Shuffling the Canon REDUX: A Shuffled Disney & Pixar TL Redone

As it turns out, I had some extra time to finish the 1941a film, so it'll be coming tomorrow.

Anyways, I have already started doing some research for the 1941b film as well as 1942, considering both films would be a challenge to adapt and would be vastly different from their OTL counterparts. So it might take a while depending on my progress.

As it turns out, I had some extra time to finish the 1941a film, so it'll be coming tomorrow.

Anyways, I have already started doing some research for the 1941b film as well as 1942, considering both films would be a challenge to adapt and would be vastly different from their OTL counterparts. So it might take a while depending on my progress.
Hooray. I’m sure both films from 1941 and 1942 will be good.

The Emperor's New Groove (1941)
"Walt Disney to release film based around studio lot later this year" -New York Times, January 3rd 1941

---

Taken from an interview with Walt Disney, 1959

Interview: Well Mr Disney, congratulations on finally releasing Fantasia!

Walt Disney: Yea it was a lot of hard work you know, going through World War 2 and the animator's strike. At one point I even considered shutting down production! I recall we were making an anthology films of some sorts to keep us afloat during that time period until we returned with Snow White.

Interview: Oh yes I remember. You started of with the Emperor's New Groove, right?

Walt Disney: Well not really, our first proper package film released in 1943, the Emperor's New Groove was more or less made to combat the animator's strike. We called it the Emperor's New Groove to attract audiences, and we also had two big stars at the time, Bing Crosby and Charlie Chaplin star in the movie. We actually wanted to do the Emperor’s New Clothes as a Silly Symphony short back in the 1930s, but that never happened and instead we have “The Emperor’s New Groove” today with Mickey Mouse.

Interview: Ah interesting, so what was the first package film...

---

"The Emperor's New Groove" was a animated anthology film, essentially a tour around the then new Walt Disney Studio lot, ending with the titular aniamted segment.

To promote the film, the duo of Bing Crosby and Charlie Chaplin (whom Disney had used as inspiration for creating Mickey Mouse in the 20s) was brought in to star as visitors of the studio lot. The first part of the film would revolve around the duo exploring with a studio employee Doris (played by Frances Gillford). Crosby and Chaplin, led by Doris, encounter the Nine Old Men who would explain the daily routines at the studio, including animating characters, the multiplane camera an the process of Technicolor. It's at this moment when the film turns from black and white to full color (ala the Wizard of Oz). Little John from "Robin Hood" and Jiminy Cricket from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" appear on the animation cels to explain how everything works. Crosby and Chaplin meet with Walt Disney himself, who shows the duo his latest featurette: The Emperor’s New Groove

The second segment, also the most famous and iconic segment in the film, is the Emperor's New Groove. A re-telling of the Hans Christian Andersen tale "The Emperor's New Clothes" starring Mickey Mouse. The tyrannical emperor Pete rules over the kingdom, three talented tailors, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy have had enough of Pete's shenanigans and decide to humiliate him with a trick. The trio presents themselves to Pete, they promise to weave him the most stylish and luxurious clothing. Every day, Pete would parade on the streets wearing the wackiest clothes possible, the peasants (including cameos from Clara Cluck, Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow) all find this funny but do not dare laugh. Finally, Mickey, Donald and Goofy convince Pete to "wear" a suit that appears invisible to those who are foolish and incompetent. Pete parades on the street with nothing but his underwear. A child finally points out that Pete has nothing but underwear on, and the public laughs and humiliates Pete, who flees from the kingdom in embarassment, vowing revenge on Mickey, Donald and Goofy.

After watching the featurette, Crosby and Chaplin are prepared to leave, with Chaplin feeling a bit sorry for Pete. Suddenly, Pete appears on the rootop, asking if anybody has seen "a teensy weensy little mouse", Crosby faints in fear while Chaplin explains to Pete that he is merely a figment of his imagination.

The film would not be a commercial success, mostly due to the fact that it wasn't a traditional Disney film like the three film before it. There was also the devastating strike, one which would be known as the "1941 Disney Animator's Strike". Many talented artists such as Art Babbit, Bill Melendez and Bill Tytla left the Disney Studio after the strike and would never return. Sadly, the film wouldn't even make it to the WDAC line-up, even though the titular Mickey Mouse segment would become as iconic as the mouse himself.

Release Date: June 20th 1941

Cast:
Bing Crosby (Himself)
Charlie Chaplin (Himself)
Frances Gillford (Doris)
The Nine Old Men (as Themselves)
Mel Blanc (Little John)
Cliff Edwards (Jiminy Cricket)
Walt Disney (Himself, Mickey Mouse)
Clarence Nash (Donald Duck)
Pinto Colvig (Goofy)
Billy Bletcher (Pete)

Notes: I may have completely butchered TTL's The Emperor's New Groove, but I can assure you that something similar will take its place down the line. Anyways, as far as changes go, the first half of the film is almost a carbon copy of OTL's The Reluctant Dragon and the original STC's Raya and the Last Dragon, while the second segment is an adaptation of "The Emperor's New Clothes" starring Mickey Mouse and friends. That idea was actually considered as a short IOTL, so I decided to implement that in here as well as a few traces of OTL's Mickey and the Beanstalk.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to mention: The Sorcerer's Apprentice is releasing alongside the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Last edited:
How high was Hunchback’s budget for it to have never earned back its earnings? Even Fantasia IOTL made a profit through re-releases beginning in 1969. Speaking of Fantasia, it’s basically confirmed to be released in the 1950s ITTL right? Along with Snow White.

Speaking of Fantasia, it’s basically confirmed to be released in the 1950s ITTL right? Along with Snow White.
Yes for Fantasia, but you'll have to see with Snow White

How high was Hunchback’s budget for it to have never earned back its earnings?
I'd say around 5-6 million in 1940 standards, the religious tone of TTL's Hunchback might have a part to play in this. ITTL, Hunchback didn't re-release until the 1980s and 1990s, and Disney more dismissive than he did with Fantasia IOTL. Despite this, Jiminy Cricket still has the same effect IOTL.

Yes for Fantasia, but you'll have to see with Snow White

I'd say around 5-6 million in 1940 standards, the religious tone of TTL's Hunchback might have a part to play in this. ITTL, Hunchback didn't re-release until the 1980s and 1990s, and Disney more dismissive than he did with Fantasia IOTL. Despite this, Jiminy Cricket still has the same effect IOTL.
To put that into perspective, Fantasia’s budget IOTL was $2.3 million and Pinocchio’s was $2.6 million. For the budget of Hunchback to be double that is mind blowing to me.

For the budget of Hunchback to be double that is mind blowing to me.
Yup. That is also one of the reasons why despite taking the slot of OTL's Pinocchio, TTL's Robin Hood is more tame and less extravagant despite still failing to turn a profit in the box office. Think of it as Walt's side project and Hunchback as his "Magnum Opus" at the time.

Hunchback’s budget was 5-6 million dollars? Were there any films released around that same time period that had a comparable amount?

Hunchback’s budget was 5-6 million dollars? Were there any films released around that same time period that had a comparable amount?
I did the math and 6 million dollars in 1940 dollars would be like having over 131 million in today's money and there were a precious few that cost around the same like Forever Amber but that was it.

As it turns out, developing a coherent plot for the 1941b film would be harder than I thought, it might take longer than a week for this one...

I did the math and 6 million dollars in 1940 dollars would be like having over 131 million in today's money and there were a precious few that cost around the same like Forever Amber but that was it.
Wow, no wonder Hunchback never makes a profit here.
As it turns out, developing a coherent plot for the 1941b film would be harder than I thought, it might take longer than a week for this one...
If it was an original story IOTL then yes I can see how would be extremely difficult to develop a coherent plot, especially if it takes place in the present-day. No worries though.

Wow, no wonder Hunchback never makes a profit here.
Even in TTL's 2023, Hunchback is seen as way too ambitious despite being the strongest film in the Golden Age

If it was an original story IOTL then yes I can see how would be extremely difficult to develop a coherent plot, especially if it takes place in the present-day.
It's OTL counterpart isn't an original story, or at the very least based on material that didn't exist in 1941. I will be basing it off something else however.

I have fast-tracked the 1941b film and most of the writing has been completed. The only problem is coming up with a proper cast and polishing both the final plot and the main post itself up, expect it this weekend.

Also, despite me mentioning Atlantis in previous updates, it might not be the 1942 film after all as I am currently deciding on whether to replace it with something else. If so, I'll update here.