Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Yeah I agree, the Kanto plain would always be the centre of conservatism as power in Japan stays in Osaka plain or shifts south and westwards. It'd be a balance of interests between the two factions that makes Japan Japan ittl I think.
It'll get cosmopolitan real fast when the capital gets moved there for some reason. That said - as the latest chapter indicate - it does seem that the Oda Chancellery will still seat pretty in Azuchi for the foreseeable future, and they will still refuse to apply taxation beyond scutage to non-Oda domains.

Hi everyone,

Longtime readers may know that for battles I often use battle formation graphics and that the ones made in the beginning are certainly of lesser quality than the ones that come out now. Therefore, I went back and redid the graphics for 3 of them specifically from Nobunaga's unification of the realm. Shortly after this, I'll be going back and replacing the old ones with the new ones but I just wanted to share them here.

In terms of retconning, at this point there won't be any major changes but for example I added a few more details to those battle descriptions. Anyway check them out.
Tr2Ht1bSArhVS9ApwxVt4SEiu0ccEfR0jLgtJfD3HdzDZFIGJrkr9jyfejG6-UlyDjUiEMhTf4uaG7a_GaEC2OK2XWYMGdbpiQpWS_ZQk2aunnLDOWme5ULdJpgleyptgGpKSei9pRQ7_zS9RBFXgQs

Battle of Kawashima (Chapter 4)

LAe0A64eY3EtEt761iGuN6A1JTfbZj-oNXkqR6fRKj3wTkFViUL_qMH5TXIV3htpmGrI2O0HB5DitXr7ga3BGZdeW5g4OzLMDf5QWL5BYkWfi-gUb107Y6EkCdf-3vAcaPll5i1S1s7I153EwKklRv4

Battle of Takagahara (Chapter 6)

h2gv1892Yw5x2SmEAYSp2ZKF_eK859nNAdsv_mjsCpeNgX0cN39cszzD3K85BI5hHWk-eTtkBwY2bBLANjO8wVDelTtqD5uIuY2HHLTbXx0-W1eqA6explSgTyknnk_iLGzhxiwNda_d34x5-RDMIVw

Battle of Yamazaki (Chapter 7)​

Just the first half? I already finished it (in 480p, unfortunately) on kissasian.pe!
Bruh you watch Taiga too? BASED.
How Buddhists are reacting? Any effect of more active japan on nichiren buddhism? They are most missionary focused among Buddhists. Will we some sorta proto sokka gokai organization.
Buddhists are basically neutral in this conflict. It’s been over 50 years since the last of the warrior monks fought the Oda and certain figures like Nobutada have patronized Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines. Nobutomo’s recent expulsion of the Iberian Catholic priesthood doesn’t hurt either.

I’ll have to look more into Nichiren-shu around this time. All I can say about Buddhism is that Jodoshin-shu and Jodo-shu will have less followers because of competition with Christianity and the future syncretic Catholic-Buddhist religion.

Last edited:
Bruh you watch Taiga
I'm a lazy media consumer, so it's just that one that I've finished; I'm a sucker for tragedies, if I'm not reading select manga where my choices are more varied. And so, I've recently finished watching Requiem for a Dream with my grandmother.

Maybe, I'll finish Aoi Tokugawa Sandai next (unfortunately, still on 480p).

Last edited:
Hi everyone, the Turtledove Polls for Best Early Modern Timeline are now open, so feel free to make your voice heard if you think this TL and/or another one (you can vote for multiple ones) deserves the honor.
I'm a lazy media consumer, so it's just that one that I've finished; I'm a sucker for tragedies, if I'm not reading select manga where my choices are more varied. And so, I've recently finished watching Requiem for a Dream with my grandmother.

Maybe, I'll finish Aoi Tokugawa Sandai next (unfortunately, still on 480p).
I've been watching all the current Taiga Dramas since I was 10, starting with Tenchijin (天地人) and have a bunch of the past ones as well, including Hojo Tokimune (北条時宗), Taiheiki, and Yoshitsune (義経). Cool to see someone else watch them.

I've been watching all the current Taiga Dramas since I was 10, starting with Tenchijin (天地人) and have a bunch of the past ones as well, including Hojo Tokimune (北条時宗), Taiheiki, and Yoshitsune (義経). Cool to see someone else watch them.
Some are surely more cynical than the others, and a lot of people at their YT comment sections do decry the "appropriation to present-day sensibilities" of the more recent ones.

Beyond Taiheiki, I still don't know much about it. However, I certainly do know about the existence of this genre - and yeah - so far, so good.

(That said – I am more interested with the history of land ownership in Japan.)

Last edited:
Some are surely more cynical than the others, and a lot of people at YT section do decry the "appropriation to present-day sensibilities" of the more recent ones.

Beyond Taiheiki, I still don't know much about it. However, I certainly do know about the existence of this genre, and yeah - so far, so good.

(That said – I am more interested with the history of land ownership in Japan.)
Tbf modern day Taiga dramas definitely have elements of J-dramas but 1. that's not to say past Taiga shows didn't have of older shows, and 2. as long as it doesn't affect the presentation and story too much I'm fine with it. Gunshi Kanbee from 2014 in particular not only inspired the interpretation of Oda Nobunaga as an individual used for this timeline but also served as a direct inspiration to the POD.

Some are surely more cynical than the others, and a lot of people at YT section do decry the "appropriation to present-day sensibilities" of the more recent ones.
I'm afraid this is a problem of historical pictures and shows as such. Take, for example, The King, where the young Henry of Monmouth is shown as a pacifist. Not only does this not correspond to his character, it also contradicts the very spirit of the times - where the entire aristocracy is essentially a stratum of professional warriors whose life revolves around military craft. In any case, I hope that the Japanese, unlike the garbage men from Netflix, are not obsessed with dirt and have beautiful costumes.

I finally caught up. It seems that rebel forces wouldn't likely beat Oda Chancellery, so I'm curious how would Kanto would evolve after this war. Without Tokugawa Shogunate's rule, this is not the same Kanto as OTL. It would have more swamps, for example.

It also seems that many descendants of Oda clan coming up, and I feel very difficult to remember all of them. If Ambassador Huntsman don't mind, I would like to see a Oda clan's family tree for TTL.

It would have more swamps, for example.
For one, Kamakura is way more exposed to the Pacific Ocean than Edo ever is, and its much less central location to boot will lend to difficulties in establishing and connecting suburbs, perhaps necessitating the establishment of a second city centre.

Kamakura seemingly stagnating compared to Sakai and the rest of the west also contributed to the reduction of demand for its urban expansion; who knows, it may still be a small enough at this point of the timeline that it can still be feasible for not!Edo to steal its glory as the region's premiere city.

*looks at the map*

Bruh.

It's also surrounded by cliffs and mountains.

Last edited:
For one, Kamakura is way more exposed to the Pacific Ocean than Edo ever is, and its much less central location to boot will lend to difficulties in establishing and connecting suburbs, perhaps necessitating the establishment of a second city centre.

Kamakura seemingly stagnating compared to Sakai and the rest of the west also contributed to the reduction of demand for its urban expansion; who knows, it may still be a small enough at this point of the timeline that it can still be feasible for not!Edo to steal its glory as the region's premiere city.

*looking at the map

Bruh.

It's also surrrounded by cliffs and mountains.
Yep I do think Kanto could really be different than otl as Japan has beiritou and the rest of SEA to pull from unlike otl. The Kanto plain could still be a very strong region (and the swamps should be eventually cleared for farming) but that doesn't mean Sakai and it's associated cities won't be the centre of the country.

*looks at the map*

Bruh.

It's also surrounded by cliffs and mountains.
I think that is a problem regarding Kamakura ITTL. The capacity for land would be too small to become a center of entire Kanto region due to many demands for urban expansion, especially if Oda Chancellery want to control Kanto directly. Of course, similar to how OTL mount Kanda was demolished and used to reclaim the Edo bay, these mountains could demolished, but that would be very costly.

Considering about Pacific exposure, somewhere around Miura peninsular might be more feasible, like Uraga where Spanish ships arrived early time in Edo period OTL(But there are still mountainous, though).

Considering about Pacific exposure, somewhere around Miura peninsular might be more feasible, like Uraga where Spanish ships arrived early time in Edo period OTL(But there are still mountainous, though).
This debacle should make Azuchi hope that there was a castle along Edo bay that was owned by rebels. Kamakura alone won't cut it anymore in these days and age, even if you consider Uraga.

This debacle should make Azuchi hope that there was a castle along Edo bay that was owned by rebels. Kamakura alone won't cut it anymore in these days and age, even if you consider Uraga.
they prob move the main administrative city to edo at some point, there's no way around it. It'd be funny that ittl the Osaka dialect is the formal and serious dialect, while the Kanto dialect could be seen as a dialect of farmers and less well-off folk.

I finally caught up. It seems that rebel forces wouldn't likely beat Oda Chancellery, so I'm curious how would Kanto would evolve after this war. Without Tokugawa Shogunate's rule, this is not the same Kanto as OTL. It would have more swamps, for example.

It also seems that many descendants of Oda clan coming up, and I feel very difficult to remember all of them. If Ambassador Huntsman don't mind, I would like to see a Oda clan's family tree for TTL.
I'll definitely do an extensive update on the greater Oda clan and its cadet branches in the future.
they prob move the main administrative city to edo at some point, there's no way around it. It'd be funny that ittl the Osaka dialect is the formal and serious dialect, while the Kanto dialect could be seen as a dialect of farmers and less well-off folk.
The evolution of the Japanese language will also take heavy influences from the local Gifu-Owari dialects due to the greater importance of Mino and Owari provinces and the fact that the Oda heir actually grows up as the titular lord of Gifu Castle. Not to mention the daijo-daijins of the early 17th century still heavily frequent those two provinces (and other areas) in stark contrast to the Tokugawa shoguns, who spend so much time in Edo IOTL.

The evolution of the Japanese language will also take heavy influences from the local Gifu-Owari dialects due to the greater importance of Mino and Owari provinces and the fact that the Oda heir actually grows up as the titular lord of Gifu Castle. Not to mention the daijo-daijins of the early 17th century still heavily frequent those two provinces (and other areas) in stark contrast to the Tokugawa shoguns, who spend so much time in Edo IOTL.
That makes sense, especially when Azuchi would become more and more cosmopolitan. Would azuchi eventually stretch to Gifu and start influencing the language there too?

That makes sense, especially when Azuchi would become more and more cosmopolitan. Would azuchi eventually stretch to Gifu and start influencing the language there too?
If Azuchi spreads out to other cities, it would go towards Kyoto and around Lake Biwa rather than Gifu. I feel like it would be too far anyway.