烏川の戦い) at the border of Musashi and Kozuke provinces near the junction of the Karasu River (烏川) and the Kanna River (神流川). There, Hojo Ujinobu’s army of 35,000 met the Takigawa-Mori army of 18,000 led jointly by Takigawa Kazutoshi and Mori Noriyoshi, with the matter’s full force not present due to concerns over an attack from the north or east from other rebel daimyo including the Ashina clan. The 37 year old Noriyoshi led a vanguard of 5,000 men and crossed the Karasu River, setting up an encampment on the greens just south of it. By March 5th, the Hojo army arrived on the battlefield and set up in front of Noriyoshi. Ujinobu led the center of the army, while the left was commanded by Daidouji Shigehisa (大道寺繁久) and the right by the Hojo heir Ujitoshi. The battle began in the mid-morning when the Hojo center charged onto Noriyoshi’s position. However, the latter was well-entrenched and equipped with heavy cannons, inflicting heavy casualties on the Hojo army. Seeing this, Kazutoshi sent the majority of his forces across the river to support Noriyoshi and protect his men’s flanks, leaving only the reserves and the garrison of the nearby Kawai Castle (川井城) with him. Unlike the entrenched Noriyoshi, however, these reinforcements were out in the open and thus proved to be easy pickings for the Hojo wings. Thus, the Oda were routed and Kazutoshi was forced to retreat by mid-afternoon, forced to leave Noriyoshi to his fate. Noriyoshi himself sent many of his retainers and vassals northwards while he and 1,000 men stayed in the now-surrounded position, determined to delay the Hojo advance northwards for as long as possible. He would ultimately die in battle, and over the next few days the victorious Hojo would besiege and capture Kawai Castle. The loss at Karasugawa and the death of one of the two main generals significantly weakened the Oda enough that by the end of the month, Ujinobu had captured the Kozuke capital of Maebashi and its capital from Kazutoshi and the latter moved his headquarters to Numata Castle (沼田城) further north.​

aKE2DKrHXY82d9f2NlSNVBALf0NESZTf3ONebPdKUsdAuHdjuJTEOYJ2RkOst5M3PZINUCBI91i71RuH-EW2EzCv9t8-S6YJ1eENCPaELu-DNlrmTeh6fCAq7BJYB0ELy6piX1c7p-qrU9OVuVU93Oo

Depiction of the frontline of Mori Noriyoshi against the Hojo army​

Very soon, however, the depleted pro-Oda forces in Kozuke would be reinforced by Nobutomo and his army of 40,000, who made camp near Matsuida Castle (松井田城) to the west of Maebashi. Learning of Nobutomo’s arrival, Ujinobu chose to halt his advance and consolidate his gains in the Joshu region (上州) [1], improving upon his defense in Maebashi while ordering the mobilization of more men from Izu and Sagami provinces to march towards his position. Over the next month, neither Nobutomo or Ujinobu embarked upon any major offensives. Instead, smaller engagements were fought in the region between Matsuida and Maebashi Castles. Ujinobu also unsuccessfully besieged Shiroi Castle (白井城), which lay between Maebashi and Numata Castles, around this time. Ultimately, Hojo strength in Kozuke would weaken as the Oda generally held the upper hand throughout a toned down but fierce struggle between the former and latter. As a result, when the army from Azuchi led by Miyoshi Yasutaka entered Kozuke in May, Ujinobu strategically abandoned Maebashi and retreated southwards to Tamamura (玉村), which wasn’t too far from where the recent Battle of Karasugawa had taken place. The Oda converged upon the Hojo abandonment of Maebashi, resulting in Ujinobu now facing a united opposing force outnumbering his own army by more than 2 to 1. The leading rebel wasn’t willing to cede any more progress to Nobutomo without a fight, and he began to set up in anticipation of battle. He believed that his position, with waterways flanking the front, rear, and left of his force would make an entrenchment relatively defensible. Indeed, Nobutomo and his unified army reached Tamamura on May 16th, and the Battle of Tamamura (玉村の戦い) would see the Oda struggle to cross the rivers without encountering showers of arquebus balls, cannonfire, and arrows coming from pre-constructed wooden palisades of the Hojo. However, the Oda army’s left wing under the joint command of Mizuno Katsutoshi (水野勝俊) and Maeda Noriyuki (前田則之) [2] nearly routed the Hojo through its more exposed right side, relatively unprotected beyond raw manpower. Realizing he could not win against tough numerical odds, especially with heavy losses on his side, Ujinobu would be forced to retreat from the battlefield early the next morning before the Oda could prepare to assault the position again. The Hojo retreated back across into Musashi province, ending their invasive venture into Kozuke province.

Meanwhile, another Hojo offensive was taking place against the port of Shimoda, still under the control of the Oda with the support of the Azuchi-attached naval squadron stationed there. Oota Sukemune, commanding the Hojo force of 10,000, would face Shimoda magistrate Hasegawa Hidemasa (長谷川秀昌). Although on paper the Hojo seemed likely to prevail through sheer numbers and predominance over nearby lands, the Oda controlled the seas and thus could readily supply Shimoda. Additionally, the port was itself heavily fortified due to it primarily being a port for the Azuchi navy. Initially, the Hojo were successful in taking over and extracting resources surrounding Shimoda. However, the port itself was protected by an outer moat and multiple cannons on land and additionally surrounded by nearby forests. As a result, any attempts by the Hojo to approach Shimoda carelessly were met with the thunderous booms of cannonfire. Sukemune tried to circumvent this by launching the Hojo navy against the Azuchi naval squadron. Despite being outnumbered on the open seas, however, naval commander Kyogoku Takamichi (京極高通) oversaw a technologically superior fleet and therefore with some difficulty held their own against the Hojo ships. Back on land, Sukemune began to counter more intelligently by transporting and positioning his own artillery while also organizing night raids. Despite these efforts, the Azuchi navy’s ability to keep the city well-provisioned and aid it with extra manpower and munitions in times of need would prolong the siege.​

UFpr4atIeBDVgLjTgledFlq-sAdS97AyzLkiB7R08x6qquL5bdLUmNEVgEilbK_N4LacgzkA8dMsD7glrJHUbxW6rkgYznaKKYuATgXzPjFIrfHyd_dwsC6movC7L4LlAo5OfL0yzx8dNMjYrxioMjc

One of the cannons used by the Oda during the siege of Shimoda​

Hojo forces also took part in the fighting in Shimousa and Shimotsuke provinces, areas either under the control of the Oda or loyalist daimyo. Hojo Nobushige (北条信重)’s army of 5,000 would be assisted by Nasu Sukekage, Oda Toshiharu, and Satomi Toshiteru in invading the territories now controlled by the late Tandai’s second son, Tamemasa (織田為昌). The Kanto cadet branch of the Oda, reeling from the deaths of Toshimasa and Toshihide, had experienced internal turmoil and confusion and were thus still underprepared for external invasions. Fortunately, the Shimotsuke lords led by Utsunomiya Yoshitsuna would provide crucial support and eventually isolate and overwhelm Nasu Sukekage’s forces in northeastern Shimotsuke. Nevertheless, their aid as well as that of the Satake clan would be limited as they would also be tied up further north with the armies of the Ashina and Nihonmatsu clans. With what men he had, however, Oda Tamemasa would be successful in holding on through the spring of 1638, although his coastal territories would be lost to the rebel daimyo.

The Furuwatari War, despite initial hopes among the rebels, proved to be a much steeper fight from the get go. These patterns would also be witnessed in the Oshu region as well as Mikawa province during the same time period.​

[1]: Another name for Kozuke

[2]: ITTL’s Maeda Naoyuki (前田直之)

Last edited:
Based on how I have read it, artillery played a larger role in this war compared to the earlier ones in the Sengoku period, or even the war in Luzon for that matter.

Also, hooray for the Oda navy, I guess?

Last edited:
Despite setbacks the Oda clan is prevailing! Dearh to the Traitors!
What I dislike about this is that this insinuates something of an ideology on part of the Oda chancellery, the armed forces that it directly commandeers, and its allies.

It almost seemed unseemly, as we all know that all people desire in this world is land and more land, and we'll all stop at nothing to get more of it. There's nothing ideological or virtuous about it.

And as far as I am concerned, getting Hōjō Ujinobu's head will give whoever my liege is the land for me to be appoined as a constable of.

So, rather than calling for their death itself - which is worthless on its own - you should say that: whoever will get his head will be rewarded handsomely.

Or, better yet: you will slay him yourself! Of course, after tediously announcing your own name!

Based on how I have read it, artillery played a larger role in this war compared to the earlier ones in the Sengoku period, or even the war in Luzon for that matter.

Also, hooray for the Oda navy, I guess?
Your reading is correct. Japanese adoption of gunpowder weapons was the opposite IOTL and ITTL from Europe as cannon usage increases after the mass adoption of arquebuses, including in large formations. Obviously, military technology and strategy continues to advance and Japan is informed by its experience with the Spanish so cannons are increasingly used, though still not at the same rate as Europe.