Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

If Azuchi spreads out to other cities, it would go towards Kyoto and around Lake Biwa rather than Gifu. I feel like it would be too far anyway.
Azuchi is just too far from even Kyoto to constitute a single, contiguous urban area with it, not to say nothing of ruining all the valuable farmland between the cities in the process.

It can't be helped. As it stands right now, Japan's urban culture and economy is going to be way more polycentric ITTL.

I also made a comparison with Southeastern England earlier in this thread, where the entire region is reasonably covered with commuter rail lines so as to enable daily travel within its cities.

That said, they can develop Gifu as Kinai's second (and Nōbi plain's premiere) port though.

Last edited:
Bruh you watch Taiga

Buddhists are basically neutral in this conflict. It’s been over 50 years since the last of the warrior monks fought the Oda and certain figures like Nobutada have patronized Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines. Nobutomo’s recent expulsion of the Iberian Catholic priesthood doesn’t hurt either.

I’ll have to look more into Nichiren-shu around this time. All I can say about Buddhism is that Jodoshin-shu and Jodo-shu will have less followers because of competition with Christianity and the future syncretic Catholic-Buddhist religion.
Would it? My best understanding of the Pure Land is that it was very much suited to proselytization, or at the very least very populist, just because it focused on the recitation of just the mantra of praising or hailing the Amida Buddha that the common person could understand, over anything like studying sutras or meditation. Although I do wonder what you are going to do with any kind of Catholic-Buddhist religion, just because unless you do something about the Chinese Rites Controversy I don't see how such a religion could be tolerated by the Pope.

That and I don't think Catholicism's organized hierarchy really translates all that well to Shinto Buddhism's as far as I know mostly decentralized existence. Now having toyed with some kind of idea of even just Christian-Shinto syncretism, I think you do a lot of things that fit cleanly, even some elements of Catholicism. You can easily retool some Shinto gods and Buddhist versions of Hindu deities (Bishamonten being one such example.) into Catholic saints, or make Jesus into a Bodhisattva or a Buddha, but translating over an idea of a strict church hierarchy even if it's Catholic-lite Protestantism is where I think it's harder to do.

Considering the whole Reformation and Counter-Reformation, I would say no to both counts, they might be grudgingly seen as technically Christian if Jesus is seen as the son of 'God' but that's it.

Would it? My best understanding of the Pure Land is that it was very much suited to proselytization, or at the very least very populist, just because it focused on the recitation of just the mantra of praising or hailing the Amida Buddha that the common person could understand, over anything like studying sutras or meditation. Although I do wonder what you are going to do with any kind of Catholic-Buddhist religion, just because unless you do something about the Chinese Rites Controversy I don't see how such a religion could be tolerated by the Pope.

That and I don't think Catholicism's organized hierarchy really translates all that well to Shinto Buddhism's as far as I know mostly decentralized existence. Now having toyed with some kind of idea of even just Christian-Shinto syncretism, I think you do a lot of things that fit cleanly, even some elements of Catholicism. You can easily retool some Shinto gods and Buddhist versions of Hindu deities (Bishamonten being one such example.) into Catholic saints, or make Jesus into a Bodhisattva or a Buddha, but translating over an idea of a strict church hierarchy even if it's Catholic-lite Protestantism is where I think it's harder to do.
It’s more of the demographic. Japanese Catholicism and Pure Land Buddhism are religions more geared towards the peasant and lower classes, albeit Catholics are more concentrated in western Japan and the urban centers.

The Catholic-Buddhist religion will be neither and will be its own messianic faith with influences from both and will have its initial adherents from both if that makes sense.
Will Catholic-Buddhist religion be accepted by Vatican and other protestant dominions?
No.

Chapter 56: Furuwatari War Part I - The Great Uprising and the End of Keizan

Chapter 56: Furuwatari War Part I - The Great Uprising and the End of Keizan

The news of Ujinobu’s capture of Kamakura and killing of the Kamakura Tandai and his designated heir would trigger a wave of lords and samurai declaring themselves against Azuchi in the Kanto and Oshu regions, including Onodera Yoshimichi of Dewa Province, Shiba Akikuni and Ashina Morinori of Mutsu Province, and Oda Toshiharu (小田利治) of Hitachi Province. Takeda Nobumichi in Kai Province also rose up in arms, as did Matsudaira Mitsutada and Tadayuki from Okazaki Castle in Mikawa Province. Many others who had been contacted and held some sympathy, however, waited out, and ultimately the news from Gifu dissuaded many from joining the rebellion. Among these lords were Sakuma Moritora who supposedly ordered all letters from Keizan and Ujinobu to be burned and any evidence of his dissatisfaction towards Azuchi to be completely covered up, opting instead to raise an army against the rebels. In one specific case, Tsugaru Nobuyoshi (津軽信義), who had just risen up in arms, reversed course immediately upon hearing of Furuwatari Nobuhira’s defeat in Gifu and switched back to the Oda fold. Ultimately, this sudden reverse of betrayal would not save him as he would eventually be pressured to commit seppuku and allow his younger brother Nobuhide (津軽信英) to succeed as head of the Tsugaru clan. The betrayal would also deprive the rebels of a powerful ally in the Oshu region.​

oVLSQ8OxPQbPA-xyqvRwctCaEZIfujKMpfYm2NVQvEsc0vPT14P9Gm2grrp91xAaAB9TAJwJkNDrZPN-6dcKbu3agtXEOtwHjvm6_0SSFznm09JdY0ivfd8eNH1jBgIdC7DmimjQH6g56F7DzRwtHEg

Salmon=Loyalists, Maroon=Rebel lands, Orange=Tsugaru clan​

As news of the spreading rebellion poured into Gifu, Nobutomo was preparing to lead an army directly into Owari towards Furuwatari Castle, where Keizan and Nobuhira had fled, composed of his army from Azuchi and reinforcements from across Mino province. He also made preparations to crush the larger rebellion to the east, ordering daimyo from the Hokuriku and Chubu regions to raise men and gather at Gifu. As his youngest brother Tomoaki was overseas as the head of an embassy to Paris [1], he would assign Oda Kanetada (織田包忠) of Iga Province [2] to Gifu to guard Nobutomo’s young heir and oversee the gathering of forces in Gifu. Meanwhile, Miyoshi Yasutaka would oversee the gathering of men from across western and central Japan at Azuchi for an army to assist Nobutomo’s efforts.

With those plans in place, Nobutomo left Gifu at the head of an army of 13,000 in early January 1638. Despite January being outside the traditional campaigning season, the daijo-daijin was eager to crush Saito Yoshioki’s son and the usurper he backed as soon as possible. The latter two had retreated near the castle and were desperately attempting to recruit peasants as ashigaru and attract disgruntled ronin and local lords, as they had lost 3,000 out of the original 5,000 to desertion, disease, and combat. However, nearly all the other samurai in Owari Province remained loyal to Nobutomo. Only Nobuhira’s son Nobunao (古渡信直), who had stayed behind to head the 500-strong garrison of Furuwatari Castle, provided any meaningful support to the ailing field army through supplies and shelter. This didn’t prevent Nobutomo from intercepting the rebels on January 20th at the Battle of Chigusa (千種の戦い), where the Oda army easily overwhelmed Keizan and Nobuhira’s men. Nobuhira died in the fighting, with Keizan and the survivors fleeing back to the castle. The castle held out a week before the garrison turned on Keizan and killed him, surrendering to Nobutomo with the instigator’s head as an offering. Although Nobunao would be forced to commit seppuku, his retainers would be spared.​

HtgH8QV-ptpsWZh4cCmzZzCnWE15tRwrEICargamEVhw3R76Uxo56SddXMqp53up049QTXVTABPUEj7eXV1IqN3wuRfroC7VNaQ0BRHYBk8Kkzqe5dD2I8GIWfoauhJSBL4cggul-xo78jXeRa0qqCo

Site of the now-demolished Furuwatari Castle​

From there, Nobutomo would leave matters at Furuwatari to Murai Sadamasa, who was left with 5,000 men from the Oda army and instructed to strike at Matsudaira Mitsutada and Tadayuki, who had begun to march eastwards towards Suruga Province, from behind and assist the Tokugawa Tadayasu in his efforts to crush his rebellious cousin. Back in Gifu, although heavy snowfall delayed the arrival of contingents from the Hokuriku region, an army of 40,000 had gathered by mid-March. The army planned on charting a course through Mino and Shinano provinces before reaching Kozuke province and reinforcing the forces of Mori Noriyoshi and Takigawa Kazutoshi, who were mobilizing rapidly in anticipation of an invasion from Hojo Ujinobu. Kozuke was also an ideal location for the daijo-daijin to send orders to the daimyo in the northern Kanto region and Echigo province. In Azuchi, Yasutaka and Takanaga would also raise a similarly sized army and depart in the early spring as well. Among those participating was the Imperial Regent and Nobutomo’s younger brother, Konoe Tomoshige, who would be accompanied by many younger sons of imperial nobility in service as cavalry. The army in Azuchi would depart shortly after Nobutomo did so from Gifu, with Kitabatake Takanaga [3] in charge of the defenses of Azuchi and Kyoto in the absence of both the daijo-daijin and the imperial regent.

Nobutomo would need all the men he could deploy against the rebellious daimyo for the latter were no pushovers. As the de facto hegemon of the Kanto region, Hojo Ujinobu could mobilize tens of thousands of men on his own with relative ease and did so throughout the winter months of late 1637 and early 1638. Not even news of the deaths of Keizan and Furuwatari Nobuhira slowed his efforts, as he was confident that his numerical strength, distance from Azuchi, and various allies in the Kanto and Oshu regions could win and gain some sort of independence from the Oda clan. Additionally, he had little to worry about on his western flank for the time being, for his allies in Mikawa and Kai provinces would largely preoccupy the energies of the Tokugawa clan, although his cousin Oota Nobufusa (太田信房) would hold down Odawara Castle for him with a sizeable garrison in case of an unexpected attack from Sunpu. By late February, the Hojo had gathered an army of 50,000 and prepared to make their move. 35,000, led by Ujinobu himself and his eldest son Ujitoshi (北条氏利) planned a march directly upon Kozuke province to drive out their traditional rivals, the Takigawa clan. A second division, led by Oota Sukemune, would be directed towards Shimoda, a heavily fortified port home to a squadron of the Azuchi navy headquartered there. The remaining 5,000 would assist efforts by pro-Hojo daimyo in fighting pro-Oda daimyo in Shimotsuke province as well as conquering Oda territories in Shimousa province. To the north, allied daimyo would also raise tens of thousands of men combined, resulting in the total strength of the rebel daimyo surpassing 100,000 men. Without the presence of armies from Azuchi and Gifu, pro-Azuchi daimyo and armies were largely on their own.

However, the loyalists in Oshu would quickly prove their might early on in the war. The Ashina and Nihonmatsu clans coordinated their raising of arms and planned a swift campaign meant to catch their historical rivals and one of the pro-Azuchi daimyo in the region, the Date now under the leadership of Date Norimune (伊達則宗) [4], by surprise with a combined army of 15,000. Unfortunately for them, fierce snowstorms slowed their incursion into Date territory, allowing Norimune to mobilize a sizable force quickly. In late January 1638, he attacked the Ashina-Nihonmatsu camp at the bottom of Sumomoyama (李山), a short distance away from the main Date castle of Yonezawa Castle (米沢城), with a numerically inferior force of 10,000. Despite stiff resistance and freezing conditions, Norimune successfully drove his foes out of the camp and a lack of supplies amidst the punishing weather forced the Ashina-Nihonmatsu out of Date territory completely. Their plan had been foiled and they would have to wait out the winter before they could attempt another campaign north. The Date victory meanwhile bought more time to prepare against the rebels before a more favorable outcome came about. Seasonal changes in general would commence a bloody period of campaigns and battles between two diverging visions of Japan: one more feudal and inward-looking, and another more centralized and cosmopolitan.​

DndlKrxexNsPJOebRMtKVPLHMRjDsX63c4EnXvuRzUJFV-GVnHQODw5SgkrFb_Skq_4hPGUvbcT07LayCfQ5xAo_7zICXK7lKJmD-wj_JfCiJu-qSh3pEcTXIgoXnhBfjheYf4CN4R6-E91lQB5pHSo

Portrait of Date Norimune​

[1]: We will definitely get to this in a future chapter.

[2]: ITTL’s Oda Naomasa (織田直政), grandson of Oda Nobukane and head of the Nobukane cadet branch of the Oda clan

[3]: ITTL’s Oda Takanaga (織田高長), Kitabatake Norioki’s third son

[4]: ITTL’s Date Tadamune (伊達忠宗)

Last edited:
Seeing oda loyalists and the oda army winning the early battles is very good! Hopefully the war would be swift and Japan can focus on centralisation and colonisation, especially in the SEA and eventually the Kurils!

In spite of the Oda Chancellery obviously maintaining power as the ascendant force in this war, would their program for modernisation and centralisation (alongside the nasty, oh nasty national taxation and even the outright abolishment of han privileges) invoke the authority of the Emperor and even the ostensible restoration of actual imperial power?

Anyways, as for the engineering side of this story, I had some ideas on how it would proceed:
  • hydromechanical power from rivers; obviously enough since it's also plentiful in this country as mountainous as this.
  • wind power; schematics of such windmills can also be imported quite easily from the Dutch
  • the hastening of advancement of agricultural technology, like the introduction of the Archimedes screw earlier than 1618
I believe that those three are the low-hanging fruits that can be easily done.

Will it even be worthwhile to forcibly import more advanced capital goods and its fabrication to the Home Islands beyond the essential arsenals? I somehow doubt it, considering that the region had never been metal-rich, and they already have done amazing things so far just with their wooden carpentry. It will prove to the their limit to industrialisation, and by then they'll handily lose their competitive advantage to Korea, Bireitou, and Luzon province.

Well, at least they actually own the Aparri iron sand deposits. That's one thing actually going for them.

Last edited:
Anyways, as for the engineering side of this story, I had some ideas on how it would proceed:
  • hydromechanical power from rivers; obviously enough since it's also plentiful in this country as mountainous as this.
  • wind power; schematics of such windmills can also be imported quite easily from the Dutch
  • the hastening of advancement of agricultural technology, like the introduction of the Archimedes screw earlier than 1618
Japan with a bunch of wind and water mills along the edges of the villages isn't something I envisioned but now that you've mentioned it is a very cool image of how different ittl Japan is. Imagine the Europeans conflating the Japanese windmills with Dutch windmills for example.
Will it even be worthwhile to forcibly import more advanced capital goods and its fabrication to the Home Islands' beyond the essential arsenals? I somehow doubt it, considering that the region had never been metal-rich, and they had already amazing things so far just with their wooden carpentry. It will prove to the their limit to industrialisation, and by then they'll handily lose their competitive advantage to Korea, Bireitou, and Luzon province.

Well, at least they actually own the Aparri iron sand deposits. That's one going for them.
Tbf one of if not the main reason Japan did colonization is that the home islands was quite barren. I could see Japan using economic coercion to ship refined steel to Japan from their overses territories.

And so ends the Saito family bloodline and now to rid of those who would wants to destroy a united Japan.

I agree that it can easily done since they are allowing other European powers, or at least non-Iberian and Hapsburg nation, which would increase Japan's technology.

Japan with a bunch of wind and water mills along the edges of the villages isn't something I envisioned but now that you've mentioned it is a very cool image of how different ittl Japan is. Imagine the Europeans conflating the Japanese windmills with Dutch windmills for example.
Tbf, the country already had quite a number of it, especially by late 18th century.
Tbf one of if not the main reason Japan did colonization is that the home islands was quite barren. I could see Japan using economic coercion to ship refined steel to Japan from their overses territories.
This is an important distinction, especially in these times where dedicated colliers and more reliable bulk shipping are still not too widespread, especially in this region.

It still meant blast furnaces being built directly in Aparri.

Also, I made a distinction with arsenals because – as far as the Oda Chancellery is concerned – making for a cheaper military production is the ultimate end of the steel industry. This is quite distinct to its capitalistic motivations in OTL Britain and Western Europe where its production was done for its own sake for the reasons of profit gains in production efficiency gains, as well as ridiculously cheap steel that they have made the entire industry to have an appetite for.

Well, of course: cheap steel make for good industry, ain't it? Which brings me to the second point:

Japan has a very good tradition in carpentry that it had largely persisted and even developed in spite of the initial deforestation and eventual regulations by the Tokugawa Shogunate IOTL. Not only it lended itself for stuff like ridiculously solid temples and light-timber housing, but also for those water wheels constructed in the late 18th century (many of which are still functional to this very day, mind you).

With that being the case, they can still very much leverage wood for a long time until the forests' eventual depletion and regulation. And even then, the government can still refuse to sell steel at cheaper prices even going through the pains of their wood shortage, which will make their carpentry industry develop largely the same, efficient way it did IOTL.

With these, I can easily imagine industrial carpentry being that industry's fourth tradition, after temples, houses, and ornaments. It will also lend to a culture of temperance, as opposed to overconsumption that characterised western economies IOTL; they'll know for sure that whatever they do will serve a net benefit to the community and their environment, as opposed to being so greedy and shortsighted with their profits.

Well, besides the government arsenals and ironclads, that is.

That said - the chancellery is also likely to take the certainly easier way out by making Japanese forests go the way of their eradicated English counterparts (obliterating OTL silviculture), and going all the way in capitalising their steel reserves so as to forever ruin Japanese carpentry; all done to 0wn competing Korean and Chinese heavy industries. :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
In spite of the Oda Chancellery obviously maintaining power as the ascendant force in this war, would their program for modernisation and centralisation (alongside the nasty, oh nasty national taxation and even the outright abolishment of han privileges) invoke the authority of the Emperor and even the ostensible restoration of actual imperial power?

Will it even be worthwhile to forcibly import more advanced capital goods and its fabrication to the Home Islands' beyond the essential arsenals? I somehow doubt it, considering that the region had never been metal-rich, and they already have done amazing things so far just with their wooden carpentry. It will prove to the their limit to industrialisation, and by then they'll handily lose their competitive advantage to Korea, Bireitou, and Luzon province.

Well, at least they actually own the Aparri iron sand deposits. That's one thing actually going for them.
Technological progress and industrialization is definitely one thing I haven’t thought about too much just yet, although tbf a lot of that is still far off.
Is it just me or are there constant comparisons being made between the Netherlands and Japan and they just also happen to be close diplomatically at the moment?

Is it just me or are there constant comparisons being made between the Netherlands and Japan and they just also happen to be close diplomatically at the moment?
Well since Japan and Netherlands/Dutch share a distrust/dislike the Iberian nation and (somewhat) helped each other, which wouldn't be that hard to see them actually staying friendly, which may continue as time goes on.

You can easily retool some Shinto gods and Buddhist versions of Hindu deities (Bishamonten being one such example.) into Catholic saints, or make Jesus into a Bodhisattva or a Buddha, but translating over an idea of a strict church hierarchy even if it's Catholic-lite Protestantism is where I think it's harder to do.
In modern Buddhism, Jesus is at best considered someone that will one day become a Bodhisattva because Buddhism and Christianity teach sufficiently different things that Jesus cannot be considered to have seen the truth of the universe as Bodhisattvas have.

Unless if there is another category of powerful supernatural compassionate beings, closer to the reality of the universe, he'll probably be seen as a god on the path to becoming a Bodhisattva. Maybe the whole thing of also being human will be seen as his own possibly faster path to achieving enlightenment but in (Mahayana only?) Buddhist fashion will take thousands of years to accomplish.

Buddhism tho, seems to have been several times seen by Christians as a sound moral-philosophical system. There's an early Christian that out right says that and later Christians that converted him into a Haleographic saint. So the actual Buddha can at least be considered on the level of someone like Aristotle or Socrates if there isn't sufficient hostility between the religions
It’s more of the demographic. Japanese Catholicism and Pure Land Buddhism are religions more geared towards the peasant and lower classes, albeit Catholics are more concentrated in western Japan and the urban centers.

The Catholic-Buddhist religion will be neither and will be its own messianic faith with influences from both and will have its initial adherents from both if that makes sense.
If I am getting this right, there won't really be a distinct Catholic-Buddhist religion, just that the populous will engage in practices of both without much resistance from the Japanese Catholic Priests right? Like they did with Shintoism and Buddhism before right?.

Because I don't think a new Syncretized Religion actually jives well with the histories of Buddhism and Christianity.

Last edited:
Technological progress and industrialization is definitely one thing I haven’t thought about too much just yet, although tbf a lot of that is still far off.

Considering the Dutch are one of the three nations that got to Japan first and the only one who still has good relations with Japan I think in the Europeans' mind they'd be compared to the Dutch the most.

Hello,

So once the rebellions are put down in Japan, does this mean that the Oda government must start looking at and implementing reforms in the immediate future?

Also, have some Japanese started to make a few technological innovations either based on independent experimentation or from books and samples brought from Europe?

In modern Buddhism, Jesus is at best considered someone that will one day become a Bodhisattva because Buddhism and Christianity teach sufficiently different things that Jesus cannot be considered to have seen the truth of the universe as Bodhisattvas have.

Unless if there is another category of powerful supernatural compassionate beings, closer to the reality of the universe, he'll probably be seen as a god on the path to becoming a Bodhisattva. Maybe the whole thing of also being human will be seen as his own possibly faster path to achieving enlightenment but in Buddhist fashion will take thousands of years to accomplish.

Buddhism tho, seems to have been several times seen by Christians as a sound moral system. There's an early Christian that out right says that and later Christians that converted him into a Haleographic saint. So the actual Buddha can at least be considered on the level of someone like Aristotle or Socrates if there isn't sufficient hostility between the religions

If I am getting this right, there won't really be a distinct Catholic-Buddhist religion, just that the populous will engage in practices of both without much resistance from the Japanese Catholic Priests right? Like they did with Shintoism and Buddhism before right?.

Because I don't think a new Syncretized Religion actually jives well with the histories of Buddhism and Christianity.
There will be a distinct messianic faith taking influences from both Pure Land Buddhism and Christianity with some overlaps but it’ll also have its own histories and beliefs through its core prophetic figures.
Hello,

So once the rebellions are put down in Japan, does this mean that the Oda government must start looking at and implementing reforms in the immediate future?

Also, have some Japanese started to make a few technological innovations either based on independent experimentation or from books and samples brought from Europe?
Possibly and yes. Will be elaborated in future chapters.

Won't the water wheels come much sooner than OTL due to the more intense capitalisation of the economy by the Oda Chancellery and its merchants?
I think they will along with windmills, which is why I made the dutch reference. I think we'd see some gun tech be developed earlier too, along with steel tech. One thing I never understood is why it took almost a hundred years for socket bayonets to be properly used, and I think the Japanese could be an early innovator on that front. Also some Eastern ship tech may get to European hands earlier, and a version of outrigger ships be used by Japanese and eventually European ppl too for their advantages as the Japanese are influenced by boat designs by the Austronesians and Philippinos.